Author Topic: Orion Style Mainhalls [Original Dev Thread]  (Read 115834 times)

Offline Hellzed

What I have in mind is a view from above the Karuna fighter bay...
It would be an awesome perspective from the inside of a very high detail karuna.
 You could see fighters take off and land, sometimes a short subspace travel, and sometimes earth. Campaign menu could be accessed from a starmap on a transparent glass board, pilot menu from a computer on the right showing a "fleetbook" page (with a cup of tea on the desk), launch from a computer on the right showing a loadout screen, and options by talking with a tech guy (looking at the stars, you see his back, and he turns towards  you when you click on him).

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Beta pack!

*LINK REMOVED*

Drop that VP into your fsport_mediavps and load up ST:R. You'll notice several "campaigns" in the campaign room labeled with what mainhall they bring up. Use those along with the standard FS1 and ST:R campaigns to see each mainhall.

This is the retail compatible pack.. meaning its the ANIs and PCX files. The FSO pack is... a much LARGER filesize... this one is smaller.  :D

NOTES:

1: I know about the lines in the Bastion mainhall. That has to do with how retail handles transparency and I haven't been able to fix it yet. The FSO files do not have this issue.

2: The "B" variation of the Bastion mainhall has this noise that sounds like its stuck. That is because the noise is played when one of the background animations plays. Those animations are incomplete and only 1 frame long which causes the game to restart the noise every 15th of a second. That will be fixed when I finish those animations.

3: Some of the colors seem to not match up between the ANIs and the background. This is caused by the 256 color limitation of retail ANIs. I don't know how :v: did it, but since the FSO version looks hoards better, I'm not worried about it.

Lastly.

Thanks to Cobra for his texturing and tabling efforts!  :yes:
Thanks also to Galemp for working over many of the fighters you see and giving me valuable feedback. ( :nervous: Galemp.. I'm still waiting on some of those fighters..   :p)

SCREENSHOTS!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:45:39 am by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Re: Galatea Mainhall [BETA PACK RELEASE]
Who-hoah, I will print those out and put them under the christmas tree. But until then I'll just drop them into the right folder :P

Thank you very much mjn.mixael and your little helpers! You are so awesome :yes:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Tables ain't done yet. Still gotta fix the right-click coords and a few other things. After that these babies will just be waiting on properly clothed men.

Also I just want to say that I'm a little irritated that some of you went straight to going on about how the Hermes isn't hi-poly instead of looking at the details that are the focus of the camera angle.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Tables ain't done yet. Still gotta fix the right-click coords and a few other things. After that these babies will just be waiting on properly clothed men.

Also I just want to say that I'm a little irritated that some of you went straight to going on about how the Hermes isn't hi-poly instead of looking at the details that are the focus of the camera angle.
They won't be whining about it much longer. ;)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kolgena

Hermes? Where? I am, however, glad that you fixed the missing texture on the Ulysses as far as I can see.

That aside, holy-****-are-those-primaries-in-those-crates??? It also looks like there just might be enough "stuff" so that a proper 16:9 render could be done :O (but maybe I'm just imagining things)

Offline Hades

[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kolgena

When I saw it, I shat bricks.

Way too distracted by all the pretties :P

As a general thing though, it seems that normal maps aren't strong enough for the MVP assets. The elysium and zeus look very flat indeed.

Offline Hades

Actually I don't think he's using the normal mapping for the fighters at all.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:42:38 pm by Had-- »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
It is interesting seeing some of the interpretations of the canopy actuations on the fighters and bombers in the mainhalls, and many of which are not what I would have designed. Regardless, it will be wonderful to see these working in-game. Great work, Mjn.

:D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Actually I don't think he's using the UVMaps for the fighters at all.

Actually I'm using the fighters straight converted from the POFs AND using the mediaVP textures. The normals maps are at value 100 (default is 30 in Max 2009). If they aren't up to par, that would be the fault of the fighter's model and textures... both of which I'm not remaking for these.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Kolgena

I dunno. Maybe turn the value even higher than 100? The models just don't look nearly as bumpy as they do in FSO.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Those are Zeus' in the Krios right? Dunno why but I had to do a double take.

Disbelief of awesome has been overcome.

I FRICKIN salute you guys. You can use these sets to render command brief .anis too I? hope someone finds a use for the concept. :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Ulysses in the Krios, Zeus and Loki in the Soyakaze.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Please don't take this as a silly nit pick but I just noticed something. I've been trying to work out the scale of certain things and using the Hallfight cutscene I found the scale of the Elysium to be about:

Which would make this Elysium pretty huge:

Just an observation if you end up using that model in the final.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Solatar

rscaper, that scale looks a bit off.  The Elysium and the Athena in that mainhall are consistent in scale with one another, and your human is huge on the Athena. 

I don't think it is. Even though the marines are floating around you can tell how big the hatch of the Elysium is.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
That is not the correct scale for the Elysium. The Elysium is much larger. Look at it in FRED and compare to the grid size.

Offline Hades

It's more likely a case of the Elysium being out of scale than anything.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Well I guess the cutscene is in error then. According to Fred the Elysium is about 35 meters long which would indeed make the mainhall correct. I'm glad I posted here because the scale of my little project would have been way off.