Chakotay
2 (4.4%)
T'pol
4 (8.9%)
Other (?)
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: June 30, 2004, 10:59:13 pm

Author Topic: Favorite Trek Commander  (Read 11094 times)

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by TrashMan

HAHAHAHA.. DS9 and Voyager are the worst by-produts of TV Series mutalatin I ever seen!

They have an astounding amount of logical flaws, plot holes and time-travel. I can't beleive people criteria has gone down taht much....

And Sisko is a complete tard too. He's not fit to command a garbage dumpster!

Ok, your opinion then differs from 99% of all Trekkies, Warsies and Fivers alike. Not that I care... Anyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes.
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Spock!
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Tiara, from where do you come up with the 99% figure?
I belive 40% max....
I do visit Trek related forums, so I should know...

Andweather you like it or not, there is something called subjective oppinion, and there is something called fact-based truth.

And this:

They have an astounding amount of logical flaws, plot holes and time-travel. I can't beleive people criteria has gone down taht much....

is the truth....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
And this:

Arguable.

is the truth.... [/B]

Opinion.

TrashMan, you should just stop now, before you make yourself look like even more of an ass.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
No no, let him have his voice. He's entitled to an opinion at least. No matter how stupid, retarded and/or utterly wrong it is.

VOY: No ****.  --- DS9: :wtf:

And T: The BoP had the Enterprises shield frequency, remember?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Yeah, they probably also had the Ent-D's phaser/torp frequencies I imagine too, since the Ent-D's phasers did jack when they returned fire. Not much you can do in a situation like that except maybe take advantage of the only Klingon in Starfleet that you have on your bridge that might know a weakness in that BoP. Oh wait, that's what Riker did! He gets my vote. Besides, he plays the trombone and musical talent is cool. :)  Meh, TNG was always may favorite anyway.. I grew up on it. *sigh* memories...

[edit]spelling[/edit]
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
I'm gay for Riker. Grraur!
lol wtf

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Well he does have that big burly man-chest going on...  ;7
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Eh, they might've had the shield frequency but even then they would've had the power to obliterate the BoP 5 times over with a single alpha strike. It was an outdated piece of junk. But Riker just went 'HUH!? ABANDON SHIP! ABANDON SHIP! ME FIRST THEN THE WOMEN AND THE REST STAYS BEHIND!'. Seriously, any capable commander would've ****ed those Klingons over even if they had access to Geordi's visor.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
You know, there is a commander missing off of this list:
Commander Charles Tucker III.

Technically the XO, and engineer. Afterall, you can't let the second biggest space-pimp in the universe out of this poll. (Kirk being the biggest space-pimp) :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Thorn

Arguable.

There's nothing argualbe about that.
I did write a whole LONG list of logical holes and plot holes in a nother thread.
They all stand and you can't dismiss them without provind me wrog (which you can't).
And I'm not talking about "this is not possible, so it's a logical hole" kind of mistakes, I'm talking about plot holes that go against ST physics and races.

Opinion.

TrashMan, you should just stop now, before you make yourself look like even more of an ass. [/B]

Well, the second thing was more a oppinion than a fact....
Alltough I still say that he's not fit to be a capitain...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by Ace
Technically the XO, and engineer. Afterall, you can't let the second biggest space-pimp in the universe out of this poll. (Kirk being the biggest space-pimp) :p

Nah, Picard is the second biggest space-pimp. He doesn't do **** and they still come running to him...

And Tucker got T'Pol just because she's all high on Trellium-D. :p

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by TrashMan

There's nothing argualbe about that.
I did write a whole LONG list of logical holes and plot holes in a nother thread.
They all stand and you can't dismiss them without provind me wrog (which you can't).
And I'm not talking about "this is not possible, so it's a logical hole" kind of mistakes, I'm talking about plot holes that go against ST physics and races.

Seriously, you must be joking right? In any sci-fi that isn't hard science fiction you'll find plot holes. So, unless you take on Honor Harrington or something don't bother.

