Hosted Projects - Standalone > Public Development

Things that make you wonder what were they thinking

(1/9) > >>

FUBAR-BDHR:
I find stuff that makes me wonder what the heck were they thinking when I'm going through and checking on issues.  Ran into an interesting one today for instance while checking on fighter bay paths.  The EA Skylark has a hanger at the front of the ship.  Not a bad thing in itself until you try to launch anything from it.  There is no ship small enough to actually fit in the hanger.  The only thing that comes close is a life pod and it could only dock to the front of the ship not actually enter the hanger.  So why put a hanger on a ship if it can't launch anything?

Slasher:
The weapon-less, subsystem-less B4 comes to mind.

Curiously tipped EA Lifepod.

EA Phalanx engaging targets outside its effective range.

The Maintenance Bot having a primary weapon but no weapons subsystem.

FUBAR-BDHR:

--- Quote from: Slasher on February 03, 2013, 11:26:40 pm ---The weapon-less, subsystem-less B4 comes to mind.
--- End quote ---

Yea I think this one never made it out of placeholder status.  It's not the only ship without subsystems. Most of the first ones ships didn't have any.

--- Quote ---Curiously tipped EA Lifepod.

--- End quote ---

Have to check this one.

--- Quote ---EA Phalanx engaging targets outside its effective range.

--- End quote ---

Well "out of range" is relative in FS2.  Range is primarily determined by the radius of the ship so if your target is long and you are firing from the side it's in range even if no piece can be actually hit.  Just an engine limitation. 

--- Quote ---The Maintenance Bot having a primary weapon but no weapons subsystem.

--- End quote ---

I've noticed this on at least 4 of the last 5 ships I've worked on.  They have been fixed.  I'll fix this one right now. 

Anyway this really wasn't meant as a TBP project specific topic more of a general B5 show itself topic.  The ship clearly has opening doors on the front for a hanger but no real use for it. 

niffiwan:
Hmm.. I don't recall when the Skylark was 1st seen in the show.  Was it in the FI days (season 1-3?), or ND (season 4-5?)?

edit: this site seems to indicate the design was pretty early on, pilot/season 1.  From the pics here it kinda looks like a docking clamp rather than a hanger, but I don't know how "official" these pics are...

karajorma:
The maintbot was given a weapon to stop a particularly nasty AI bug caused by the bot trying to strafe but not having any weapons to use for the calculation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version