Author Topic: Chapter 1 Discussion  (Read 5716 times)

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
Chapter 1: Colonial Unrest

Colonial Unrest takes place in the late 25th century and depicts the struggle between the UNSC and the myriad rebel factions within the colonies of Earth. As mankind shot itself into space it invariably brought the struggle for power with it. Several colonies of Earth rebelled over the years. Some were small, only enveloping a single colony into turmoil. Others were much larger, taking years to quell and claiming millions of lives. This is the story of how the UNSC crushed those rebellions, culminating in the final mission of Operation: TREBUCHET that put down the Insurrection in 2513.

Instead of covering a single event, Chapter 1 is meant to highlight key engagements during the period of unrest in the colonies from 2492 to 2513. Major events to be covered include:
  • The rebellion and subsequent nuking of the Far Isles colony
  • First and Second rebellions in the Eridanus system
  • The pirate-like actions of the Secessionist Union
  • The Insurrection and Operation: TREBUCHET

During this Chapter the player will be flying various older fightercraft. Though most missions will include the Longsword, it will be a variant of the final product we'll see later; a predecessor, if you will. Many older capital ship designs will be used as well. The logic follows that the various rebels had a much easier time getting a hold of older craft that were either mothballed or sold into civilian use as they aged. This will be evident as the player progresses further, noting the very lopsidedness of battles between the mighty UNSC and the rebel factions. However, what the rebels lack in equipment they make up for in tenacity. The UNSC would never use civilians as shields or deploy nuclear weapons in a suicidal manner, but a rebel with nothing to lose is a whole different story. A few ONI missions will help break the monotony of the constant rebel pwnage, and a few missions here and there will have the player accomplishing their goals in unorthodox ways. Players will be faced with moral dilemmas and select missions will have multiple ways to complete.

The idea is to set the stage for the war with the Covenant. Hopefully the player will grow a little attached to the UNSC and their fellow man, making the fact that most of the people they know in the game will eventually be burned to a cinder by plasma that much more biting. Additionally, the player will experience supremacy and say to themselves, "Man, I'm a good pilot! I can't wait to do this to the Covenant!" This is intentional; I'll be squealing with joy as they are crushed and demoralized later as the tables turn and they find themselves on the receiving end of the superior side  :drevil:

Feel free to leave your thoughts, opinions or comments.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:54:27 pm by Devrous »

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Re: Chapter 1 Discussion
Will this be from a single perspective? It'd definitely be interesting to see the other side of the equation, or will you be planning undercover missions like in FS2. Anyway, I'll be looking forward to this, and if I ever learn to model, I'll see if I can't help out.

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
A majority of the time you will play from the UNSC's perspective. Since it is human vs human, and even the Spartans had a chance to infiltrate, the plan is to incorporate a few covert ops missions so you can see how the innies operate. I don't want to totally rip off FS2 and make carbon-copy missions, so they will flow differently. Chapter 1 will have several story arcs centered around different conflicts and/or people. My original story board incorporated 40 missions but I felt that was way too ambitious. The trick is to fit in as much as I can while making it manageable.

Offline starlord

any idea regarding the player's actions on that global story? where does he start? where will he fight?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
[ Additionally, the player will experience supremacy and say to themselves, "Man, I'm a good pilot! I can't wait to do this to the Covenant!" This is intentional; I'll be squealing with joy as they are crushed and demoralized later as the tables turn and they find themselves on the receiving end of the superior side  :drevil:

[Yoda]I sense the Dark Side in you![/Yoda]

Offline starlord

What about a new teaser? It would attract possible helpers...

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
I've been piecing together a lot of in-game footage for several trailer ideas and some gameplay movies, though a lot of what I've shown in the past is still accurate. Soon as I'm done with one I'll find some file hosting space and post it  :yes:

The original trailer: http://www.sectorgame.com/halo/FS2H/fs2hteaser.avi