Let's see:

B5:
- 2MT nukes destroy a Sharlin. Yet they manage to hold off a shadow slicer for a few seconds on the fin no less.
- They have no viable evidence of Inertial Dampeners, yet a shuttle can pull 24,000 G in the scene that it goes from Mars to Orbit in 10 seconds flat.
- Sheridan flies in a damned space suit holding a nuclear device to destroy the Third Space artefact. If scanners are as good as they are said to be, they'd detect the nuke and blow Sheridan up before he arms the device.
- etc etc etc

SW:
- A small little craft manages to destroy a DeathStar. He can fly all the way to the core and fire a missile. Now even a half finished construction would have some sort of protective layer around the core. Shielding or otherwise.
- T3h Farce. Well, that's just fantasy alltogether. The B5 Psi corps are far more believable in contrast to the Jedi knights of the Round f-ing table.
- Multi gigaton blasts make a 2 meter hole in the ground where it'd normally blow away entire cities.
- etc etc etc

These things are called PLOT DEVICES[/u].

Well, the second thing was more a oppinion than a fact....
Alltough I still say that he's not fit to be a capitain...

So, your opinion of a captain is someone who blindly follows orders, doesn't take initiative and just sits there? Instead of a good captain who questions his orders if they are just outright stupid? Who questions his entire government when things go haywire and it's the right thing to do?

In other words, you like boring ass captains with the will of a reprogrammed Cylon.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Tiara
- Sheridan flies in a damned space suit holding a nuclear device to destroy the Third Space artefact. If scanners are as good as they are said to be, they'd detect the nuke and blow Sheridan up before he arms the device.

To be fair all the ThirdSpace aliens were a little busy at the time shooting the perfectly visible enemy ships to bother scanning Sheridan :)

Besides they may have believed that the aliens on board could handle him.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
And it's been established that the nukes used in B5 are hard to detect, as are people floating free in space.

In The Beginning showed Minbari sensors couldn't detect the nukes and Into The Fire implied Vorlon and Shadow tech couldn't pick them up unless they were real close or were actively looking for them.

And let's not forget that there was a battle going on at the Thirdspace device. They probably thought Sheridan was just a chunk of debris.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
And still.. it's moronic :p

Well, I guess their scanners just plain suck unbelievably compared to Trek... or any other sci-fi serie. :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Tiara
And still.. it's moronic :p

Well, I guess their scanners just plain suck unbelievably compared to Trek... or any other sci-fi serie. :p

And trek sensors which can distinguish between individual people on a planet of several billion aren't moronic?

B5 sensors are mearly closer to reality. Besides unless the sensor rings a huge alarm bell a sensor is only as good as the person manning it.

Besides I've already stated that they could have seen Sheridan and simply let him in so they could steal his nuke :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by karajorma

And trek sensors which can distinguish between individual people on a planet of several billion aren't moronic?

B5 sensors are mearly closer to reality. Besides unless the sensor rings a huge alarm bell a sensor is only as good as the person manning it.

Why do people make such a big deal out of this? :doubt: It's pretty simple. Each individual/species has a heat signature, unique compound in their blood or other distinguishable features. Even today we have simple scanners that can detect individuals from a great distance. A few hundred years from now this wouldn't be special AT ALL.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The problem is:

How are you going seperate the heat from other sources from those of that individual?

How are you going to analise their blood? :wtf:

How are you going to apply that on a planetary scale?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by Ghostavo
The problem is:

How are you going seperate the heat from other sources from those of that individual?

Look for the source of the heat. Scanners with such ranges should be able to do that from orbit.

How are you going to analise their blood? :wtf:

Not their blood, the compound in their blood. Like we have iron in our blood. Vulcans have green blood. Which could mean that instead of having Iron in their blood, they have nickel in their blood.

The metals is what color our blood ;)

How are you going to apply that on a planetary scale?

They can scan at light years range (thx to subspace). i doubt a planet wide survey would be that hard in comparison.