Author Topic: Shoutout to the Vasudan voice actor in Silent Threat: Reborn  (Read 1888 times)

Shoutout to the Vasudan voice actor in Silent Threat: Reborn
I felt indifferent towards the voice acting in Silent Threat: Reborn. However, one thing that really stood out to me was the Vasudan translator voice. The deep, monotone voice speaking the Vasudan dialogue slowly (compared to the Terran pilots/command) and clearly really added towards the mysterious atmosphere in Silent Threat. Combined with the remixed music from Freespace 1 (which has a much better soundtrack than FS2 IMO) and the crazy new missions the modding team did made for a really kickass Freespace experience, especially since this was my first time playing through ST:R. Now that I'm starting up Freespace 2 and listening to the scratchy, modulated, high-pitched  Vasudan voice, it really makes me miss the ST:R voice. The Freespace 2 voice feels like a complete opposite and so different.... and not in a good way. I wish I could replace it with the ST:R voice.

This is just an appreciation post towards the guys/gals who worked on ST:R and whoever the Vasudan voice actor is. Good stuff, ya'll.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Re: Shoutout to the Vasudan voice actor in Silent Threat: Reborn
By FS2 Vasudans don't really count as a mystery anymore, perhaps closer to your friendly neighbourhood spiderman. And keeping the translator monotone for the next 32 years sounds a little lazy and unoriginal, don't you think?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Shoutout to the Vasudan voice actor in Silent Threat: Reborn
Glad you liked it. :)  The Vasudan translator voice actor is Dave DeAndrea, and I was really pleased when he agreed to do the voice for us.  He definitely captured the essence of the translator more than any other voice actor we found.

(I'm kind of surprised you're "indifferent" towards the voice acting, though, because Dave isn't the ONLY awesome voice actor who helped us out.  Maybe the preponderance of great voices made you take it for granted? ;))
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:17:19 pm by Goober5000 »