Hosted Projects - Standalone > WoD Forum Game

Forum game II: Forum game harder (Vague rule idea outline discussion thread)

<< < (3/26) > >>

Spoon:

--- Quote from: AndrewofDoom on May 11, 2014, 04:44:04 pm ---Question. Regarding moves in the Tactical section, will there be a defend action?
--- End quote ---
I've been messing around with it but I haven't found a 'sweet spot' for a functional defend action yet.

--- Quote from: AndrewofDoom on May 11, 2014, 04:44:04 pm --- Will on the tactical section, will there be the ability to move not just around planets and asteroids, but also in deep space as well? Like for example on the fringes of the a system. It would be a good idea because otherwise we get the same problem as in the first game where there's too many bottlenecks and it becomes a game of brute force (There was literally only one turn in the first one where there was a flanking maneuver done by both UGCR fleets).
--- End quote ---
Starlances will always be natural bottlenecks, but I'll do my best to have each system be as nifty as possible. Either way bottlenecks should not be as big of a problem considering you can do an insystem jump to get from point A to Z for the cost of one supply.
I'm aware of the defender's advantage though. Especially since the core worlds of each faction also get garrison fleets/starbases protecting their stuff.

--- Quote from: AndrewofDoom on May 11, 2014, 04:44:04 pm ---
--- Quote from: Lorric on May 11, 2014, 04:30:55 pm ---Won't the smaller factions be at a huge disadvantage?

--- End quote ---

If you're referring to the UGC, Spoon's got that covered. Speaking of which, I'll probably reprise my role as admiral of the 1st UGCR, especially if niffiwan takes 2nd UGCR.

--- End quote ---
The UGC has a really favorable position on the map and a a lot of dough. And the bling bling is seriously important.

As a general starting situation this is what most factions are at:

CRF:
Money: Low
Resources: High
Tech: Lowest
PI: Strong
Fleets: 4
Relations: SF Neutral, UGC Cold, DD Neutral, Cyrvans Neutral, Hydra Neutral, Silva Warm

SF:
Money: Medium
Resources: High
Tech: Low
PI: Strong
Fleets: 4
Relations: CRF Neutral, UGC Warm, DD Cold, Cyrvans Neutral, Hydra Neutral, Silva Warm

UGC:
Money: Highest
Resources: Medium
Tech: Medium
PI: Average
Relations: SF Warm, CRF Cold, DD Cold, Cyrvans Neutral, Hydra Warm, Silva Warm

DD:
Money: Medium
Resources: Medium
Tech: Highest
PI: Poor
Relations: SF Cold, UGC Cold, CRF Neutral, Cyrvans Neutral, Hydra Neutral, Silva Neutral

Hydra Foundation: Neutral faction, Resources
Silva Coorperation: Neutral faction, Tech
Cyrvans: Kinda hard to deal with, but maybe super strong allies?

Spoon:

--- Quote from: 0rph3u5 on May 11, 2014, 04:40:40 pm ---
--- Quote from: Lorric on May 11, 2014, 04:30:55 pm ---How are you going to make us all act individually? We can talk to each other.

--- End quote ---

Interest to make the game fun for one; Interest to have your faction turn out to be on top once things settle down
--- End quote ---
I'm assuming everyone will want their faction to come out on top in the end (there will be a reward of some kind for the players of the winning faction)

--- Quote from: 0rph3u5 on May 11, 2014, 04:40:40 pm ---
--- Quote from: Lorric on May 11, 2014, 04:30:55 pm ---Next, what's to stop us all just building ourselves up for the invasion? There's no sense in softening ourselves up for the now-on-hard-mode-Hierarchy invasion to sweep in and clean up what's left. Ideally, the warfare would leave each faction stronger than weaker when the Hierarchy arrives, with the ones who perform the best getting more bonuses, to provide motivation to engage in it, so even if one faction gets stomped, they are still in a stronger position than they started, or at least not a weaker one.

--- End quote ---

In part the "fearless leaders" of the factions will do that; in other parts the political influence system should do it as for the beginning of the game all factions have nothing else that will gain them points but hitting on another...
--- End quote ---
That's called meta gaming, Lorric. Where's the fun in that?
Either way, defying your leader's wishes is going to leave your faction in a weaker overal state.

Destiny:
Maybe the Cyrvans ought to be a force of nature; cryptic, unpredictable, doesn't listen to any Jerrans.

For the subspace missile attack, while it's only minor, but is there anyway to counter/defend from it?

I don't have any faction preferences, but I'll take whatever chess piece Spoon throws at me if the board has space.

Lorric:
Looks like the SF is flat out superior to the CRF. However, I guess there will be other considerations, but having Earth as a piece of real estate would be one hell of a consideration I'm guessing.

--- Quote from: Spoon on May 11, 2014, 05:04:43 pm ---I'm assuming everyone will want their faction to come out on top in the end (there will be a reward of some kind for the players of the winning faction)
--- End quote ---

Honestly, I'm pretty meh about that. But a reward might well change that. Right now, my main desire would be to survive the Hierarchy invasion, and if that doesn't happen, no one gets a reward anyway.

--- Quote ---That's called meta gaming, Lorric. Where's the fun in that?
Either way, defying your leader's wishes is going to leave your faction in a weaker overal state.

--- End quote ---

So what would you be having us do? All act individually, even within our own faction? No more discussion threads?

Spoon:

--- Quote from: Lorric on May 11, 2014, 05:17:28 pm ---So what would you be having us do? All act individually, even within our own faction? No more discussion threads?

--- End quote ---
Oh no, not at all. Discuss away, among yourselves, among your competition. Most of the information is going to be in the open anyway.
Why would you want to act indiviually in your own faction anyway? That seems highly counterproductive.

--- Quote from: Destiny on May 11, 2014, 05:15:28 pm ---Maybe the Cyrvans ought to be a force of nature; cryptic, unpredictable, doesn't listen to any Jerrans.

For the subspace missile attack, while it's only minor, but is there anyway to counter/defend from it?

I don't have any faction preferences, but I'll take whatever chess piece Spoon throws at me if the board has space.

--- End quote ---
I'll mark you down for the last position that remains open. Though this is not a sign up thread yet, since I dont know when (if at all!) this would even start.

The CSA will definitely do its own thing.

There is no specific defense against SSM attacks right now, maybe as an unlockable action later on in the tech tree? I don't know yet, right now I don't think it really needs a specific counter meassure cause it's a pretty weak attack for a single supply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version