Author Topic: WCS Open (Alpha release)  (Read 16579 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
WCS Open (Alpha release)
The release

Simply put, this is WCS ported to Freespace Open.

This only an early alpha release, as there are still a few bugs to iron out (for example, capship warpout deceleration), a few minor features that haven't been re-implemented yet (for example, different HUD for each ship), and some easy improvements that could be made over the original (skippable dialog, some well placed checkpoints) - but it is 100% playable from start to end, for both the Prologue and the 50 missions of the Hermes campaign.

I would appreciate bug reports, ideas for (simple) improvements that could be made, and any support from anyone interested in helping me polishing this.

The intent

The main goal is to turn WCS into a new way to attract people into the FSO community, just like Diaspora is. As long as WCS runs only on a separate engine, players are much less likely to ever discover what they're missing here. And if they do discover it through WCS, they are going to have negative bias toward it due to their experience on an outdated and closed engine.

The second goal is to bring back multiplatform and multiplayer support to WCS, as well as allowing modders the full range of FSO features they've been missing for the past year.

If anyone modding WCS wants help converting their mod to WCSOpen, I would be happy to oblige.

Installation

Unrar the WCSOpen folder in your WCS Folder. Copy-paste a recent FSO exe in the WCS folder (you need a full install of WCS, preferably patched) and use the launcher of your choice to select WCSOpen as a mod.

This was tested on the latest BP builds from here, but it should work on any recent FSO build.

Important notes (in no specific order)

• If your wingmen get stuck at the exit of the hangar at the beginning of a mission, go away from the carrier (use time compression if necessary), they should get unstuck eventually. Missions usually do not progress until they have properly taken off.
  • Some missions feature extremely large asteroid fields that will reduce performance very sharply if you use shadows. You can still use a shadow-enabled build to play these missions if you disable shadows (command line '-shadow_quality 0').
  • I still need to do a pass on all missions to remove some unused WCS flags that will pop up a lot of (skippable and non-fatal) warnings in debug builds. You are advised to play with release builds until next release.
  • Longbows tend to get very stuck in hangars when exiting and especially when landing. I have increased the radius for end-mission triggers in those missions, but I may have missed some. Feel free to report if you get major issues with them, and try to land from the back of the carriers, as you will have less distance to cover to reach the trigger zone.
  • Because we're limited to 4 secondary banks, some symmetrical banks got merged for ships that had too many banks.
  • Time compression was re-enabled
  • CBrief anis were temporarily disabled because of this issue

Download link

Mediafire

I will get this hosted on FSmods.net once I get to something a bit more polished.

TODO list, for those interested (in no specific order)

Code: [Select]
- Do a pass on all the missions to remove all the flags that make debug cry me a river
- Ship-specific HUD
- Fix the diaspora-like Missile/Gunpoint preview HUD
- Fix the capship warpout deceleration
- Try to find why we get skybox seams
- Fix the missions with Longbow landing issues
- Dialog skip
- Checkpoints where needed
- Find why you can't scroll down in command briefings
- Implement flaming debris and piercing effects
- Fix the position of external secondaries
- Reduce the size of extremely large asteroid fields for better performance on shadow-enabled builds.
- Some secondaries have no preview in loadout screen
- Check if loadout selection is not broken
- FRED a few proof-of-concept multiplayer missions
- Use collision groups to make sure wingmen don't get stuck when exiting carrier at mission start
- Use framebuffer cloaking effects
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:27:00 pm by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Re: WCS Open (Alpha release)
Thank you, Matth! I've been waiting for this for a long time now!
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Wow, you got it to run on trunk? I'm impressed. On my end I made a custom build just to parse the new flags'n'stuff ^^. In any case, this is awesome!

Regarding dialogue skips: I've already implemented some in most of the missions, along with some other modifications, feel free to grab them to include them in your mod --> github repo, there should be a "download as zip" button somewhere on the bottom right corner of the page.

I've still got the code base for my franken build thingy, but I don't think it's quite up to latest trunk. Karajorma might have something more recent.

*goes to update to latest trunk*

EDIT - code updated to trunk, fresh build in progress.

