Author Topic: New Site General Thread: Help Needed!  (Read 17662 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
New Site General Thread: Help Needed!

This is a discussion thread for these current events, and the site. We hope you like it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:26:42 pm by BlackDove »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: New Site General Thread: Help Needed!
Nice new website. I like how all the stuff that disappeared has resurfaced.

I'll just drop a note here to reiterate what BlackDove has already said really with regards to our hoping you enjoy the website.  The three of us who have created it would like to think that it's an improvement, and that it's something that everyone will enjoy using.  

We've ported over all content from the past two incarnations of the website, as not all available content was provided through the last incarnation.  I noticed a comment in the "Things you want to know about BWO..." thread the other day that commented on the fact that a lot of the older content was no longer available since the move from 3DAP.  That should now be rectified, and we hope you enjoy rediscovering some of that older content that has recently been inaccessible.

I would also like to make a note that, whilst we've performed extensive testing on the website, as with all web development projects the possibility of bugs slipping through the net exists.  If anyone should encounter any bugs when using the site (or even anything they think may be a bug but aren't sure about), please either post here about it or contact me via PM.  I'll get on fixing the issue right away.

Regardless of what you think about it though, we'd be grateful if you'd leave us some feedback in this thread.  Honest feedback goes a long way to helping us out for the future, whether it's the BWO website that needs improving or another website that needs developing.  We'd be extremely grateful for any comments any of you may have.

Enjoy :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's a beautiful website and I love it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's certainly more classy than the old one.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I hadn't seen the full, final version new website yet. It turned out gorgeous! Think I gotta take some pics of the up to date ships to go along with it :D

Finally, please read BD's long post. That is (finally) our call for arms. Even if you can't do those things we need, if you know someone who does, send them our way!

Like I said, you will see the shinier, up to date stuff soon enough!
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Cool website!  :D

Oh also, I can make POFs from completed models with debris/lods.
It's kinda...fun. Though 3d studio max can be a pain in the ass when it crashes on me :<

If you need examples of my work in the particular field, talk to Woolie. :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
From what I understand, working assets and missions have been done for some time now and the campaign is fully playable from start to finish. So, why not just release it? There are plenty of projects that got released without HTL everything--BP:AoA, The Procyon Insurgency, etc.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Really digging the new website. :) I remember reading some of that fiction ages ago, so now I'll have to go back and do it again.

(And I really wish I had any of the needed skills to contribute.  I want to finally get the chance to play this baby.)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Oh also, I can make POFs from completed models with debris/lods.
It's kinda...fun. Though 3d studio max can be a pain in the ass when it crashes on me :<

Please Droid, send me a PM about it, possibly with a couple of examples (or references to them). Main reason I ask for a PM format is so that I have everything accessible in a single place, all neatly organized :)

From what I understand, working assets and missions have been done for some time now and the campaign is fully playable from start to finish. So, why not just release it? There are plenty of projects that got released without HTL everything--BP:AoA, The Procyon Insurgency, etc.

That's just not who we are. We want to make the best first impression as possible. Besides, with all the the time that has gone by, releasing it now like that would be accepting defeat. We are way past the "point of no return" now :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The silly newbies on IRC hate you. They think you're vaporware. Please prove them wrong.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, as one of the not-that-old members, that site is missing one crucial piece of information.

Why should I care about this project?

More to the point, why should I want to join a project where all the fun bits of working on a project (namely, the creative ones), have already been done and locked?
I am sort of missing a sense of excitement here, a feeling of "Yeah, I want to be part of this because it's awesome, and it could be more awesome with my help".

I know you don't want to hear this, but if you had released something where someone such as I can see what this is about, and see where my skills could be of use here (like, say, a demo. Or a video. Or the campaign.), this project might be more appealing.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
That's just not who we are. We want to make the best first impression as possible. Besides, with all the the time that has gone by, releasing it now like that would be accepting defeat. We are way past the "point of no return" now :P

Good on you guys  :yes:

I would offer my help, but... I'm kinda overloaded with stuff to do.

Maybe in a couple of months I'll stop by round here again.

PS: great new site, it looks really REALLY cool.
el hombre vicio...

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

Okay, as one of the not-that-old members, that site is missing one crucial piece of information.

