Archived Boards > The Unification War

Afterburners in TVWP

(1/8) > >>

BlackDove:

--- Quote from: Admiral Nelson on December 28, 2007, 10:02:22 am ---Only the Falcon has no afterburner.  The Shrike and Falcon projectile streams converge at 300m in front of the firing ship, mitigating the wide spaced gunpoint issue.

--- Quote from: BlackDove on December 28, 2007, 07:22:33 am ---Actually, I find the limited afterburners that run out after a few seconds of use a cock-up.

I get it, you pulled it off in the engine, congrats, but you've created a massive loophole in where you'll need to introduce (or just generate the obvious disparity) the new magical engines that run on TIME and not fuel (as are the engines of Freespace). That kind of crap suspends disbelief.

--- End quote ---

I had thought of a cunning plan for the "how come afterburners use fuel now but not later" thing.  A major advance of the Angel was to be the removal of the restricted afterburners.

--- Quote from: Lt.Cannonfodder on December 28, 2007, 07:42:14 am ---I completely deny that I had anything whatsoever to do with that outro cutscene  :P

--- End quote ---

How about a nice fresh one, then?? :) :) :)

--- End quote ---

There's absolutely no way you can introduce engines that run on time, replacing engines that run on fuel.

"Oh hey, those old engines that run on fuel? Old. Here's some new ones, that don't need fuel. You just have to wait for them to recharge, and they work forever! WOOOOOOOO!!!"

And any OTHER avenue of attempted explanation (like, they run off the suns in the system, are vacuum powered, or any other crazy ****) just brings you that much further to the theories that sound non-believeable and force the player to accept something that they know wasn't decreed by canon (or Volition). It's akin to writing the Shivan Manifesto. Bat**** crazy.

You should've just left it alone, and made the recharge time much slower than we have on our FS1/FS2 ships.

The Spac:
My theory is that afterburners have become an overburn of the propulsion system that can only be safely maintained for a certain duration. Which is why your engines glow brighter when they are active :-D :-)

jr2:
Jeez.  Has BD ever heard of a capacitor?  How about a flash bulb? (The kind that operate cameras.)  The RC doesn't put out enough power to the engine system to power the afterburners all the time, so it charges a capacitor.  When AB is engaged, the capacitor drains.  That's basic concept, anyways.  Now, you could also use fuel, but that brings the problem of running out.. you'd have to refuel.  ;)

Snail:
Who knows, maybe the technology to recharge/refuel afterburners is already made, but is only on capital ships. They were miniaturized or became cheaper later and were fitted on individual fighters, like subspace drives.

jr2:
Capships don't have ABurners.  They could really, really use them, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version