Author Topic: Question on mission creation...  (Read 2801 times)

Question on mission creation...
I've been working on modifying the tutorial mission in the FRED walk through over the last couple of days.  I've implemented the full tube launch from mission one, multiple active voice comm messages that seemed to fit the circumstances (modified to omit Theseus name calls) ect.  Things are going pretty well.  I'm not just doing some balancing issues and such.

My question....how do I get the flight status display on the hud?  IIRC it was an option in the HUD settings which are no longer a part of the UI.  Since different missions show the RED/BLUE ect wing status on the hud and this one does not, it must be more than a table entry.  I've not seen the code that controls that yet.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  I'd like to know when I'm the "last man standing".

Thanks!

Oh and on a side note, once this is completed is is cool to release it?  It's dirived as I stated from content in that tutorial mission and some content from mission one of the campaign.

It's my intention to make a Raptor version of the same mission with a bay launch once I've got the Viper version balanced.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Question on mission creation...
The names of the wings displayed in the HUD is defined somewhere in Mission Specs in FRED.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Ok, I'll try to find it.  I looked there last night doing a side by side comparison between this mission and mission one, which shows Red status, and didn't see it.  I'll have another look tonight.  If anyone has more information though, feel free to contribute!  :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Feel free to release it if you've improved on the original version I wrote. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Ok cool thanks.  I just didn't reinvent the wheel is all, I made a copy of it.  The codes changes were all inspired by or copied from the other missions.  Maybe not the simplest way to learn FRED but jumping into the deep end leaves you only two options.  I hope I'll be swimming :)

It's my intention to make a Raptor version of the same mission with a bay launch once I've got the Viper version balanced.

yo, you could, if you want, make both versions in one with is-ship-class checks for what the player (and any other) ship is and cue that to their placement and launch types.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Interesting.  It makes sense that would be possible.  So it would litterally change the XYZ for the player ship and use an entire different set of code.   Ifshipclass = Raptor True (code follows)  I'll investigate that.  I thought it would be a nice twist to play the mission launching in an assault Raptor.  I wanted it to launch from the flight pod just like the Raptor in mission three.  I'll check into that.

Thanks!

Well, I see the section for Wingman Status in the hud_gauges.tbl for the various ships.  I don't however see what turns it on in a given mission for a given wing.  I've looked through the Mission Specs editor and its not evident to me what it is.

Any help?

Thanks!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The name of the wing needs to match what you've got listed as wing names in Mission Specs.

Got it!  Thank you.  All in knowing where to click :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think I need to make that section clearer in the FREDdocs cause you're the second person I've seen confused on this one.

I figured it out pretty quick once I clicked on that wings button there.  I just compared the settings to another mission and it was clear what needed to be done.  I just missed that button several times heh.

One thing I'm trying to work out, and granted I've only spent about an hour or so working on it before I had to get some shut eye, was how to not allow an object to be true unless all remaining fighters from multiple waves have been destroyed, even if their command ship jumped/was destroyed.  It seems that the last goal to destroy all raiders in the wings cannot be true if basestar 3 jumps away before they are deployed.  I get that.  However the isdepartedordestroyed setting didn't seem to apply to waves that had not been deployed yet.

I'm sure I'll figure something out, but if anyone already invented this particular wheel and would like to throw me a bone, I wouldn't object ;)

Thanks.

Things are going well with this.  I've learned a lot and have overcome all the issues that have come us so far.  I'm trying to make it a really fun mission.

This may be more of a question for the HUD guru but I noticed how when the ammo count is low the numbers turn red to get your attention.  Is it possible to do the same thing with the Afterburrner energy level?

I didn't see anything that controlled the color of the HUD components.  Just the HUD in general.

During the balancing I've run into an issue I can't figure out.  Whenever there is a collision or a missile hit against the player's ship (Red1), or a flack hit the ship is instantly destroyed.

Red1 is using Special Hit points of 2900.  Damage from missiles and everything else should be default.  I've checked the tables, the missions, the ships initial status is 100%.  At something of a loss as to why the player's viper is made of paper.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Odd. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that could cause that. I could take a look at the mission if you want.