Author Topic: So the SG Rahu is essentially...a glowbug???  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
So the SG Rahu is essentially...a glowbug???
Ok, after looking at the SG Rahu (I'm not going to call it the SSG Rahu because of the name inconsistency which was already discussed long ago) in the Database, I have to ask: Is the red rotating cylinder of the Rahu the fore or the aft of the ship? Judging by switching quickly between the Moloch and the Rahu in the database view, the aft section of the Moloch corresponds to the red rotating cylinder of the Rahu. That doesn't make sense to me if the Rahu is a gas miner that is supposed to function as a ram-scoop like the GTG Zephyrus or the GVG Anuket. The scoops are on the fore of both the Zephyrus and the Anuket, but on the aft of the Rahu. So how do Rahus scoop up deuterium of their scoops are in the rear of the ship? Are the Shivans so inscrutable they can reverse polarity on the laws of physics and make their gas miners into reverse vacuum cleaners or something? :eek2: :wtf: :nervous:

But if that cylinder really is the engine of the Rahu, then what part of the front of the Rahu scoops up the gas? I don't see any sort of aperture in what is supposedly the fore of the ship. And with that red fatass of a ship's stern, the Rahu really does look like some sort of demonic glowbug. I can't unsee that no matter how hard I try. :ick:

Or did :v: just goof on the database and the Rahu is only reversed/aft-forward in the database view? :rolleyes:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: So the SG Rahu is essentially...a glowbug???
Hoover in the front, storage in the back,  propulsion in the [REDACTED]
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Front end has three intakes to collect the gas presumably, then transferring it to the large cylinder (the back).

Ok, after looking at the SG Rahu (I'm not going to call it the SSG Rahu because of the name inconsistency which was already discussed long ago)
I'm stealing this (if that's cool) :p. That being said, maybe the rotating cylinder is a secret Shivan Mjolnir-like turret...

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
The Rahu looks like a very well fed Shivan tick.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

My personal guess is that the Rahu was meant as some Mjolnir equivalent at first with the rear section being a beam turret, then got inverted and ended up as gasminer for a single mission; just that :v-old: forgot to turn SSG to SG.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
The Rahu looks like a very well fed Shivan tick.

See? Shivan ships have a (very deserved) reputation for looking insectoid, but the Rahu not only looks like a tick, it looks like a glowing tick.  :wtf: :nervous:

My personal guess is that the Rahu was meant as some Mjolnir equivalent at first with the rear section being a beam turret, then got inverted and ended up as gasminer for a single mission; just that :v-old: forgot to turn SSG to SG.

Knowing  :v:, this is eminently possible.

Shivans with Remote Beam Cannons, now there's a scary thought...has anyone ever made such a mod? Because I think I could use that for DatDB. :drevil:

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Shivans with Remote Beam Cannons, now there's a scary thought...has anyone ever made such a mod? Because I think I could use that for DatDB. :drevil:
I don't believe so. That being said Scrolls has this super-sized Belial-like turret that could reasonably have it's turrets changed to SReds or something like that.

I *think* somebody did.. but I am not sure... :nervous:

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
I *think* somebody did.. but I am not sure... :nervous:
I derped. You are correct. https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/User-made_Ships#Other_.28Cargo_Pods.2C_Sentry_Guns.2C_Etc.29

Annihilator and Somnath are RBC's. Erebos is the one used in Scrolls. Chakra is a shield generator.

Ah OK, thought it was Scroll because there's some Rahu model hanging around in the modfiles. Besides that, I've never played that part of Scroll :warp:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
The Annihilator is a Remote Beam Cannon? Then why is it armed with Plasma cannons? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but aren't plasma cannon essentially blob turrets? (Keep in mind that I'm admittedly talking out of my ass here because I have no idea what plasma cannons are or what they look like.)  :nervous:

I ask the same question concerning the Somnath as well because according to its Wiki entry, it's armed with an "STurret [that] is a toned down sred beam cannon." Aren't SReds just antifighter beams? The only thing I know about SReds is that two of them is what is put in place of the FS2 version/mod of the SD Lucifer's scripted Flux Cannons from FS1 and that there was some controversy over placing something so weak in place of the Lucifer's main weapons. (As before, talking, ass, no idea, etc.)  :warp:

The concept of the SSP Chakra is...interesting. :drevil:

The Order of the Stick

The version of the Anihilator I have has 4 beams which are probably less powerful than SReds. SReds are Cains/Rakshasas and Molochs main gun(s).

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
The version of the Anihilator I have has 4 beams which are probably less powerful than SReds. SReds are Cains/Rakshasas and Molochs main gun(s).

And judging from my replay today of Proving Grounds, SReds can be a threat to capital ships since that Moloch threatened the GTD Aquitaine. Ok, the SRed as an RBC doesn't seem so farfetched now. Four of them on the Annihilator (especially if they have overlapping fields of fire) is nothing to take lightly. :shaking:

The Order of the Stick

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nah the SRed is terrible. The Rakshasa has 3 and it's not a massive threat to destroyers (which you'd hope an RBC would be, the Mjolnir sure is.)

e: it's not the worst cruiser weapon but it's definitely not Mjolnir caliber, even with 4.

Annihilator beams do 4180 damage per pulse, so *4 is 16720 per round (fire wait: 7 sec). So it's pretty much.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What the **** is an Annihilator and what does it have to do with the Sred

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Sred has a sustained DPS of 167. Four of them sustain about 700.

A single Mjolnir beam sustains either ~1200 or ~2400 depending on which version you use.

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/SSG_Annihilator

Somebody probably thought "Hmmmm... the Mjolnir is pretty much OP... but the Shivan variant has to be more powerful, **** sanity"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Right but I’m talking about the Sred.

Sry I missed the 3 min time window :p

What the **** is an Annihilator and what does it have to do with the Sred

@Su-tehp: TLDR when you want to make some Shivan SRBC just take one of the Mjolnir beams, color it red and don't use any custom unbalanced stuff. :)