Author Topic: HTL model, need testers  (Read 16429 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
HTL model, need testers
I'd like some FRED-capable people to test my HTL version of the EA Freighter 1. It' supposed to be 100% compatible with the old version, meaning that submodel names, paths, etc. are completely identical (with the exception of destroyed subsystems and debris, but those should pose no problem). I've tested most aspects already, but I might have missed something.
So I would like you to try it out in as many situations as possible, where subtle differences to the old version might break a mission. If you find something, please post your feedback here.

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD (Many thanks to all the people who implemented Collada support into PCS2, this wouldn't have been possible without it :) )

Note: This is a .rar with individual POF and DDS files. If you don't know how to install these, you're probably not the right person to test this, in which case you're better of waiting until I release a nicely packaged VP (which will also contain the container and the EA Freighter 2)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:30:18 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: HTL model, need testers
One thing I can think of off the top of my head would be alternate textures.  Are you going to have the other colors (think there are blue and green) available?

I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
 :eek: :eek: :eek: !
Impressive!
excellent work, very professional.
What program did you use for model?
And how do you convert it into pof?
Looks soo good.. can I made some normals maps for it? :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:13:43 pm by emi_100 »
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
One thing I can think of off the top of my head would be alternate textures.  Are you going to have the other colors (think there are blue and green) available?

Well, I'm gonna release the PSD file of the texture, so everybody can make his own variants. I've set up the UV mapping so that you can have logos and text on the containers and parts of the main hull, so that they won't be mirrored.

@emi: Thanks, it was modeled in 3dsMax, then exported to Collada .DAE, which can be imported by PCS2.
I'm currently also experimenting with normal maps, but since on B5 they didn't use normal maps (not even bump maps for the EA ships), we're getting into territory where normal maps would make the model look less than on the original sources ;) So, maybe I'll do some very subtle normal effects, and maybe none at all.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Isn't that the point of HTL though? Genuine query. . Nice model by the way. G'Quan next please.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Warlock. ;7

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Why HTL modells that hardly make any apperance first? :confused:

Looks shiny by the way. And I like the sound of compatible. Many modellers forget that one often.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
My guess is you get 3 for the price of 2.   You can use 2 different ships with practically the same model and textures and the cargo containers can be used separately.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Why HTL modells that hardly make any apperance first? :confused:

Are you referring to the freighter or the wishes from Dekker and Zane?

Because the freighter gets used quite a lot, and as FUBAR noticed, we get 3 and a half models out of this... freighter 1, freighter 2, EA container and a good part of the tanker.

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
Well, I'm gonna release the PSD file of the texture, so everybody can make his own variants. I've set up the UV mapping so that you can have logos and text on the containers and parts of the main hull, so that they won't be mirrored.
Nice! :) Sounds good.

@emi: Thanks, it was modeled in 3dsMax, then exported to Collada .DAE, which can be imported by PCS2.
What version of 3dsMax did you use exactly? and with special/s plugin/s?
And what version of Colladadid you use? again...with special/s plugin/s?

I'm currently also experimenting with normal maps, but since on B5 they didn't use normal maps (not even bump maps for the EA ships), we're getting into territory where normal maps would make the model look less than on the original sources ;) So, maybe I'll do some very subtle normal effects, and maybe none at all.
I think the idea of normal maps is add more details, and better lighting for better looking, as cannon as possible :)
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Initial look over in PCS2 looks pretty good.  Might need a couple of really minor tweeks.  Guessing you imported the info from the old model.  Centers are off a hair between the 2 models so things might need moved slightly (and I mean very slightly).  Only thing that concerns me is the docking point not being attached to the ship since that area isn't filled in on the HTL version.  Won't hurt anything but might not look too good.  

I assume you can whip up a version without the pods in a minute.  That could be useful.  Just add some dock points to the frame and the pods and you can have a ship that is configurable to the number of pods it's carrying.  

Now for ingame tests.

Big issue with some of the file names.  They are too long for FS2.  You have 31 - 4 for the .dds - 7 for the -normal (even if you don't have a normal map FS2 doesn't like it).  

Looks like just the debris texture.  Probably shorten it to just deb instead.

That brings me to the next potential problem.  The half destroyed cargo pods.  You really need to test the RW mssion with the 109's launching to make sure it won't break it. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:39:26 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Initial look over in PCS2 looks pretty good.  Might need a couple of really minor tweeks.  Guessing you imported the info from the old model.  Centers are off a hair between the 2 models so things might need moved slightly (and I mean very slightly).  Only thing that concerns me is the docking point not being attached to the ship since that area isn't filled in on the HTL version.  Won't hurt anything but might not look too good.
Yes, I imported the paths from the old POF. Turret paths were corrected, the other ones I left unchanged since the difference is neglible. The special points for the engines and comms subsytems were also adjusted.

The docking point is IMO the biggest issue at the moment. For now I've left it where the old model had it, but that is hanging in the middle of nowhere there, looking somewhat silly.
I was thinking of moving it either to the underside of the saucer bridge or on the topside of the big main hull cylinder in the front. I'd prefer the latter option since it would allow the freighter to dock with bigger ships without intersecting hulls. But I'd like to hear opinions from FREDders if this could break existing missions?
I assume you can whip up a version without the pods in a minute.  That could be useful.  Just add some dock points to the frame and the pods and you can have a ship that is configurable to the number of pods it's carrying.

Yes, that would be relatively easy, if someone really needs it.

Now for ingame tests.
Big issue with some of the file names.  They are too long for FS2.  You have 31 - 4 for the .dds - 7 for the -normal (even if you don't have a normal map FS2 doesn't like it).  

Looks like just the debris texture.  Probably shorten it to just deb instead.
So that's 20 characters to to be on the save side? In that case I'll shorten the name for the debris texture
That brings me to the next potential problem.  The half destroyed cargo pods.  You really need to test the RW mssion with the 109's launching to make sure it won't break it.  
Already thought of that, tested it, and it works :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:38:00 pm by Col. Fishguts »

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Are you referring to the freighter or the wishes from Dekker and Zane?
Because the freighter gets used quite a lot, and as FUBAR noticed, we get 3 and a half models out of this... freighter 1, freighter 2, EA container and a good part of the tanker.

You already gave the answer yourself  :yes:  Of course to wishes like "Warlock next!"
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Your debris geometry needs work.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Your debris geometry needs work.

As in "it looks crap" or as in "it's buggy" ?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I like how the one container (front left) has a perfectly circular hole blown out of it.

needs to be a lot more jagged/twisted metal, and remember the outer supports are probably stronger than the panelling material so they won't be as damaged as the rest of the container.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I like how the one container (front left) has a perfectly circular hole blown out of it.

Yeah... that was the first of the destroyed containers I made, and thought I might get away with a simple boolean ;)

... remember the outer supports are probably stronger than the paneling material so they won't be as damaged as the rest of the container.

That's actually a very good idea... and now that the idea is stuck in my head i must do it.... bastard!

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Finally got around to redo the destroyed containers... made the cut-outs more irregular, damaged the outer supports separately from the rest, removed the red glowing map.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Looking good.  Planning on any live debris or anything on those containers?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Looking good.  Planning on any live debris or anything on those containers?

No live debris for this one. It looks pretty good with the explosion ani and the generic debris chunks. Also, I need to stop feature creep on this one so I can get back to the HTL Hyperion ;)