Author Topic: FS2_Launcher OS X 3.0  (Read 118423 times)

Offline Soulstorm

• You really don't want to know!
    • Soulstorm's Personnal Webspace
Re: FS2_Launcher OS X 3.0
Okay ... I just updated to the latest version, and I encountered a major bug.  It seems that the launcher is no longer actually putting the active mod into the command line (and replacing it with "mod "), as well as adding a weird (null) thing.  So if I have a mod that calls for the mediavps I get:

Code: [Select]
-mod mod ,(null),mediavps
When I should be getting something like:

-mod Derelict,mediavps

Please post your entire mod.ini file. I am trying to reproduce the bug. Just tried warzone, and seems like FS2_Open r5020 rosebay loads all necessary mods and dependencies. Did you delete your preferences file AND your FS2_Open configuration file?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:30:36 am by Soulstorm »
Soulstorm's website -- Articles, Programs, Forums, 3D art, and many more.

Offline Soulstorm

I made some changes to the launcher, and I have made a new version ready. I have changed to following:

- The custom command line drawer changes. It does not need refresh. It will ONLY hold custom command line arguments that don't exist in the main window (as requested by many people).
- The mod.ini parser is changed a bit.

Before using this, please delete both the FS2_Launcher preferences and the FS2_Open command line file. In order to simplify this process, I have created a small automator script that will do that, here.

Please test the application and post back with reports asap. I want to see if it works before releasing a new version and forcing anyone to upgrade...

EDIT: Please redownload. I have made a small update to the small update I did before the small update I made today  :lol:

[attachment deleted by evil Tolwyn]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:44:11 am by Soulstorm »

Offline ovvldc

For the record, my mod.ini file (in the root FS2_Open folder) is as follows, and I think it always has been:

[launcher]
image255x112 = FS2.bmp;
infotext     = Freespace II. No mods. No new effects. No new graphics. Freespace II Classic if you will. Select mediavps as your mod to activate the new graphics. Select fs1port to play FS1 or Silent Threat with SCP enhancements.  ;
website      = http://www.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums;

I also downloaded you automator script, which compains about a growl notification that it cannot give. :).

Best wishes,
 Oscar

Offline Soulstorm

OK I fixed the small application. How about the new beta of the Launcher? Still the same problem?

Anyone else tested it?

Offline ovvldc

Yes, same thing. I do notice that when I start the application anew, it still complains about a missing flag file. Then I tell it where my FS2_Open installation is, and that complaint goes away. BTW, the install is quite hidden in
~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/FreeSpace 2/drive_c/Games/FreeSpace2/FS2_Open 3.6.10 RC2.app

When I do select that app, the launcher gives the following message:

Unknown Command

Unrecognized command line parameter, "-", continue?

<quit> <OK>

Also I noticed that parsing seems to broken on the last command line last before 'mod':

As described in the mediavps readme.txt, I fill in
-ambient_factor 35
-spec_exp 15
-spec_point 1.2
-spec_static 1.5
-spec_tube 1.5
-ogl_spec 20

I hit save and reload, and all is well. Then I select mod fsport-mediavs. In the dependencies field, I get the following:
,fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps

Then I hit save and reload again, and not the dependencies show ,(null),, while in the other tab, I find '-spec tube' now says: 1.5 ogl_spec 20 mod ,fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps.

If I clear that line to say only 1.5, hit save and reload again, I get in '-spec static' 1.5 spec_tube 1.5 mod ,fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps

My cmdline_fso.cfg is now the following:
-ambient_factor 35,00 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 spec_tube 1.5 mod ,fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps -
My guess is that the trailing dash is wrong, and that it should be in front of 'spec tube' here. It see the same problem when I do not select anything with numbers, that the last command line option loses a dash, and there is a dash at the very end.

My next thought was that it might be the fact that I live in NL, and we have a comma instead of a period for decimals. So changed the config for -ambient_factor 35,00 to -ambient_factor 35.00. Still no love regarding the fsport mod :ick:..

Then I added a dash in front of the mod option, so that my config looks like this:
-spec -glow -env -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -ambient_factor 35.00 -spec_exp 15 spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5 -ogl_spec 20 -mod fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps
And it works. I got the very pretty fsport-mediavs intro bit  :cool:.

So to summarise: put the dashes in the right place, in front of every command line option.

Thanks for helping my get to the bottom,
 Oscar

Offline Soulstorm

Hm... thanks to your detailed walkthrough I figured out what was wrong. So here is a new beta:

-- The complain about the unknown command was expected and it involved a workaround in Cocoa. See, if the Launcher can't find a file in the command line file location, it will create an empty file. However, empty files in Cocoa mean a zero KByte file, which is impossible to read with standard Cocoa procedures, so it would result in a crash. So I created a file with a " " in it and that was mistakenly taken as an argument by the FS2_Open application. If you opened the command line drawer, the first line (the empty one) could be selected. If you deleted that line, you would have no problem. Of course, you shouldn't know that. I corrected it, though. Now, the Launcher will create a file with the "-spec" command in it. You can remove it later, when the app starts.
-- As far as the mod loading is concerned, I believe that your mod.ini file contained commas in some locations the Launcher didn't like. I made a workaround. Can you test it to see what works?
-- And as far as the Save and Reload procedure is concerned, I corrected that problem, but I think there's a bug on Cocoa and NSCombobox (which is the dropdown menu that selects the mod). Although you see that the dependencies mod isn't filled, if you reload again, the dependencies text field will be correct. That means that this will not affect your game. It's only a visual issue.
-- The dashes problem should be fixed now

Thanks for taking the time to provide me with information on improving the application. If you like, you can download the improved application attached below. Although I don't expect it to work flawlessly (due to heavy changes under the hood) I hope it helps you with your mods.

