Author Topic: Support ship voice issues  (Read 2100 times)

Offline wesp5

Support ship voice issues
Update:

I tested Zathras 2.2 with 3.6.15_INF on my other system with some more campaigns and didn't get any new error messages on start! But while testing and improving MAGs Star Fury Pilot missions I noticed, that the voice over for Support launch and departure are missing. Is this a TBP, a Zathras or a Star Fury Pilot missions problems? And if so, how can we fix it?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Support ship voice issues
I really doubt it would be a Zathras issue as the only voice files there are for multiplayer. 

What you will need to do is check the mission file for the file names and then look for them in the SFP vp, and core VP.  It's possible they were left out or don't even exist.  If that is the case then there isn't much we can do.  You would need to contact MAG at that point or hunt down the voice actors. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

What you will need to do is check the mission file for the file names and then look for them in the SFP vp, and core VP.

I already did that, there are no specific voice files in the missions. It seems to be the generic support shuttle of TBP...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Do they work in 3.4b if you make a generic test mission?  If not file that in mantis. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Slasher

A quick analysis of the messages.tbl from TBP 3.4 Core shows references to certain wave files for the support ship.  These files are absent from the voice/personas directory of the .vp file.  So unless specific mission/campaign authors include them, they'll be missing in any iteration of TBP since the base game doesn't include them for some reason.  I'm guessing they were overlooked since support ships are kind of an anomaly in the Babylon 5 universe.

It's not something that's hard to fix.  We've just got to make sure they're not forgotten next time. 

Offline wesp5

It's not something that's hard to fix.  We've just got to make sure they're not forgotten next time.

So these could be included with Zathras 2.2 assuming someone is talented enough to do the voice overs, yes? The text to be spoken must be somewhere or I could post it here.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Splitting this out since it's a separate issue.

Well while it's possible that it's as easy as getting someone to record the voices I have a feeling there might be a big can of worms here.  More investigation will be required but I'm worried about how the game will handle voices for all the different species.  Be kind of strange playing as a shadow fighter and having a support ship show up with human voice. 

So basically my original request stands.  File it in mantis as a 3.4b issue.  If you want to work on it that's fine but please enter it there so it can be tracked.  Stuff like this tends to get buried on the forums and after all that is what mantis is for. 

As for your question on where to find the lines my guess would be strings.tbl or tsrings.tbl (can never remember which one is which).  I don't see this making Zathras 2.2.  Heck I don't even know if there will be a release version of 2.2.  I've already fixed a number of other issues so a 2.3 might be ready for testing in the near future. 

Scratch that while some entries are in those tables they appear to be just the retail fs2 tables.  Guess that's another issue to tackle some day. 

Anyway on fruther research messages.tbl appears to contain what we need but as I figured it will need a lot of work in more ways then one.  Right now it only has Ea ships so that is going to need a complete over hull as well.  Like I figured one big can of worms.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:15:06 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline Slasher

Support ships showing up at all in the B5 universe can be kind of odd, especially since ships that size generally can't open their own jump points and inflight rearmament was never depicted in the series.   

I'm not sure how many species are in TBP right now, but I'm guessing we would need sound files for every one of them.  That's 3 x Y = # of lines needed, where Y is the number of species.  The Shadows could use that weird electronic chittering noise they've been known to make.  In the end, if we don't want to reuse lines for different species, we would need to record for more than the default 3 messages.  Kind of depends on how thorough you want to be. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well if we wanted to do it and do it right we would need not only support sets for all species but the rest of the sets for everything except the EA ships.  Not a small project.  I imagine we could break it down and do it over time.  Start by just doing the EA support so there is a complete EA set then add other species 1 by 1.

Anyway not something I have the time for anytime soon.  If someone else wants to work on it it's fine by me.  Just run any needed table changes by me. 

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well while it's possible that it's as easy as getting someone to record the voices I have a feeling there might be a big can of worms here.  More investigation will be required but I'm worried about how the game will handle voices for all the different species.  Be kind of strange playing as a shadow fighter and having a support ship show up with human voice.  hen one.  Right now it only has Ea ships so that is going to need a complete over hull as well.  Like I figured one big can of worms.

I can tell you for certain that would definitely happen. The game does check what species the message is from first and will supply the correct one if it is found. So if you have a shadow message, you'll get that one. But if you don't, you'll simply get a random one from any species.

To be fair, that's what you're getting now, just without the voice acting to give it away.

Fixing that behaviour wouldn't be difficult though. It wouldn't be hard to give you the option to ignore messages for the wrong species. An AI profiles/mod.tbl setting would handle it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wesp5

File it in mantis as a 3.4b issue.

Could you please do that for me? I don't even know right now what this Mantis is ;).

I've already fixed a number of other issues so a 2.3 might be ready for testing in the near future.

Cool :)!

Right now it only has Ea ships so that is going to need a complete over hull as well.

I think doing an EA version for now should be enough! It seems only MAG uses them and only for support shuttles coming from B5 itself. For example I wouldn't know what support ships Shadows should send, so even for future Zathras versions I think it would only make sense for races with a fitting kind of support ship. Only Minbari, Narn and Centauri are likely candidates and in those cases the same voices as with the EA could be used anyway :).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:41:19 am by wesp5 »