Author Topic: First-ever direct image of a black hole  (Read 5898 times)

Re: First-ever direct image of a black hole
A hole in the <1 billion ton range will radiate more than one gigawatt! You'd be vaporized by its light before you could get close enough to get sucked in!

So, you're saying we would only need about 1,210,000,000 tons of black hole to time travel?
(also is that per second or hour?)

Is it actually only a GW? It is not that much on a cosmic scale.

No, it wouldn't be, but it's also ridiculously small. "A trillion kg, puts you at about the mass of a moderate size mountain" (src) which would be compressed to black-hole size.

EDIT: Dang it, ninja Dekker!

note that the brightness of Hawking radiation is inversely proportional to the square of the mass; there’s no known way to produce black holes with masses less than a star, so these small bright holes remain entirely hypothetical
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

From something smaller than a picometer and not tremendously massive? Yes it is.

From something smaller than a picometer and not tremendously massive? Yes it is.

I don't doubt that a GW/<picometer is a lot; just compared to other things cosmic things it doesn't seem that much out of human scale.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
So the d'deridex was on to something....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
We were doing black hole math yesterday to figure something out for a story, and discovered that very small black holes (on the order of millions or billions of tons, nothing you'd ever see up there in the sky) are actually insanely luminous

Black hole Hawking radiation was even proposed as very efficient starship propulsion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_starship
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Back some time ago, Isaac Arthur made a couple videos on how black holes can be used as an energy source or a matter-to-energy conversion tool. I suggest you watch it, these videos are really good.

Also, isn't what happens at LHD when particles impact each other technically creating single super tiny black holes that "evaporate" via Hawking radiation?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

No, that’s never been observed. As far as I’m aware individual particles are not expected to exhibit black hole-like behaviour until around the Planck energy, which is astronomically far beyond the wildest dreams of the LHC.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I don't doubt that a GW/<picometer is a lot; just compared to other things cosmic things it doesn't seem that much out of human scale.

I don't know how to explain it to you if you don't get it already. It's not on the cosmic scale. It is a fraction of the size of a helium atom and weighs a very earthly amount (about the mass of a large mountain).

Just that if you had used something different you might have come to more impressive results.

Here's something that's still tiny but utterly destructive from a (hard) sci-fi side (I hope they did their math right): https://orionsarm.com/eg-article/49fe3e605d052.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 03:32:06 pm by Nightmare »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
:rolleyes:

?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You are not making sense on a number of levels.

1. Conversations aren't about having the biggest numbers, this isn't Stardestroyer.net

2. Yes, if you make things up, you can make very big numbers. If half of the matter in the universe became antimatter, and then we teleported it all to be coterminous with the other half, we could make a very impressive 'result'.

3. Yes, if we were talking about something different, we would indeed be talking about something different.

4. Why do you think any of this is...interesting to say? What are you trying to communicate?

1. Conversations aren't about having the biggest numbers, this isn't Stardestroyer.net

Who says that? :P

I felt somehow that this was quite a more spectecular use of space-time things, but over the years since I read the article I forgot that it wasn't about hawking radiation, yeah... :sigh:

For those who are curious about how the EHT does its interferometry thing, in about 12 minutes:

Offline Luis Dias

Battuta, during your calculations, did you figure out how much time would that mountain-mass black hole would survive before complete evaporation?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Battuta, during your calculations, did you figure out how much time would that mountain-mass black hole would survive before complete evaporation?
I mean, since it's direct matter->energy conversion and you know it's radiating at a gigawatt (to start with) you can give a rough estimate of 1 billion tons * c² / 1 GW = approximately... 2.584 * 10^12 years, or approximately 190 times the age of the universe. That's an upper bound, though; the smaller the black hole, the faster it evaporates, meaning that the actual time will be significantly less. Specifically, according to the formula for black hole lifetime I found, it would take... 1.99 * 10^12 years, or approximately 140 times the age of the universe. So, still a fantastically long time.

(A black hole the mass of an aircraft carrier would apparently last about 2 years.)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

Whoa that's quite a lot of energy.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I did but I forget. It wasn't short by human standards. It should probably be easy to recalculate with any number of black hole doohickies, let me check...

I get something like 8*10^9 years.