Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 913847 times)

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
The Kulas might be the 2nd best fighter in the GTVA fleet, only behind the Atalanta. The only real flaw of the Kulas is low secondary capacity but the turn rate and amazing burner duration more than make up for it. The Kulas is really REALLY good in AoA for chasing down and killing packs of Shivan heavies/bombers while outmanoeuvring the Shivan fighters.

It might seem kinda crappy as an enemy on lower difficulties due to the AI turn rate reduction but if you let it turn at tabled rates it's actually pretty threatening with that 4-bank of Balors or PromS.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Keep running into this. Only tested on 27th, 30th, 3rd, and 4th nightlies. Doesn't show on 3.7.4.

[attachment deleted by admin]
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline Kolgena

The Kulas might be the 2nd best fighter in the GTVA fleet, only behind the Atalanta. The only real flaw of the Kulas is low secondary capacity but the turn rate and amazing burner duration more than make up for it. The Kulas is really REALLY good in AoA for chasing down and killing packs of Shivan heavies/bombers while outmanoeuvring the Shivan fighters.

It might seem kinda crappy as an enemy on lower difficulties due to the AI turn rate reduction but if you let it turn at tabled rates it's actually pretty threatening with that 4-bank of Balors or PromS.

The wiki suggests that the strength of the Kulas is in its ETS efficiency. You can literally crank shield energy to max with 1 pip in guns and nothing in engines, and it still flies quickly enough and won't really run out of gun juice. AFAIK, AI would never figure this out, and might explain why it's much weaker in this fighter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
AI is pretty good with the Kulas though, they still benefit from the massive burner sustain.

The Kulas is still pretty good even without abusing the ETS. But yes, the fact that you have 21s burners that don't have to be pumped makes it so you can have 0 power on engines while burning(since burners can't recharge while being used anyway, only when being "pumped") and the AI will never do this.

Even without its burners the Kulas is like a slightly upgraded Perseus(and that's saying a lot considering how amazing the Perseus is). It has similar turn times with a slightly faster pitch and a slightly slower roll, similar durability(-70 hull, +60 shields), and more firepower. A single 4-bank can output 50% more DPS than a 2+2 configuration, which becomes important when you'll mostly be using the Balor.

And it makes sense for the Kulas to outperform FS2 craft while not being quite TEI level, it wasn't designed from scratch to be a military fighter, just refitted into one. It performs a similar niche to the Draco but in a lower-tech and lower-power fashion.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline -Norbert-

But it does have worse firing points than the Perseus, so not all of the +50% DPS will land on the enemy. But that doesn't make it bad. Far from it.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Those firepoints really kill me sometime (hue).

Offline CKid

The only beef I got with the Kulas is the placement of its sensors subsystem. You take one AA beam to the face and you go blind. I've had to restart Forced Entry more that a few times because of it.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Snarks

Huh, it occurred to me that I never flew the Kulas in BP because the tech description made it sound like a subpar fighter built because of its low costs. So if the Kulas is indeed on par or even better than FS2 era ships, does it make sense to still keep producing the Perseus? Or does the Kulas replace something else, perhaps serving as the next generation light fighter, like the Ulysses.

Obviously heavy fighters like the Hercules, Ares, and so on have a role for delivering heavy ordnance (even if they aren't the best choice for the Sol theatre).

Offline QuakeIV

• test
The Kulas has weapon energy issues (who doesn't these days), however when coupled with the Balor its quite effective.  Secondary banks are smallish but not stealth fighter tier or anything.  I have completed most missions with it without issue.

The primary placement is actually pretty good. The total distance between the banks is comparable to the Perseus, the only big problem in terms of weapon placement is the single secondary bank which makes it rather hard to effectively use tempests beyond knife range.

And yes, the Balor eliminates all weapon energy issues and is the most effective primary in BP so there's no reason not to take it.

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
You guys should probably have a look at Love the treason's weapons screen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What's up with it

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Several fighters with only one Subach and no secondaries. Well, there's Tempests and Hornets, while the Rockeyes and Harpoons are all on the other wings, which you can't edit. There's only 4 Prom Rs and no Subachs.

Now that I've looked, even MVPs version has several fighters with only one Subach and no secondaries, but at least you have Rockeyes and Hornets to choose from.
Also, 2 Subachs and 2 Prom Rs.

Freespace 2 proper is the same as MVPs Freespace.

So, I guess my only complaint is that I can't pick another Subach and Rockeyes, since there shouldn't be Harpoons in this mission.

OK so the error might lie on my understanding but the Nahema's NEM.NOW file reads:

Shivan fighter-bomber and cause of significant consternation. Like the Mara, the Nahema appears to be a traversal design, pushing through a phase space bottleneck into a new array of optimae. Although superficially an effect-sophistication optima, with excellent performance, the Nahema also appeared in tremendous numbers, accounting for a major fraction of Allied casualties during the Second Incursion. We must conclude that it is also promoted by sophistication.

If my understanding of Shivan optimae is correct, shouldn't that last sentence instead reads: "We must conclude that it is also promoted by scale"?
What is an "old nazi plate"?

One puts food on it then goebbels it up.

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
When did EMP hell become a thing in The Great Preservers?

And why is a Seraphim shooting AAA beams at me?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:03:38 am by Makhpella »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
EMP hell?

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
As Lightning Fall walkthrough. Heh.

Only it's not as fun with 20 hostile ships around you. And it's more constant than the loop mission. There must be some ships equipped with the EMP missile.

There's another mission where I've noticed it, don't remember now. Think it was still with the Vishnans.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:29:23 am by Makhpella »

Offline CT27

Where would you say the Nyx ranks among GTVA TEI fighters?

Offline Aesaar

Still pretty good, but not as good as the Draco or the Atalanta.