Can you please post the mod.ini file of the mod you want to load? The one you posted was the one of the FS2_Open Application. I need the one that is located inside the folder whose mod you want to load with FS2_Open.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:34:01 pm by Soulstorm »

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Looks like the mod parsing is working now.  At least in cases where it worked before.  Haven't tested the primarylist thing though.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:37:50 pm by blowfish »

Offline Soulstorm

Thank goodness, that is great to hear (read). Now oovldc remains...

What do you think of the new way the custom command line works?

Offline blowfish

Just discovered something ... when you select a mod that isn't recognized as an active mod, it doesn't even seem to add the -mod flag to the command line.

Offline ovvldc

Still no dice with the launcher  :(.  Here's my resulting cmdline_fso.cfg:

-spec -glow -env -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -ambient_factor 35,00 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1,2 -spec_static 1,5 -spec_tube 1,5 ogl_spec 20 mod ,fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps
It still lacks a dash in front of the 'mod' flag, and still loses the dash in front of 'ogl_spec'. And the first comma after 'mod' needs to go as well.

Here's the mod.ini for fsport-mediavps (I just used the JAR installer to download it, and did not change anything):
[launcher]
modname      = FSPort MediaVPs v3.1.1;
image255x112 = fsport-mediavps.bmp;
infotext     = Freespace Port Media VPs.  Requires FSPort 3.1.1 and standard Media VPs 3.6.10.;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,170.0.html;

[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps;

Actually, at the moment in FS2_Open, it is somewhat hit or miss for a newbie to find what goes where  :nervous:..

I think it would help if there were a section on the wiki, linked from the install pages, that explains where the FS2 files are (in your FS2_Open game folder, the config files in ~/library/FS2_Open, and a plist for the OSX launcher). Obviously different for win/Lin.

And also a page that explains the cmdline_fso.cfg file: where it lives, that you can use a launcher but also that it can be edited by hand, and that the options that you can put in it are found on this page.

Best wishes,
 Oscar
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:49:51 am by ovvldc »

Offline Soulstorm

I believe this will fix your problem... ;) (Hopefully)

It may also solve some other problems. I tested it with your exact mod and it worked for me. Remember to delete your preferences...

EDIT: Please redownload. I believe I have also fixed the problem blowfish discovered a while ago...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:02:05 pm by Soulstorm »

Offline blowfish

The problem I encountered is fixed now, only thing is unrecognized mods don't show up in the full mod field.

Offline Soulstorm

Thanks for the feedback. I will check into it when i get back. I hope oovldc is also fine with the changes so that I can release the new version...

Offline ovvldc

I think that's done it  :cool:.

Best wishes, and thanks for the perseverance,
 Oscar

Offline ovvldc

FYI, I noticed launcher 3.1 was released yesterday.

-Oz

Offline ovvldc

FYI, I drafted a Mac Installation Guide page on the wiki.

best wishes,
 Oscar

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Nice, but I probably would have just expanded on Installing FS2 Open, and by extension, Installing FreeSpace 2.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of Mac specific info there, and it could probably be wedged into the existing articles.  That actually probably needs to be linked to the FS2 Open on Linux guide too, as it's a very fleshed out detailed description for running on Linux.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline ovvldc

I considered that, but there is so much implicit assumption  in the wiki that the reader uses windows that I felt a bit overwhelmed. I didn't want to go and restructure all of these.

As for the linux guide, there are two difference: one is that there is an cmdline_fso.cfg file that takes the place of command-line arguments. The other is that mac users as a rule do not compile software. They get the disk image and copy the application over.

Anyway, feel free to take it away, put content elsewhere, rewrite, etc. I just wanted to put an overview for beginners on what steps to take and link to other useful pages. To illustrate the need: when I first got here, it took me an hour of digging before I had clear that FS2O works on Mac, WIndows and Linux, FS2 only works on Windows, and that I needed a Windows machine to get the files from FS2 without a big fuss...

Best wishes,
 Oscar

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I've gone over those two articles I pointed to and done quite a lot of work to make sure they cover OS X and Linux as best as I know how.  The first one is fairly platform-agnostic until you get to the part about the Launcher, which is where your new information would have been well placed.  At least perhaps a link should go to your article at that point now.  The article about installing retail FS2 files is about as platform-agnostic as it could be, there's even two sections just for non-Windows users.  I know a lot of the wiki doesn't a lot of non-Windows info but those two articles I thought do a fairly decent job (they still need work I'll admit).
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline ovvldc

Looking at the Installing FS2 Open page, I got confused at step 2, which only lists a windows launcher (my text for soulstorms launcher may fit nicely here, as you said), and at step 5, because it seems to assume the windows launcher (without saying so)..

Looking at the Installing FreeSpace 2 page, that is very neat. It might be good to move the details in the FS2-related parts of the install procedure here.

The main problem with the two pages you mentioned is that they are not easily found - I couldn't really get to them from the main page.
I get into the wiki and click on Getting Started.

From Getting Started, you can get to a page describing the  FreeSpace Open Installer, which tries to do two things: explain the installers and explain how to use them. Both are done too fast and are unclear. This link on the Getting Started page should be changed to your Installing FS2 Open page, which is much clearer. The article about the installer can then be properly focussed. And your Installing FreeSpace 2 page should be inserted before your Installing FS2 Open page, as the new number 3 on the Getting Started page.

I hope this is useful feeedback. No offense intended in my blunt phrasing. I can do the changes, but being a newbie here I am also reluctant to start cutting into experienced people's work, for fear that I might overlook or misstate something.

Best wishes,
 Oscar