More to the point, why should I want to join a project where all the fun bits of working on a project (namely, the creative ones), have already been done and locked?
I am sort of missing a sense of excitement here, a feeling of "Yeah, I want to be part of this because it's awesome, and it could be more awesome with my help".

I know you don't want to hear this, but if you had released something where someone such as I can see what this is about, and see where my skills could be of use here (like, say, a demo. Or a video. Or the campaign.), this project might be more appealing.
We actually do have a demo and a trailer, and though they're severely out of date, they're a good indicator (creative-wise) of what to expect as we didn't change the core formula very much.

You're right, other than wanting to help out with finishing the oldest campaign in this community, as of yet there isn't much incentive to do so. But I'm doing things one step at a time, and this is the first step. The announcement serves multiple purposes. If you read the text carefully, and take in the fact the project has surpassed Duke Nukem Forever in development time, you'll realize that the project has been in need of help for a very long time, yet we weren't in the position to ask for help even though we needed it. The announcement as it pertains to demographics, is for those that have offered help in the past, and those that may not have known we need it, and would want to help. For those with genuine interest, we have displayed enough in terms of what the campaign is about and conversely, I do not believe we've put any hard cap on creativity. There are still plenty of areas to "make your own" in this project if you've got the skill for it.

Now, if at all possible, I'd like to keep this thread focused on the topic, none of which happen to be opinions regarding the release of half-finished campaigns and passive or active derision of others thinking or choosing otherwise. Not that I want to intimate to people that my lawn isn't a suitable venue for any kind of discussion, or that your opinions don't merit consideration, but I'd just rather keep it out of threads with already assigned topics.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

BWO released a demo. You can get it from this very site and FreeSpaceMods.

EDIT: Oh, BlackDove preceeded me. Well, at least I could provide links.  :)

Also, replying to the rest of your post:

Many community members who contribute to projects don't made any kind of changes to plots and such. They can post suggestions on private forums, but they can't pretend. You don't need to make radical plot changes to "feel" part of the team, even upgrading models and textures is enough. I know this for sure due to its analogies with Inferno's current status.

I realize projects need pimping to attract attention and recruit new members, but IMHO any HLP member who's been here for three years or more knows how important BWO is for this community. It's been a part of HLP for ages, and I respect it a lot even if, according to what your post seems to suggest, I have no reasons to do that.

So, as far as I can say, helping BWO is one of the things free modellers and texturers should aim for. Join the project, get it done and become part of HLP's HistoryTM!   :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
There's one thing we do have to offer, which Blackdove hinted at in his announcement: teaching.
I know it may sound arrogant from us (actually, just me :P ), but I believe I have enough expertise in modeling, texturing, UVmapping and visual design so that my knowledge can be of value to many artists in this community.
I'm more than willing to teach, give tips and tricks, etc. I've been known to try to explain what I mean very carefully, why I think so, and even go as far as do paintovers regularly, show examples etc.

This may be of value to someone or not, depending on their experience level, and their willingness to grow as artists. And again, it may be interpreted as arrogance from my part, and I'm completely fine by that point of view :)

Raven is a god.

Offline DREDHAWK

• If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die. (Kosh,Babylon5
    • Youtube Channel
Site looks good nice to see something going on were!!!!! :D :D :D :D
FROM FS1
When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die. We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.
For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.
Now we know our crime was sin.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

This is a salient point.  The demo would normally help with this, but it's kind of old.

I have an idea.  Why not release the first 5 or 10 missions of BWO proper, as-is?  Call it a second demo if you want.  You can say, "Here is part of the campaign as it currently stands, and with your help, we can finish up making it awesome and then release the whole thing."  That would certainly boost incentive, and bring the campaign to the forefront.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

This is a salient point.  The demo would normally help with this, but it's kind of old.

I have an idea.  Why not release the first 5 or 10 missions of BWO proper, as-is?  Call it a second demo if you want.  You can say, "Here is part of the campaign as it currently stands, and with your help, we can finish up making it awesome and then release the whole thing."  That would certainly boost incentive, and bring the campaign to the forefront.

I don't think that would align well with their stated philosophy. And it certainly didn't help TVWP quite as much as a call to arms did.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
This is BD's territory, but basically what Battuta said I think. I'm thinking of arranging for some new screenshots, with a couple newer models though

Raven is a god.