Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422915 times)

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)
I don't know if this is the correct thread or if the FSO 19.0.0-RC1 one would be more appropriate. Some time ago, since I only have an Intel integrated graphic card and shadows hit my FPS really hard, I was suggested to add the "-no_glsl" flag to FSO. It still does the job, even if now I'm getting an "Unrecognized command line parameter" error. This flag, along with the -disable_glsl_model, should be in the Troubleshooting tab (source: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#Troubleshooting), but I don't see them in Knossos.

Hi!

I can help test and debug the packaging of knossos and QT on OSX, I think. I use a mac for all my freespace stuff. I can definitely reproduce the issue with the 14.0 RC1 download you posted (the window shows up but it's just grey).

I don't have that much experience with QT, but am a generally experienced programmer and debugger.

I don't know what usage numbers are like for macs, but personally I'd like to help fix the issue if possible. Did anything change with the packaging of Knossos between the main 0.13.3 release and this RC?

Thanks

Tom

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I am eagerly anticipating improved Mac support, keep changing MacBook at work and just don't have the time I used to to help develop it myself, but do attempt to report testing results of each new release.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline m!m

I don't know if this is the correct thread or if the FSO 19.0.0-RC1 one would be more appropriate. Some time ago, since I only have an Intel integrated graphic card and shadows hit my FPS really hard, I was suggested to add the "-no_glsl" flag to FSO. It still does the job, even if now I'm getting an "Unrecognized command line parameter" error. This flag, along with the -disable_glsl_model, should be in the Troubleshooting tab (source: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#Troubleshooting), but I don't see them in Knossos.
"-no_glsl" along with "-disable_glsl_model" have been removed for a while now and do not have any effect anymore. You probably had these issues back when shadows were enabled by default which is no longer the case. Now they need to be enabled explicitly.

"-no_glsl" along with "-disable_glsl_model" have been removed for a while now and do not have any effect anymore. You probably had these issues back when shadows were enabled by default which is no longer the case. Now they need to be enabled explicitly.
Thank you for the info! :D Indeed I removed the flags and the fps are the same... Seems like this time around the issues I was having were caused by vsync (which now is solved).

Could somebody with the required knowledge update the wiki page than?

Here is an odd question for you guys: if I'm creating around half a dozen of sub-mods for another mod, should I group them all togheter into an unique mod called something along the lines of "fan tweaks", or should I create several separate mods and "spam" Knossos with 1 or 2 KB mods?

I'd rather like to use the first option, but I'm reading the documentation (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oHq1YRc1eXbCgW-NqqKo1-6N_myfZzoBdwZuP16XImA/edit?pli=1#) and it's written that I have to create at least 1 "required" package... so I would have to make an empty .vp file, correct? (since all the actual sub-mods packages will be "optional")

Like, that empty .vp file will be "required" and have the parent mod as requirement.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:55:41 pm by Durandal7 »

I'm getting a weird error when I try to install a couple different campaigns from Knossos 0.13.3 in Linux Mint.  "A critical error has occurred! Knossos might not work correctly until you restart it.  The error has been reported and will hopefully be fixed soon."

I haven't tried every possible campaign to install yet, but I keep getting it consistently with "The Mantle" and with the recently reuploaded "Friends and Foes" campaigns.  I posted this awhile back in Bomb3rman's release thread, but he isn't sure what could be the problem.

Are these issues actually getting reported to someone somewhere?  Is there anything I can do on my end to help diagnose?  I know Linux is probably not the preferred platform for Knossos or FSO, but for the most part I've been able to get both to work!  Just a couple befuddling exceptions, which is unfortunate because I really like both of these campaigns!  (An aside shout out: if you haven't played Friends and Foes or The Mantle yet, do yourself a favor and DO SO!  Solid, quality missions with good writing and characterization!  And they are fun to play!)
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

ok, so first time installing. "just hit run". ok, done and done, run the launcher, leave path the same, run game "executable not detected". da fuq? find this forum. realized i screwed up with the file destination and need to set it to the game. ok, no prop, easy fix "don't use preexisting FS2 directory, that won't work" ........  :mad:  :banghead:
 :o ok, calmed down enough to ask... how the hell do i make this thing work?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I believe that message just means that you have to point to somewhere new for knossos to do its thing.

