Author Topic: wesp5's concerns  (Read 6147 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I'll take a look at that right now.

OK here's what that would look like: 

Here's the modified pof to see it for yourself.  warp.pof
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:53:30 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline starlord

As to EM campaigns, there is miburo's tales of janus 1 and 2... although they are certainly not compatible with today's builds (not to mention 2 is only a script...)

Offline wesp5

There's this...

...and then there's this...

Okay, so the first version is probably too short. How does it look from the front though? Can you upload it somewhere or is this the 2D version you mentioned earlier? Where do I place the new pof file or is this obvious (I'm not at my game PC right now)? Also it seems the current version has two angle changes during the cone and not only one as I thought. How would it look if only the last bit was missing, like with the flash at the end but a little bit more stretched out? Kind of an intermediate of both versions above! Another solution would be having the flash only on opening, closing or when a ship moves but this is probably impossible. BTW, amazing how fast you guys are looking into this :)! You rock!!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:18:11 am by wesp5 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'll take a look at that right now.
OK here's what that would look like: 

Here's the modified pof to see it for yourself.  warp.pof
There appears to still be some transparency in effect, but it goes a long way to solving that problem with the existing effect.  You just textured the backside of the same model faces, right?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
No the engine doesn't support textures on both sides of an object.  I cloned the existing object, increased the size by .1%, flipped the normals, attached it to the original, and welded the 2 ends. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

Can you try to model an intermediate solution like I suggested? Also where do I need to place these new pof files?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Put it in the data/models directory... or make them if they don't exist yet.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
No put it in yourmod\data\models.  Never put anything in the tbp or Zathras data directory.  Always use your own mod directory.   

Offline wesp5

I have no mod directory right now but using the main directory data folder worked. It looks a little bit better but it would be really cool if someone could try an intediate version of the short 2D and the long 3D jump point effect!

Offline Slasher

FUBAR, are you using Blender?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
To my knowledge, there is no way at present to create a blended effect, where it appears to be the elongated cone when viewed from the front, but looks flat when viewed from the side or rear.

Offline wesp5

To my knowledge, there is no way at present to create a blended effect, where it appears to be the elongated cone when viewed from the front, but looks flat when viewed from the side or rear.

I think the "2D version" looks like that already, but I like the 3D version better, except it's too long. I think a jump point only as long as a jump gate with the flash at the end would be perfect...