Author Topic: Current progress...(_the_ SWC historical thread)  (Read 63479 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Hippo summed all it up pretty well, but let me add that we better need texturers than anything else as of this moment. We have dozens of untextured meshes that are in theory ready to be put in game (without POF, of course) but without any kind of texturing, it wouldn't be possible.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Gank

So XWAUp was the only other Star Wars mod out there using originally built ships? Crikey.

There were a few others, I came here from the swnr mod for homeworld. None really that were usable though. Problem with fps type sims is you need a more detailed model than an rts for example. I thought this died a long time ago. Iirc theres another mod been made no?

I have two questions.

1.) If the Mod is dead, as Hippo sayed in a other Thread, why for the Hell this subforum and the starwars conversation site is not deleted? And why i got a pm, in that i've been asked how i can help?

2.) Why anybody cry necrophilla if I post in old threads? Or talks something about reading dates? I can read dates! But so i have to ask: Is it part of the FAQs that we have to start a new Thread if we wont to ask/say anythik? In all forums i visited, the Adminstration don't want Thread-Spamming. So i am always looking if there is a thread that deals with the topic i want to talk.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
For your questions come answers.

1. The mod is dead, but the forums and website stick around for the sole purpose that to just trash them would be a waste. I would presume you got a PM from TopAce, who, while understanding that we are dead, continues to try and recruit for some unknown reason.

2. the reason thread necrophilia is frowned upon is because making someone read a 3+ year old again to understand what the hell the new post is on about is annoying. When threads reach their point of ueslessness, they naturally settle to the bottom and are replaced by new ones. this means that there is usually a source of everything new that people decide to talk about. Look in general Freespace. there are topics being brought up that we have literally discussed hundreds of times, and beaten them to death as often. This becomes an annoyance because someone wont take the time to look and see that they are rarely bringing new ideas to the table and are instead wasting other peoples time.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Am I trying to recruit people? I didn't know. Last time I did that was like one years ago.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I for one find that reviving this one wasn't so bad, because it has a lot more info than a lot of stickys I've seen, and probably should be one.  I think it would get tiring to keep re-explaining all the info that's in this thread every time someone wanted to ask what's going on.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Now that I am caught up on events, I hope that when the finale comes, KARMA (or whoever has the majority of files) will let it become a public release so some sort of enjoyment can come from the effort they put into it before it simply goes to the trash bin. And who knows? It might someday be the base for a resurrection.

One can dream...   :nervous:
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And what has metaldestroyer got to do with SWC?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
And what has metaldestroyer got to do with SWC?

Table editing I think.

I have e-mailed KARMA about two months ago. I wanted some answers,afterall he disapperead one month before I joined the community...

He could be dead,seriously. Many people are dying here,at least 3 for each News.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Like i've said, KARMA went away for an unstated amount of time, came back, went to school, the army, and a ton of other stuff...

AHTW

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
At least he should have responded to an e-mail sent by me.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Which Army? US-Army? Iraq?

Offline Dysko

Italian Army (or at least I suppose so, since I read somewhere that KARMA is Italian).
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Italian Army (or at least I suppose so, since I read somewhere that KARMA is Italian).
:nod:

AHTW

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Check his e-mail address. "Ferrarese",which means that he comes from Ferrara. You may contact him. DySkO. That place is too far from my "mafia-town".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Creash

This is truly a terrible shame :(  Ever since the X-Wing and Tie Fighter Series quickly became absolute in the wake of games like Wing Commander III, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter appearing crap in face of Freespace and Freespace 2, there has been a great need for a well developed Star Wars flight simulator that could take use of engines such as that of Freespace 2.

I am actually surprised that Babylon 5 and Wing Commander were the first projects to come off the FRED developer assembly line, considering how epic Star Wars is in comparison to these series (NOTE: I love each and every series though, but Lucas has taken his epic to the bank in terms of merchandising  ::) )

I guess I did not take into account that unlike trying to get the copyright approval for less mainstream "marketed" epics like Babylon 5 (from Warner Brothers I guess?) and Wing Commander (from Origin), that good ol' multi-billon dollar Lucas Arts would fight tooth and nail for their money mother load of a franchise.  I wonder why it's more difficult here for Freespace 2 as apposed to other games such as Homeworld who have made SEVERAL mods...but perhaps that's because they aren't total conversions.

If a successfully Star Wars standalone were made, I'd have the best of EVERY single science-fiction flight sim genre to play on my comp:

Freespace

Babylon 5

Wing Commander

Star Wars

(NOTE: Battlestar Galactica = good show, but I don't care so much for a flight sim considering the limited number of fighter craft)

It's my hope that someday the good people here at Hard-Light Productions will find a way through the red tape and can bring this project to fruition.  I've been dieing to make my own custom Star Wars space missions in a flight sim, and it'd look simply beautiful taking the Freespace 2 engine as a foundation.

Here's to those working on the project:

I can understand you putting it on the back-burner for a while till you clear things up, but for the sake of all us dedicated Star Wars fans...Freespace fans....and the like, don't give up completely on the project if you can please.  This would mean a lot to a great lot of people, and our appreciation would go without questioning.  'Jump to Lightspeed' in Star Wars: Galaxies and the flight portion of Star Wars: Battlefront II aren't enough to feed our craving  :P

Take a breather, and please, start again getting the magic happening.  We're counting on you  :yes:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 07:33:50 pm by Creash »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Red tape is not holding this project up.  Nobody on this mod has heard from any official Star Wars source either positively or negatively.  The only reason this project isn't going anywhere is because nobody is working on it.

I'm not on the project, but I'm interested in seeing it continue too.  As other people have noticed, this board should be in the Archived Forums section due to inactivity.  The only reason I haven't moved it there is because I'm hoping someone will step in and fill the shoes of the previous project leaders.

The weird thing is that nobody seems to want to work on it.  Several people have contacted me expressing interest in reviving the mod, and I've also contacted several other people.  Unfortunately, whenever I ask them to follow through on their initial application, I get no response.

The problem isn't mods.  Between the Star Wars Conversion and Imperial Alliance there is more than enough content to make excellent progress.  The problem is manpower.

Offline Creash

Guess what needed is just what your doing Goober.  There's a need for mass recruitment for some new, eager, but dedicated MODers who can pick up the pieces and get the process going again.

Have you asked around others already very active in Hard-Light Productions?  Possibly see if you can recruit some others currently working in The Babylon Project or Wing Commander Saga who aren't major FREDers but can do the hard part of getting those models into a working fashion?

I'd be happy if they could just make a total conversion with absolutely no pre-made missions are campaigns.  I just want the tools that I can use in FRED to make my own missions.  I don't know the complicated mechanics, programs, and utilities used to actually BUILD the ships...so sadly I can't help there  :(  Just a dedicated FREDer here.

Good luck in getting some folks to get this back on track.  We'll be hoping 'n' waiting anxiously  :)

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
I would gladly work on the SWC unfortunatly  can't fred and my modeling is limited returreting ships.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hope you're not including me in those people who haven't followed through, I fully intend to try to get some interest back into this mod, and I'm planning on having a IRC meeting very soon if I can get people to come.  I'll be officially announcing it very soon (maybe in about 5 minutes) in another topic, and maybe another area or two as well just to get it noticed.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays