Author Topic: WCHF Discussion thread (was: kevin caccamo's landreich campaign?)  (Read 146718 times)

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Re: kevin caccamo's landreich campaign?
That Drayman model is very old...  I will not be using it as the tender Sindri in WCHF.  I need a new model for the tender Sindri, but I don't have concept art, nor do I have a description of the ship to work from...
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
WCHF Dev Diaries entry 3 has been posted.  You can read it here on crius.net
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
Those cockpits you´ve built look very impressive. Unfortunately, the MFDs are all fake because they don´t work the way they should. Problem is they´re obstructing some really important icons you need in combat. It´s really hard to read the radar, though.
Maybe you shouldn´t overdo it...

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
Hi Talon,

a new WingCenter update is due concerning your newest archievements. This time it will show some cockpits and texture updates on some capital ships. Anything else, I should know about recent progresses?

Greetings,
Arrow

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
I've added in a few models from the WCS model archive, I've added debris pieces to some of the fighters, I've integrated the 3.6.12 mediavps explosion effects, I've done some more work on the weapon effects, and I've added player variants of Kilrathi ships.  I've also made some progress on the WCHF AI profile and classes.  The enemies in WCHF are much more challenging than they were in the WCS Prologue.

There hasn't been much progress on the missions or mission scripts...  Hopefully I can pick that up soon.

I posted some more screenshots here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=25406.msg1432162#msg1432162

Offline Arrow

• Denglish Interpreter
Nice screenshots! I will use a few of them if you don´t mind.

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
The campaign outline (synposis of missions, branches, ingame cutscenes) for the WCHF demo is now completed.  I'd really like to look into getting WCHF hosted on HLP, now that I think I'm in such a position to do so.

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
The Wake-class CVE has been optimized, the shinemaps have been completed, and the back of the hangarbay has been closed off.  The new Wake-class CVE model now uses only 6 textures, which is a great achievement, considering the previous model used 17 textures.  Reducing the amount of textures a model uses will result in increased performance.  The game will run faster with models that have less textures.

EDIT: Picture added

A new texture for the Scimitar is in the works...

Mission 1 is about 50% complete, and mission 2 has just been started.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:46:01 am by Talon 1024 »

That's great.
Btw I've translated an posted your update at wingcenter.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline starlord

Talon? Just thinking, but how about using this unused mesh as the sindri tender?

http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/C_Multi_02_Web.jpg

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
I would like to use one of the existing Priv Online designs for the tender Sindri, but I can't because that would be retconning a future Confed ship as a past Landreich ship.  That's the reason why I dropped the old Andrew Carnegie model.  Me and Bandit LOAF had a long discussion over E-mail on this topic, and I decided afterwards to keep retcons in WCHF within reasonable boundaries.

Offline starlord

Oh come on! :rolleyes:

There's no better way to use the designs than reusing them in projects like these... Hell: canon doesn't state that targu 2 frigates look like jakhari transports either during the battle for earth (as can be seen in standoff)...

As for canon, it can always be linked in the following way: an existing design that somehow resurfaces later (as seen with the arrow and the durango)...

For my part, I say keep the carnagie...

I've got a question about the cockpits: Are they full 360 degrees cockpits or just the forward part?

My Youtube Channel:

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Most of the cockpits will just have the forward part, since most of the cockpits in WCHF are converted and retextured Standoff cockpits, and most of the Standoff cockpits only have the forward part modelled.  If you try to look to the left or right, you may see some part of the cockpit model, but it will look broken.

The Scimitar cockpit will be a full 360 degree cockpit, however, since I modelled it.

Thanks for the answer.
Well, I suppose it'll look funny if I would use WCHF with TrackIR.

My Youtube Channel:

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Entry 4 of Kevin's Wing Commander: Hostile Frontier Developer Diaries
Progress seems to have slowed down, due to things going on in real life.  Also, this is the first Dev diary entry posted on HLP.

1. Model/texture updates
Here's some pictures to show off the latest model and texture updates to the WCHF fighters.  I've added details to the Rapier II, and I've also made a new base texture for the Scimitar, Rapier II, and Raptor.

These pictures will appear on the "Ships Database" page once I finally make a website for Wing Commander: Hostile Frontier.

2. Release plans
The Wing Commander: Hostile Frontier demo will first be released in English.  Shortly after that, a German version of the demo will be released.  The English and German demos won't have voice acting, however, since some of the missions may need to get redone.  If anyone is interested, I will be accepting voice auditions at any time. 

Once WCS The Darkest Dawn is out, the WCHF demo will be rereleased as a director's cut version that is compatible with WCS:TDD.  Once the voice acting is complete, a "Speech pack"* for WCHF Director's Cut will be released.

*I'm calling it a speech pack as an homage to Origin Systems, since they released voice acting addons to their games as "Speech packs"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:23:50 pm by Talon 1024 »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Looks great.
BTW, if you had some free time, could you make green versions of them (like the fighters from the Tiger's Claw)?

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Here's what the green (Confed) versions of the WC1 Landreich fighters look like.  The green skins will be included as bonus content in WCHF.

The Exeter-class destroyer has been re-turreted according to the Claw Marks drawings, and windows have been added on the sides.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Looks good.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
I've been held up with model requests lately, but I've sent in the hosting request for Wing Commander: Hostile Frontier.  If all goes well, I'll have a little space of my own here on HLP, hopefully as a child board of the WCSaga forum.

EDIT: Got a reply from Tolwyn yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:59:32 am by Talon 1024 »