EDIT 2 - ****ing build errors - will fix that Wednesday
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:55:51 pm by X3N0-Life-Form »

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Here is my hud_gauges.tbl and scripting.tbl. The hud_gauges.tbl contains HUD layouts for the Arrow, Hellcat, Longbow, Excalibur, Thunderbolt, and Sabre for 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1280x720. The scripting.tbl was adapted to work with standard FSO builds, and it makes the hardpoints gauge work as it did in WCS.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Could you post a specific changelog of features removed from tables and missions? I'd like to get a picture of SEXPs and table options that are not in regular FSO builds. I only know about expanded gun/missile limit (which is, BTW, something that I'd really like to have in trunk).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I only know about expanded gun/missile limit (which is, BTW, something that I'd really like to have in trunk).

Multiplayer is the big issue there. It breaks the hell out of it. Loadout is another but that one isn't as bad. I can't remember if WCS allowed you to use the loadout menu with the six gun ships.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah, WCS did use the loadout menu for 6 missile bank ships (it only expanded this. Wimps, why stop at 6 if you're doing it? :)). Personally, I'd like the limit to be made as high as possible. Of course, it'd still be constrained by practical concerns, like HUD space and the simple question of "what could 10 gun banks possibly be good for?" (aside from shooting things, that is, but you can do that with just one bank, too. :)). Loadout screen space would probably be the most important issue here, since it's not customizable like the HUD and quite finite in capacity. Still, 12 gun banks and 12 missile ones would probably be doable (while I don't see much use for that many gun banks, 12 missile banks could be used with ships equipped with external missile rails).

While I don't care for multiplayer, others do, so it'd be rather important to make sure the FSO implementation of this feature would work with it. Do you think the new pilot code will help here?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think the loadout rewrite I'm currently working on is more pertinent. :p

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Found a small bug from autoconversion:

In the mission Demo-03-BG-Hermes.fs2, line 3093, you need to add a "do-nothing" operator, as otherwise the parser will break, like so:

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( every-time-argument
   ( any-of
      "TCS Kennedy"
      "TCS Warspite"
      "TCS Dominion"
      "TCS Churchill"
      "TCS Highlander"
      "TCS Nova"
      "TCS Spruance"
      "TCS William Travis"
   )
   ( has-arrived-delay 0 "<argument>" )
   ( do-nothing )
;;   ( set-forward-deceleration
;      6
;      "<argument>"
;   )
)
+Name: Slow down Kennedy BG
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1
+Team: 0
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Argh.

Thought I made sure all missions ran before releasing. Oh well. With 55 missions I was bound to miss some :)

Will be fixed in next release.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
oooooooooooh nice
i SO approve of this!
seperation is bad, this is good
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If someone were to upload the WCS data in a suitable format, Linux and Mac users could finally play this game!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If someone were to upload the WCS data in a suitable format, Linux and Mac users could finally play this game!

technically they can already use wine to do that (:nervous:) BUT native is always better in my book, so hurrah & carry on :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I found something that could be of use. You commented out $Bomb Range Multiplier: in AI.tbl, but I've found an option called $Secondary Range Multiplier:, which does the same thing, except it affects all missiles. Since the only place where this flag is actually used are bombers (which don't fire AA missiles much), you could re-introduce this option. Also, you commented out $Death-Roll Time: in ships.tbl. This option, in fact, exists in normal FSO builds, it's just called $Base Death-Roll Time: there. The details of the implementation might differ slightly (I believe WCS has an override, while FSO modifies the base value), but at 100 milliseconds, there should be no difference. If possible, try restoring those two for the next release.

Offline Luke

Very interesting, i will test it. Thx Matth. :)

I'd like to report that the loadout selection for the Thunderbolt is broken as I cannot select either the gun or missile banks on the ship's panel in the loadout screen.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I got that problem too, was already on the to-do list. It's not the only part of the interface that's broken, you also can't scroll down in command briefings. Haven't had a look at that yet.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I got that problem too, was already on the to-do list. It's not the only part of the interface that's broken, you also can't scroll down in command briefings. Haven't had a look at that yet.

This is due to the WCS data missing the 2_commandbriefb interface files. Scrolldown support in CB's is a FSO addition.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Today I learned, WCS ships got no debris. Hence flaming debris script don't do dothin'

I be sad panda now.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It'd be great if there was a way to generate a hulk model of the main, with -destroyed models used where available and a special "damage" overlaid on the regular model via shaders (sort of like Team Colors work). WC3 and 4 both used hulks like that.