Author Topic: Where do you get ideas?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: Where do you get ideas?
Try throwing the missions into <mod library>/FS2/MVPS-4.1.23/data/missions. That will make sure that they're "attached" to MediaVPs regardless of anything.

These extra missions probably come from the GOTY Mission Pack which has been "integrated" into MediaVPs (it's a separate mod required by MVPS).

Eventually, you could just create yourself a new, private mod in Knossos dev tab and then throw the missions in the proper place in your mod.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I am at a loss currently. Where do all of you find inspiration for your new missions?

I'm seriously considering microdosing

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
<snip>
I'm seriously considering microdosing

Parts of BP already feel like a good acid trip anyway, so this can only bring improvements
Potato!

Offline Darius

The point of microdosing is to not induce a trip :P

My normal conscious is crazier than micro dosing ever could be. :p

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Steal from other campaigns. :D

This is actually a good starting point. Other campaigns have their own storylines, but they leave a lot of room for "filler". For instance, during WiH's development, Darius made a mission focused on the Battle of Neptune, the very first skirmish between the Alliance and Tevs in the war, and The Blade Itself is set during Artemis Station in WiH's campaign. In addition, the ship description of the Erebus alone might give you some ideas of how the time gap between the Capella Supernova and AoA can be played out in missions, although I think it might be quite boring (simulations, drills, war games, Admirals Bei, Steele, Severanti and Armanjani having discussions and drinks among themselves, execution of the Threat Exigency Initiative, etc.).

Even the retail campaign leaves a lot of scope for the imagination. You could do a series of missions where you're a pilot stationed on the GTVA Colossus, follow the NTC Alexandria as it charged the Knossos with the Grall docked to it and explored the nebula beyond Gamma Draconis, or chronicle the history of the other Aeolus cruisers that don't feature prominently in retail missions.

If you find it daunting to write an entire campaign plot from scratch, try using the storyline of an existing mod and reimagine it in another mod. For instance, Inferno Release 1's plot in Blue Planet continuity would be quite interesting, I think, if it starts off with the Fedayeen nuking the other end of the Sol-Ross 128 subspace portal and creating an opening for the UEF to take the fight to Alliance systems like the EA did.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:38:25 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

In general, I think it has become quite hard to go into completely original territory, especially if you're limiting yourself to retail/MVP-only assets without any custom assets and have no lua skills to make new features just by yourself.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
For my part, when I came up with the idea of Devil and the Deep Blue, I just pondered the question of what Volition meant when they said that "the Shivans are a sympton of a larger problem."

I decided that meant that the Shivans had their own nemesis that they had been fighting for millennia (or longer) and that the GTVA stumbled onto said nemesis and had to test the old adage of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" with an alien race that was not only just as powerful as the Shivans, but just as inscrutable as well.

Inspiration is where you find it.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

"What would :v-old: do?"

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
"What would :v-old: do?"

Oddly enough, yes, that's a good way to sum this up. It's what I asked myself before I came up with DatDB.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast