Archived Boards > Stellar Assault

Stellar Assault FSO - The Old Thread

<< < (36/36)

AndrewofDoom:
We have been doing stuff and such, so yeah. Just wanted to post our news update and make you doods aware of it.

chief1983:
Paint.NET _fixed_ it?  I always had to save those with Gimp because Paint.NET does something horribly wrong.  I think you might need to look at how your channels are really set up.  Black or not has nothing to do with it, it's opacity.  You want black but only at about 10% opacity or less for a lot of surfaces, and more solid black for highly shiny surfaces.  In fact, the color is only the way the app represents it to you I think, it could show it white, red, or black, depending on the app.  It's opacity that matters though.  Paint.NET probably broke it but differently, unless the plugin has been updated.

Quanto:
Paint.net works perfectly.

I tested the textures of the Sinope on TGA first, then I converted to .dds in Gimp. Horrors abound.

After a conversation with The_E, it was discovered that either I didn't understand how Gimp's plugin works, or that it didn't work at all, but when it was saved in .dds from Paint.net, the results were exactly the same as the TGA versions. So I'm sticking with Paint.net now, plus it loads up a hell of a lot faster, and it takes fewer mouse clicks to get what I want from it.

[edit]
Oh, and I _was_ talking about opacity. An Alpha channel is the color channel that controls an image's Opacity.
100% Black = 100% Transparent
100%White = 100% Opaque

Thats basic graphic design knowledge, I'd pity anyone who attempts to create textures or even web graphics and not know that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version