Author Topic: CNP hack, FREDing and a few plans & questions  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Hlicat

CNP hack, FREDing and a few plans & questions
After messing about in the editor, doing a few simple skirmish type things to get used to the easy and basic stuff. I started to wonder about, if I were to get into this more. Is there actually a way you might be able to simulate the CNP hack?

I read somewhere the mention of a Valkyrie, I do hope at some point we get other battlestars such has the Valkyrie, as I'd love to do missions revolving around the fall of the planets. The story of Battlestars and pilots which regrouped only to fall to the CNP. Though, I am not quite sure how I might do it just yet

But that's what I would plan to do with the editor, whether it'd reach a point where I'd actually release it or not, I'm not sure. I've also never really done anything with it before (Or played Freespace 2 for that matter!), but I'll be testing and playing around with it until I can produce missions I'd be happy with. And certainly look forward to the continuation to the main campaign too.

So it may become just a little personal mission, or perhaps even become something I'll release. Which I'll try aim for. But first, lots of practicing to do!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: CNP hack, FREDing and a few plans & questions
After messing about in the editor, doing a few simple skirmish type things to get used to the easy and basic stuff. I started to wonder about, if I were to get into this more. Is there actually a way you might be able to simulate the CNP hack?

Wouldn't be hard. All you need to do is tell the AI to play dead and you'll pretty much get the effect you're after.

I read somewhere the mention of a Valkyrie, I do hope at some point we get other battlestars such has the Valkyrie, as I'd love to do missions revolving around the fall of the planets. The story of Battlestars and pilots which regrouped only to fall to the CNP. Though, I am not quite sure how I might do it just yet

The plan is to centre each release around one one of the battlestars. R1 was the Sobek class (i.e the Theseus). R2 will definitely be centred around one and we'll be making the official announcement about which one soon (although it's kind of an open secret anyway).

But that's what I would plan to do with the editor, whether it'd reach a point where I'd actually release it or not, I'm not sure. I've also never really done anything with it before (Or played Freespace 2 for that matter!), but I'll be testing and playing around with it until I can produce missions I'd be happy with. And certainly look forward to the continuation to the main campaign too.

So it may become just a little personal mission, or perhaps even become something I'll release. Which I'll try aim for. But first, lots of practicing to do!

Well if you have any questions, just ask.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hlicat

That's some pretty helpful information. And I'm glad to hear we'll be getting some other point of views with other Battlestars. I already cannot wait.

I guess I'll be posting any other questions when I come across any other problems, or need help with anything. Right now, it's just playing about and getting used to the basic features of the editor. Something I always enjoy doing. Nothing more awesome than making your own stories and battles.

Thanks for the help so far!

Offline Aether

The EMP trigger effect in that mission with the Gemenon Heart would also give a nice first-person CNP hack effect. Although it's be hard to write in how you managed to survive a CNP hack.
So say we all!

You could have first-person narration describing how the player-character manages to switch to manual. Or have the character eject and be rescued.

Offline Hlicat

Some good ideas to help out. It'll be good to see what the Diaspora guys are gonna do as well.

A few ideas I had was perhaps a training exercise with ships not yet upgraded with the CNP. Like in the tutorial, perhaps doing additional testing with ships that do have it.

Or perhaps have the Valkyrie need to bolster it's viper wings with that of the older models after a swift escape from it's dock.

Quite a few ways it could be done.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The EMP trigger effect in that mission with the Gemenon Heart would also give a nice first-person CNP hack effect. Although it's be hard to write in how you managed to survive a CNP hack.

IIRC in the show everything just shuts off.

...can you kill the cockpit displays somehow?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dukayn

There's a SEXP in FRED to disable the HUD.  That should simulate it pretty well.  Maybe set craft to Immobile as well or however you disable flight commands.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
SEXP to disable HUD
SEXP to set player craft control to AI
SEXP to said said AI to play-dead

I believe my brother (m) was working on something similar in a totally unrelated campaign that he never finished past the first few missions, and that was how he simulated the player's ship being damaged to the point of being disabled... (well, he actually also used the EMP SEXP to simulate malfunctioning, as well as scripting your wingmen being KO'd; you were just lucky/unlucky enough to have your engines knocked out IIRC) actually, it was rather neat.  He had the enemy side use a rearming shuttle to dock with and capture the player's disabled craft, and then fade to red, then black to simulate a pilot blackout.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
SEXP to disable HUD
SEXP to set player craft control to AI
SEXP to said said AI to play-dead

I believe my brother (m) was working on something similar in a totally unrelated campaign that he never finished past the first few missions, and that was how he simulated the player's ship being damaged to the point of being disabled... (well, he actually also used the EMP SEXP to simulate malfunctioning, as well as scripting your wingmen being KO'd; you were just lucky/unlucky enough to have your engines knocked out IIRC) actually, it was rather neat.  He had the enemy side use a rearming shuttle to dock with and capture the player's disabled craft, and then fade to red, then black to simulate a pilot blackout.

This won't quite do the job, but if you open the BP2 mission that does exactly what's described here you can see the complete SEXP setup, including the redout. Unfortunately this won't take care of the cockpit displays in the Viper. You might have to mod up a new cockpit and do a switch