Author Topic: Janus revisited  (Read 20230 times)

Offline Miburo

• The Janus
    • Tales of EAS Janus
So far lots of help on my grammar, but virtually zero help on FREDing. I need fredders above all, otherwise grammar part is pretty pointless :(

*snip*

I'll check the FRED part, i couldn't spell/ grammar check to save my life.
Still a noob in FREDing, tough.

Thats one and vastly better than nothing, thanks :)
I PM you shortly.

If you have any problems I'll be happy to help but I'm pretty sure you can figure out most of the stuff yourself.

I am yet to run in real problem, but it is certainly going to happen at some point.
Lady Rose, survivor of VWBB with 1198 post, lost somewhere along the line

Creator of Tale of EAS Janus campaign
Mod leader of FWW2 - Finland At War 1939-1945 for Armed Assault

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

Thats one and vastly better than nothing, thanks :)
I PM you shortly.

Ok, awaiting PM. :)

Offline Miburo

• The Janus
    • Tales of EAS Janus
Sorry forgot about that, check your PM

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Sorry forgot about that, check your PM

Done. Check Forum, please. :)

Offline Miburo

• The Janus
    • Tales of EAS Janus
Done.

So anybody else willing to help with FRED? This project really needs more than one additional member.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
C'mon guys, join in and FRED a bit, don't be shy! ;)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
mate, I need to finish FortuneHunters 2261, I am already getting blackmail emails  :)
Not to mention WC Saga, other non-FS2 projects, learning Java, Real Life, ...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
mate, I need to finish FortuneHunters 2261, I am already getting blackmail emails  :)

Then finish it...NOW Mr. Lennier Vidmaster [/Capt. Sheridan] :D

Not to mention WC Saga...

ah, right...

other non-FS2 projects...

*waves with hand*
There are no other non-FS2 projects

...learning Java...

*waves with hand*

You don't need to learn Java

Real Life...

oh, that's a tough one...

*waves with both hands*

you don't need a Real Life...

:D

Where's the rest of the FREDders?

Offline Demitri

I would love to help but my FERDing skills are as close to being zero as you could possibly get.  :(
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
It's not real clear from your original post as to what the scope of the project is.  Are you fixing the original campaign to work with the latest release of the Babylon Project or are you doing a complete rewrite?  I've done some fredding work with the FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project on troubleshooting and fixing problems with Campaigns as well as editing.  If you can use some help in those areas I would be glad to assist.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Miburo

• The Janus
    • Tales of EAS Janus
It's not real clear from your original post as to what the scope of the project is.  Are you fixing the original campaign to work with the latest release of the Babylon Project or are you doing a complete rewrite?  I've done some fredding work with the FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project on troubleshooting and fixing problems with Campaigns as well as editing.  If you can use some help in those areas I would be glad to assist.

From first post:
Problem with this is all is that most of missions (80%) needs huge changes and a lot of rewriting, other part (15%) needs complete rewriting and planning, remaining (5%) needs just some rebalancing.

So its more of rewriting, even thou its a poor word for this. Would be better to say bug fixing + extending exsisting missions.
I take any kind of help that is offered in any form.
However I still do need dedicated FREDers, at least one more.

One more thing, I havent seen many (if any) comments on mission. Can't be that hard to finish it? Feedback me.

Offline starlord

Please forgive me for Seeing this thread quite lately.

I once recieved a PM stating that terran emperor might be willing to contribute (although that remains hypothetical). I'll warn him of this thread.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
As I've said Said to Starlord, im willing to help with FREDing.

Just two things,

1) i need the original missions/campaign
2) I need to know which Build is being used...

Note: I may be able to FRED but i will need a tester, due to ongoing Graphics Problems. FSOpen has become almost TOO awesome for my poor old graphics card to handle.

My suggestions:
1) If we are updating to 3.6.10, then i suggest we wait for the selection of the Final Release Candidate to be made
2) Modeling the "Nova-X"

The "Nova X" Background
The Nova-X is essentially a "Fanwank" explanation for a visual mistake in Babylon 5.
But this page will explain it far better than I can

The nova-X should be easy to model...Add a modified version of the
Unfortunately my modeling skills are worth jack! So can someone point me to some "Idiot's guide to Blender" so i can teach myself how to make models
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
As I've said Said to Starlord, im willing to help with FREDing.

Just two things,

1) i need the original missions/campaign
2) I need to know which Build is being used...

Note: I may be able to FRED but i will need a tester, due to ongoing Graphics Problems. FSOpen has become almost TOO awesome for my poor old graphics card to handle.

My suggestions:
1) If we are updating to 3.6.10, then i suggest we wait for the selection of the Final Release Candidate to be made
2) Modeling the "Nova-X"

The "Nova X" Background
The Nova-X is essentially a "Fanwank" explanation for a visual mistake in Babylon 5.
But this page will explain it far better than I can

The nova-X should be easy to model...Add a modified version of the
Unfortunately my modeling skills are worth jack! So can someone point me to some "Idiot's guide to Blender" so i can teach myself how to make models

You can find a link to the original campaign in Miburos signature, and the build we're using is the default TBP 3.6.9..

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Thanks.

Its just with all this talk about upgrading TBP to 3.6.10, i though that was what was being done
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline starlord

Is the nova X indeed the "proto" omega? or is it another experimental vessel miburo?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
There's a Nova-X in Den5's "In The Beginning" campaign, but its actually more like an Omega-X, in that its got Shadow armor and better weapons.  There remains a possibility that the two had some creative collaborations, and chose to use the same ship.  Of course, its just as likely that this Nova-X is based on the rotation-equipped Nova prototypes, which were a result of the CGI blunder in the "In the Beginning" movie.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

The differences between RC2 and the official 3.6.10 build will fairly minor. There's no good reason not to start work with RC2 now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Miburo

• The Janus
    • Tales of EAS Janus
Nova-X that is used in Janus campaign(s) is Nova with Shadow textures and armed with Drakh style beam weaponary (light blue). It was originaly made by Pera for TBP 1.0 and he suggested to me that I would incorprate it to campaign, which I did. He was working at shadow spike/leg extensions (Omega-X style) to Nova-X, but I never received it from him (he went missing).
In revisited Janus (if it gets made) will be used Nova with shadow textures, nothing fancier.

Original campaign and TBP 2.0 patch can be found from my sig. Patched Janus is made for 3.6.9, but I really dont see any reasons why it wouldn't work with 3.6.10 either as karajorma pointed out.

Terran Emperor, check your PM folder.

I run TBP on my old computer with 1.6Ghz, 256Mb (or 512?) and very very poor 3d card (original machine I used to run FS2). Can't make it much worse than that  :rolleyes:

Offline starlord

Shadow tech already? I'm not a B5 expert myself, but isn't the minbari war period a bit early for the emergence/discovery of shadow tech? I simply would have thought the nova X to be the "soon to be" omegas.

Besides, Isn't janus described as being a nova dreadnaught? Shouldn't that make it that big battlewagon without any rotating section or did she get refitted as a nova X/omega?