Author Topic: Unable to launch game  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Lyk

Ok...HOW THE HELL i starting it?

I've downloading it, installing it and make a profile...but the "play" button don't work and in the basic Settings i can't do anything, the launcher say i neet so select the diaspora folder...but no exe seems to exist....and well...

Diaspora is Stand-Alone right?
I dont need FS2 or FSO...or wrong...

sry for my english

Offline Maylee

Ok...HOW THE HELL i starting it?

I've downloading it, installing it and make a profile...but the "play" button don't work and in the basic Settings i can't do anything, the launcher say i neet so select the diaspora folder...but no exe seems to exist....and well...

Diaspora is Stand-Alone right?
I dont need FS2 or FSO...or wrong...

sry for my english

I have the same problem on linux. I followed all the instructions in the readme but the Play button is greyed out and the statusbar says "Executable fs2_open_diaspora does not exist".

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Yes, Diaspora is standalone. You don't need a copy of FS2.

Lyk: are you using Windows, OS X, or Linux? In all cases, which OS version are you using?

Maylee: Did you move the Diaspora folder to your home directory? If not, where did you move it instead?
In the launcher's Basic Settings tab, does the box labeled "Game root folder:" match the location of where you put the Diaspora folder?

Offline Lyk

I have WinXP

EDIT: oooh and...my Kaspersky warned me about a worm in Diaspora... "disinfected" it...probaly THIS is the cause why it didn't work?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:27:15 pm by Lyk »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well there's no worms in Diaspora so yeah that probably did something stupid like deleting the exes.

You can trust us that the code is safe or we can even give you the patches and let you build the exes yourself. :p

In the meanwhile, download this and stick it in your Diaspora folder. You'll then have to set up the launcher.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you check your KAS Quarantine, you may have the deleted file there.   Probably easier to just download kara's file though.  Note, as soon as you do, KAV will prolly try to delete it again.  :ick:

Tell KAS/KAV to not scan the Diaspora folder and not scan the Diaspora install .exe .. heck, maybe just tell it not to scan the Diaspora game folder, then disable it, then install Diaspora, then enable KAV.  This would normally be where I'd insert a shameless plug for the free Microsoft Security Essentials, however MSE chokes on Diaspora too, so... :nono:

Hello. I also have a problem with launching the game, but I guess it's not a problem big enough to make a new topic. Looks like it is caused by my version of Freespace 2 (I have Polish language version) and the strings.tbl file is not compatible with Diaspora. Is it possible to solve the problem without re-installing Freespace 2 (English). Actually I don't have much time for this. I tried to set the game to work without Freespace, but i still don't know how to do that :(

Code: [Select]
(line 1):
Warning: Could not find specified langauge in tstrings.tbl!

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_Diaspora_R1_Debug.exe! <no symbol>
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
What the

You don't need Freespace 2 to play Diaspora. AND you shouldn't even attempt to run diaspora as a FS mod. That's not how it was designed to run.

Run Diaspora away from your FS2 folder.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think maybe he means that because he previously installed the Polish version of Freespace, Diaspora also thinks it should be running in Polish (the two share Registry entries after all).

If you have installed Diaspora properly and not as a Freespace 2 mod, all you need to do is stick the attached file in your tables folder and it should work. If it does work, please report back and tell us so that we can include the proper fix in the patch.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Gah. Registry. I always forget about that. I couldn't find any other explanation as to why his FS2 install would affect Diaspora, other than him trying to run Diaspora as a mod.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Maylee

Maylee: Did you move the Diaspora folder to your home directory? If not, where did you move it instead?
In the launcher's Basic Settings tab, does the box labeled "Game root folder:" match the location of where you put the Diaspora folder?

Yes - /home/(user name)/Diaspora - and yes that's where the game root folder is set to as well. I've uploaded a screenshot of the folder's contents, so if there's a file missing then perhaps you can suggest which program I didn't run properly? :)

Offline Lyk

Installed it again,  this time nothing was being "desinfected"...lovely (sadly short) campaign....must watch the TV series again :)
I hope i don't need to wait 4 more years for next part (it is a 3 Part- campaign i'm right?)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
More than 3 parts. We've said that the plans are to centre each release around a battlestar, and since we used the non-canon Sobek class for R1, all 3 canon battlestars are still left to do. :)

Offline Lyk

ah ok, thats nice so the Galactica and Pegasus would propably in one part?

Spoiler:
(because of the end of part one Galactica would be the right one)

anyway, great work!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
ah ok, thats nice so the Galactica and Pegasus would propably in one part?

Probably not. Remember that Pegasus was completely alone fighting the cylons from immediately after Razor until episode 2x10. There's plenty of scope for an entire campaign not including Galactica.

In fact, that's one of the campaigns with the fewest restrictions. It's almost completely offscreen. We'd have almost a free hand about what we want to do.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Yes - /home/(user name)/Diaspora - and yes that's where the game root folder is set to as well. I've uploaded a screenshot of the folder's contents, so if there's a file missing then perhaps you can suggest which program I didn't run properly? :)
Sorry, but I don't see this screenshot. Did you attach it using the "Attachments and other options" that appears just below where you write your post?

Alternatively, could you post the output from the tree command? You may need to get tree from your distro's package repositories. You can use it like this, starting from your Diaspora folder:

cd ..
tree Diaspora > Diaspora.tree.txt

Then open Diaspora.tree.txt in a text editor and copy and paste the contents of the file into a new post in this thread. Please use "code" tags by clicking on the button that has a # symbol, which appears among the buttons above where you write a post.

The result should look like this.

Thanks.

I put the edited strings.tbl, but i still have the same error. It may be a stupid question, but how can I set Diaspora, to "cut it off" from freespace ?

Offline Goast

Having a similar problem, game root folder is correct, I can even find the .exe but I can't run it from launcher, I can run the exe though.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Could you provide more details? What happens when you press the Play button? Does any text appear in the terminal where you're running the launcher? Could you paste the contents of a wxlauncher log into a post? The log can be found at ~/.wxlauncher/wxLauncher.log. Please use "code" tags when you post the log

with the result looking like this.