Author Topic: Patience is a Virtue, isn't it?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Patience is a Virtue, isn't it?
Well, I've come across a few threads about people complaining about ST:R not being released or dead or whatever...so I thought I should just air my view on ST:R here.

Yes, it is true that ST:R's taking a long time, but any sort of new or otherwise upgraded campaign would take some time. I, for one, am attempting to create a mission using the old Inferno, and I haven't gotten around to completing it! All I did was the front and end, but that's it. No debriefing, no briefing. No complex stuff of any kind...and that took me...what, a week or two?

To make a quality campaign filled with quality missions, a lot of time and effort has to be spent on scripting, testing, and, in ST:R's case, voice acting. When you take all this in, it is no surprise that a common layman like myself can take more than a week just to get one-eighth of a mission done.

The FS2 Team was only able to make FS2 in under a year because they worked for several days on end without sleep. Well, that's them. But this is us, and unlike the FS2 Team, whose job was to create FS2, people like Goober have a life to lead. You CANNOT expect them to work 700 hours without sleeping! That would be suicide!

Look: If you are a devoted FreeSpace fan, you WILL wait contently for ST:R to come out. For them to have spent this much time on ST:R on top of their real life means that they have done something very promising. As for me, I can't even spare enough time or effort to create a single mission...and I'm only a teenager! What more can you say about people like Goober, who are adults?

If you cannot tolerate waiting, do not linger here. Get out there, and get a real life. Once you're done, come back once in a while and look around.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Patience is a Virtue, isn't it?
Wow, I forgot to check this subforum.  *subscribes*

I really appreciate the kind words, Androgeos.  Thanks. :)

No one is more frustrated that ST:R isn't out yet than me.  And I mean that seriously.  I'm excited about the release, because it's going to be super awesome, but I'm not a fan of the amount of time it's taken.  Other people may be impatient to play the campaign, but they aren't saddled with the additional stress of knowing what the campaign is about, and knowing all the cool plot twists and surprises, and still having to wait for it. :)

If you'd like to know what's been taking this long, here's a bit of information on what's been going on.  The "release candidate" versions of the missions were finished around the summer of 2006, and beta testing began at that time.  I had hoped beta testing could be wrapped up quickly, but as it turned out, it lasted a little over a year, finishing around June of 2007.  June is when I posted the voice acting audition threads.  I allocated a month for auditions, and then it took another month waiting for Admiral Nelson to get back from business trips before realizing that he wasn't going to be able to help me select actors.  We've been filling roles a few at a time since then, but as of this moment we still have 3 major roles and a few minor roles unfilled.  We had hoped that we could finish before Christmas, but that doesn't look like a possibility. :(

We are, however, working on a few surprises.  When they'll be done I can't say, but I can tell you that you'll have more things to look forward to than just ST:R... and ST:R is well worth looking forward to all by itself. :D

hehe I agree with you Androgeous. I might add that I think it is awesome that Goober and Admiral Nelson and everyone else has been working on a conversion of silent threat. (thanks for the update too Goober!) Good things obviously take a long time to finish. I admire the dedication and persistence in trying to complete str, especially over a period of several years. i'm sure you guys will release a great campaign. keep up with the great work and I say that to everyone working on STR!  :)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Bah. I'd give ST:R the next five years to finish their project. I'll just get a life while waiting. Isn't that simple. :)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?