Author Topic: A new Freespace game/mod idea  (Read 2167 times)

A new Freespace game/mod idea
(Head on down to bold text to skip to the idea)

Have anyone played Urban Assault 2 from 1998? Or Executive Assault 2, the indie game available on steam. I love these RTS, FPS mixes.
If anyone hasn't ever played them, here's a gameplay link:

Urban Assault 2:
An active modding community exists here> https://forums.metropolisdawn.com/index.php?sid=732428cfc5918577a036d4989b7dd4e0

Executive Assault 2:
Summery of the games.

Urban Assault 2 puts you as the commander of a host station. Basically a station you build all your units and buildings from. This is also from a FPS perspective. You can control all units from an RTS stance, but you can also enter any of these units and enter the combat from an FPS stance. It's a quite amazing experience IMO, I love being able to play something in RTS and then join the battle. This is a futuristic era, battling aliens, other human factions to save planet Earth.

Executive Assault 2 puts you as the CEO of a space company, producing any goods of your own choosing. (goods are all the same but you get to name the goods for good fun). You battle other CEOs for space territory and glory in a normal RTS skirmish. Difference here is, you as CEO are first put in FPS, but you play the game mostly in RTS by immediately entering the RTS chair. From here you build your space station, you build ships and robots to acts as soldiers, and up to 16 executrons total (other human players) may play with you or the other CEOs as well in each team. You can then also join the battle by controlling the robots in FPS combat, or the space ships, fighters and capital ships in Sim shooter. It's a great game all developed by one man.

Here's my idea
A Freespace game, where you play missions from an RTS perspective like Freespace: Fleet Command, the mod for Homeworld. And then being able to enter the fighters or even capital ships you build, entering the space combat like i Freespace Open.

Would be awesome. [crazy thoughts]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:38:15 pm by Meatball »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:22:15 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Re: A new Freespace game/mod idea
Yes I mean like that haha :p

Does that mod still work or did it got luabroken?

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
The last post on the mod's thread is someone asking for help in getting it to work. That was in August of 2019. Dunno if they just made a mistake while trying to install or if it's broken, no one replied to them.
Potato!

Well most lua-change related things throw out tons of errors so I presume he just installed it wrong.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Double checking the install is a good idea, but it could certainly be the case that engine changes may have changed something. Usually well written lua scripts don’t crash much.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Being able to switch between fighters could be done in a lore-friendly way by stating that you are actually stationed on a cap ship and flying drones via remote. If one drone gets fragged you simply take control of another one instead. Could open up some interesting attritional warfare tactics. :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Double checking the install is a good idea, but it could certainly be the case that engine changes may have changed something. Usually well written lua scripts don’t crash much.

I don't know if it's good or bad that something can break in these scripts and you don't even notice it directly...

Being able to switch between fighters could be done in a lore-friendly way by stating that you are actually stationed on a cap ship and flying drones via remote. If one drone gets fragged you simply take control of another one instead. Could open up some interesting attritional warfare tactics. :-)

Yeah I've been thinking about something similar too.

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft

There's also the EVE Online justification of your consciousness being transferred to the brain of a fresh clone of your body.
Potato!

That would have the disadvantage that your consciousness gets blown up with the ship though, also you could have tons of clones that develop their own... heads.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
That would have the disadvantage that your consciousness gets blown up with the ship though, also you could have tons of clones that develop their own... heads.

Wait, don't clones have to develop their own heads? What would be the point of making a bunch of headless clones? (Unless you're doing some sort of strange reenactment of Sleepy Hollow or something.) :nervous: :eek2: :eek: :wtf: :confused:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Well I don't know anything about Eve; so if your consciousness gets completely transferred it'd get blown up, if not they might turn against you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:30:17 am by Nightmare »

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft

In EVE the spare clones are "blank" until they get activated by your consciousness, and theoretically your consciousness doesn't stay in the ship long enough to be blown up, as the transfer is initiated as soon as the chip in your brain detects that you're 100% about to die. 

The whole thing gets a bit complicated by philosophical ideas of what consciousness is, but in-universe it just works.
Potato!

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

In EVE the spare clones are "blank" until they get activated by your consciousness, and theoretically your consciousness doesn't stay in the ship long enough to be blown up, as the transfer is initiated as soon as the chip in your brain detects that you're 100% about to die. 

The whole thing gets a bit complicated by philosophical ideas of what consciousness is, but in-universe it just works.

Huh, it sounds a bit like what's implied happens to the Vorta in Star Trek Deep Space 9: the Vortas are all clones and when one of them dies, their memories are uploaded into an identical body.

Of course, that sounds like a gimmick, but since it allowed us to have an awesome actor like Jeffrey Combs continue to play Weyoun, an awesome Black Comedy Smug Snake character, it was a gimmick that worked. :cool: :D :cool:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Luyten Civil war used that "fly multiple ships" concept in 1 or 2 missions.

Offline SL1

IIRC, Starshatter and House of the Dying Sun have that kind of gameplay to varying degrees, if you're looking for something that's already available. I think Starshatter makes you rise through the ranks as a pilot for quite a while before you get to command fleets, though.

You mean like this?  :)

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81590.0

Damn. Is there anything FS2 Open can't do?

The Empire tried something like that in X-Wing Alliance, with drone TIEs controlled remotely by pilots on a nearby ship. Of course, the control ship wasn't particularly well-defended, and once it's blown up, you lose the whole squadron at once, so it's no surprise that they scrapped that idea.

Huh, it sounds a bit like what's implied happens to the Vorta in Star Trek Deep Space 9: the Vortas are all clones and when one of them dies, their memories are uploaded into an identical body.

Of course, that sounds like a gimmick, but since it allowed us to have an awesome actor like Jeffrey Combs continue to play Weyoun, an awesome Black Comedy Smug Snake character, it was a gimmick that worked. :cool: :D :cool:

It wasn't quite the same, though, because the clones were still separate entities. There was one episode where there were two Weyouns alive at the same time, who interacted with each other and had different opinions.

I just got the idea from playing Homeworld with the Freespace, Fleet Command mod. I just imagine seamlessly hopping into one of those crafts while playing Homeworld. Would be so cool!

Damn. Is there anything FS2 Open can't do?
Given the combined power of SEXP and LUA scripting, you can do a staggering amount of things, like building whole new subsystems/sub-engines on top of FSO.