Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 92405 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
:bump:

Thoughts?
New capital ship(s)?  :)

Fleet carrier(s)?  :)

New surface vehicles when tho?
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd settle for modular weapons for the SRV.  Anti armour/anti ship/anti xeno.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So I got this game, and presumably there's a squad.

My Cmdr name is z64555, as usual.  Please give me a shout here on the forums, IRC, or discord if you want to be friended otherwise I may just ignore the request.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'm on there as Dobbsylondon mate.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
An unabashed bump for this.. Apologies for a day late.

More info here..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/gamescom-reveals-fleet-carrier-details.520110/

But key points as below

Quote from: Frontier_forum

Ownership
Purchasable with a large amount of credits.
One Fleet Carrier per Commander. Available for base game and Horizons players.

Capacity
Fleet Carriers have a total of 16 Landing Pads, composed of:
8 Large
4 Medium
4 Small
Set permissions to allow others to dock at your Fleet Carrier.

Operations
All Fleet Carriers feature rearm, refuel and repair services.
Commanders can choose a number of loadouts for their Fleet Carrier, governing services/module and ship availability to support a number of different activities, such as:
Bounty Hunter
Mercenary
Pirate
Trader
Smuggler
Miner
Explorer
Search and Rescue

Travel
500 LY jump range (per jump)
Schedule jumps from the Galaxy Map when you want and from wherever you are in the galaxy.
Commanders require a unique resource to fuel the Fleet Carrier in order for it to jump.

Clearly being full time working father of two children aged under two there is no way I'll be affording one of these before they move out 😂😂

Who wants to donate the GTVA Colossus to the Hard Light squadron then?   ;7

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Its probably in the hundreds of milluons, if not in the Billions range.

Turambar can probably afford it.  :yes:
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I reckon GenBat and Der_E have gpr a fair stash of cash.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

i have the better part of a billion in storage, though it may have been wiped out by parts cost adjustments
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I hope they add ways for players to pool money for a massive purchase like a carrier...

That said, it looks (right now) like carriers are going to be personal, meaning players don't need any sort of squad affiliation to get and operate one. There was some mention of docking permissions, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that "squad only" is an option.

Colossus could very well be a go! :)
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I picked up this game (along with the Horizons season pass) during the last Steam sale, and am planing on playing for the first time today.  I have no idea where to start other than in-game tutorials, so I am reading a ton of "getting started" stuff and will be reviewing this thread again.  I am Cmdr Deathspeed; hope to see you in-game!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I hooked up our squadron to Inara to maybe make it a bit more visible and garner some more interest.  We can push our pro FSO propaganda as well.

Its kind of barebones at the moment but as time goes by we/I will work on it some more.

Inara currently lists me as the squad leader, but IronBeer is the "actual."  He hasn't been around for awhile though, most likely due to life stuffs.  If I'm overstepping here just let me know and I'll gladly take down the squad page.

I can also list the Hard-light Discord, if peeps want it.

It should be noted that the Inara page is seperate from Elite's in-game squadron managment, either it predates it or doesn't have the capability to sync with the squadron data like it can do with individual player data.  This means for folks to join the squadron on Inara will also need to register on Inara and then join the squad from there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:22:14 am by z64555 »
chief1983

------------

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I've got no objections and inara has always been separate to some degree.

I've not been on in a while as my main gaming laptop is down pending maintenance /repair .  I'm relegated to some ryzen / amd vega 3 thing that runs old games and indie games.  Elite would make it explode.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've got no objections and inara has always been separate to some degree.

I've not been on in a while as my main gaming laptop is down pending maintenance /repair .  I'm relegated to some ryzen / amd vega 3 thing that runs old games and indie games.  Elite would make it explode.

I played Elite with a Radeon HD 7770 for years, don't worry it should run fine.
The worst are the planets but they are still playable, forget about VR though. :P
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Vega 3 is........... On board graphics 😂😂😂
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Vega 3 is........... On board graphics 😂😂😂
Vega is the tech used originally for the top line AMD cards, Vega 3 is just scaled down to fit on a CPU dye.
It should be still slower than what I had but I played with a lot of stuff maxed out at 1280x1024, if you play 720p scaling down details (especially lighting/shadows and planets) it will probably be playable.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I've been playing this for a few months now, playing Elite:Dangerous - Horizons on Solo only I managed to work my way up to a Type 9 Heavy, mostly doing delivery and courier missions, until I somehow crashed it during an Auto-docking sequence. I needed the toilet so threw down my pad only to come back to the computer to find whilst I thought it was auto-docking I must have accidently pressed the accelerate button on the pad. I didn't even have enough cash to replace it so had to start all over again, lol. Worked my way back up to a Type 7 Heavy again so far.

Anyway I'm on there as Cmdr Chargingmajor if you'd like to add me as a friend on there.

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
If we can find a time to hop on together, we could wing up and do some mining, as its the best method of getting credits.  Since you're starting from square 1 again you may benefit from Eddb's trade loop finder.

[Update]  Managed to get in contact with IronBeer, turns out he's just doing Grad School stuff and has practically no time for games at the moment.  Let us bow our heads in this moment of silence for our comrad

He also managed to update the senior officer perms so we should be able to do most things now.  As a reminder, all old farts long-time members of the forums get senior officer status, while new blood gets officer or lower for the time being.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:37:42 pm by z64555 »
chief1983

------------

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
This is probably worth a second mention now that it is actually happening.

Elite Dangerous is free on the Epic Games Store until midnight (UTC +8) on Friday, November 27, 2020. Yes, this is the very same massively multiplayer online role-playing space simulation game that's not called Star Citizen.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Since I migrated to a new PC and the CH Products HOTAS plug&play driver numbers buttons differently I had to completely rebind the controls when I recently reinstalled the game (thankfully I used a website to get a jpeg refcard before uninstalling back then).
I haven't played the game in ages and apparently the patches in the last year or so made the game far less tolerant of mapping multiple functions to a single button so I had to renounce to a couple of shortcuts.
I vaguely remember the possibility to bind a shift button in-game somewhere but I haven't found it yet.
I am sincerely tempted to get a VKB Gladiator NXT to have more buttons and more reliable calibration since with the CH Control Manager software gone is not only the ability to use profiles but also input filtering because it was done via drivers. On one hand it's stupidly solid and it ain't gonna break anytime soon (five years of intense use and it's still basically new) on the other the VKB stick has a ridiculous number of buttons (*) has similar build quality and is self-calibrating (which they told me is the norm now with joysticks).

(*) The standard version has as many buttons as the old CH Fighterstick (about 20 counting the PoV hat as 4 buttons instead of 8) and costs more or less the same it did before all went to hell with CH Products joystick prices in the EU, the premium version potentially hits the 32 button limit per peripheral Elite has depending on how you configure it. For comparison my current stick has 14 (always counting the PoV hat as 4 instead of 8 buttons). The premium version in particular is pricey but, like, look at this: https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/gladiator-nxt/

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I bought the VKB Gladiator NXT Premium after a few weeks of watching videos and reading all the reviews I could find.
Happy with it so far, there was an issue that required a minor repair (the Y axis magnet was loose in its socket, it needed a drop of glue to fix it) and I had to get used to so many hat switches. The dual stage trigger wasn't really an issue like I feared and I liked the springy-ness with tactile click of the first stage, only the twist rudder is a really a new thing to me and I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. I'm tempted to lock it with the screw that was among the accessories.
I also swapped the default springs with the lighter ones because my weak nerd arms got tired a bit too easily, still heavier than my old CH Combatstick but much more manageable.
It's nice that the base is closed up with a heavy steel plate so the stick stays put much more easily while in use.