Author Topic: FRED 2 open question  (Read 954 times)

Offline Ryan

FRED 2 open question
I heard in some FAQ that in FREDOpen, things that once required dozens or hundreds of SEXP's can be done in just afew. Besides this, I don't really see a reason to use one or another. I can't really find a SEXP in fred2 where i need hundreds of events and lines.

Are missions done in FRED2 compatible with games on 3.6.9? Or 3.6.9 on retail? I would like to know to decide what version of FRED to use please.

So, are they both compatible with eachother? and what the FRACK needs hundreds of SEXPs to work on Fred2? please,

Just curious, thank you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: FRED 2 open question
Anything written in retail FRED will (or should) work in 3.6.9.  If you use 3.6.9 then your missions probably won't work with retail since there are new sexps and features that aren't in retail. 

As for who needs hundreds of sexps I do for one. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: FRED 2 open question
That's a line from my FAQ and I didn't say that anyone made the events that required hundreds of SEXPs. People just said "It's not worth doing" and gave on what they had planned to do.

The main reason for using FRED2_Open is that you can do lots of things in it that are either completely impossible in retail or so much work that they aren't worth doing.

Here's my advanced FREDding tutorial. With the exception of having two Scars I don't think there is a single thing in there that would have been as easy to do in Retail. And at least half the stuff would have been impossible.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]