Offline Robsoie

Hello,

I'm very new to Knossos but today i decided to finally give it a try, i downloaded the 0.14 RC1
https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases/tag/v0.14.0-rc.1

Wasn't expecting window 10 smartscreen to prevent me to install it, so instead of ignoring smartscreen i decided to try to just use 7zip to extract the Knossos installer instead of launching said installer.

In the extracted folder i double clicked on the Knossos.exe and Knossos launched without a single problem, no smart screen , nothing.
From there i could configure it again without problem.

So maybe a distribution of a simple archive instead of only an installer for window could solve the Smart Screen problem ?

Hello,

I'm very new to Knossos but today i decided to finally give it a try, i downloaded the 0.14 RC1
https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases/tag/v0.14.0-rc.1

Wasn't expecting window 10 smartscreen to prevent me to install it, so instead of ignoring smartscreen i decided to try to just use 7zip to extract the Knossos installer instead of launching said installer.

In the extracted folder i double clicked on the Knossos.exe and Knossos launched without a single problem, no smart screen , nothing.
From there i could configure it again without problem.

So maybe a distribution of a simple archive instead of only an installer for window could solve the Smart Screen problem ?

Windows SmartScreen is extremely dumb protection, it looks for signatures on an executable file only. The author of Knossos has not cryptographically signed the archive. That's it.
You can bypass SmartScreen by clicking "More Info" and "Proceed Anyway".

I'm not sure if this is a Knossos problem or something else, but...

I've installed MediaVPS, FSPort and FSPort Media VPS.  Ticked all boxes for all of them.

When I try to play FSPort Media VPS, my ship's ML-16s and Disruptors look like this:
https://i.imgur.com/lNrC7pR.png

I've tried checking file intergrity, uninstalling and redownloading everything... no luck.
Oddly, if I install Silent Threat: Reborn and change the campaign to Freespace, the lasers look more normal, but I'm not sure if doing that will mess up my FSPort campaigns in some way.

Any idea what's going on here?
Is this a problem with the files Knossos is grabbing or something else?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Graphics drivers up to date?

Graphics drivers up to date?

Yes.
I actually found what was causing it: turning on the post processing (post_process) flag makes them look that way.  That goes for Silent Threat: Reborn too - I didn't realize it the first time because I hadn't set the FSO Options for Silent Threat: Reborn up the same way when I went to try it.  But once I turned on post_processing for Silent Threat: Reborn it did the same thing.

It does the same on two different machines... maybe FSPort MediaVPS just don't like the post processing option?

I don't think it's a Knossos issue now.
Maybe I can make a bug report for FSPort Mediavps.

Offline maquise

• Steam
From the beginning, I will say I'm fairly new at Freespace 2 in general.

I've installed the Diaspora: Shattered Armistice mod off of Knossos, and it will not start. Every time I try to start it, I get a "Application Error - The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)" pop-up. I am running Knossos 0.13.3, and Diaspora 1.1.3 (only version currently available to me). I get the same popup if I try to run any of the Debug options. Strangely enough, opening the FSO Options also produces the debug, but the FSO panel does show up.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Wondering if your antvirus interfered with the installation.  Or perhaps OpenAL wasn't installed.

Offline maquise

• Steam
The Babylon Project seems to run fine, that's the only other one I've currently installed.

Offline Deneb

• Steam
Trying to get FS2 and Open installed via Knossos. I downloaded the setup exe from GOG however when I select it in Knossos to install it gives me an error saying "The installer does not contain the retail files! Please make sure you selected the correct installer!"

Not sure what I can do differently as there is only the exe file to work with.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Did GOG change their installer?

A more round-a-about way you can do if you'r comfortable is to install FS2 using the GOG installer (make sure not to install into Program Files or other protected OS area.

After than you can run Knossos and simply point it to where GOG installed FS2. It should be able to setup from there.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.