Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134715 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's quite a bit more serious than that though. This particular bug has an incubation period of 11 days or so and is infectious during it, meaning that people carrying it will infect others during that time. That makes it extraordinarily difficult to control the spread of the infection; if the chinese quarantine measures seem harsh, it's because anything less than that can't work.

I'd say it's not the transmission or fatality that makes it scary, it's this long incubation period that makes it so easy to possibly escape containment which makes it worrying...

In other news, is anybody else playing Plague, Inc.?

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
https://nextshark.com/plague-inc-increase-sales-amid-coronavirus/

All of China apparently.

We will probably do something similar when humanity enters into World War Three.

We will make real time epic battle royale games featuring actual living and deceased soldiers that will document the progress of the war through memes.
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
document the progress of the war through memes.

This already happens in the British Army, in seriously heavy detail.  But 99.9 percent of it is incredibly graphic and by societal standards in very poor taste.

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well, it looks like Italy, Iran and South Korea have decided to play Plague Inc as well. Ironically parts of China are getting declared disease-free now as they've had no new cases in 14 days. My current home city of Xi'an is still locked down and supposedly only going back to semi-normal on the 3rd of March.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
But 99.9 percent of it is incredibly graphic and by societal standards in very poor taste.

Pretty sure that could be applied to just about any military.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Dunno, add me on WhatsApp and I'll fire some stuff over I received today 😂😂
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Dysko

It looks like I'll have a pretty boring month ahead, so I have quite a lot of time to rant about the situation in Italy.

Italy was one of the first countries to ban all flights to/from China. Too bad they did not think about indirect flights, so no quarantine was enforced for people arriving via intermediate stops.

The first cases were 2 Chinese tourists visiting Rome, who miraculously did not infect anybody else. They even recovered pretty well, despite their elderly age (~80 years old).

Then few weeks ago we had our first domestic cases, most probably triggered by an asymptomatic patient arrived from China via Munich.

At first it was decided to lock down the few towns where the first cases appeared, and outside this area it was asked to limit social activities (e.g. bars closing earlier) to prevent the spread of the virus.
People reacted in the most sensible way: either by going en masse to supermarkets to stock up food supplies, or by organizing group protests "You cannot limit our social activities!"

Then it was asked to avoid crowded places.
People reacted in the most sensible way: overcrowding ski resorts, with long queues for the ski lifts.

Then the government said "Since you are too stupid to follow rules, we have to lock down most of northern Italy [the most badly hit area. unfortunately I live in the second most hit province in the most hit region of Italy] to prevent further spread".
People reacted in the most sensible way: overcrowding trains departing towards southern Italy (also thanks to the government who announced the lock down BEFORE restricting travel).

Yesterday it was announced that, since the situation is out of control, the whole of Italy is in lock down until 3rd April.
People reacted in the most sensible way: by going en masse to supermarkets AGAIN to stock up food supplies.

The virus will not kill us. Our stupidity will.

Anyway, in my area the situation is pretty bad. Hospitals ran out of ICUs, so it was ordered to "prioritize patients with higher survival chances": let the elderly die, and try to save younger patients.

This is not a "slightly stronger flu". Our national healthcare system is collapsing. All non-COVID-19 issues are being postponed until the emergency is over (and optimistically a vaccine will not be available before mid-2021 :shaking: ).

Add to this that generally Italian bosses tend to think that smart working is for slackers and most are still forcing all employees to go to work (traveling is not restricted yet for "urgent health issues, urgent needs (e.g. buying food supplies) and urgent job-related reasons"). Me and my collegues had to argue to get assigned remote working.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Add to this that generally Italian bosses tend to think that smart working is for slackers
Oh, yes it's a thing I have always found annoying about Italian work mentality.

I live on a small island and even a bit outside of its main urban center, so I am lucky in that regard I guess.
Of course our hotel should open in a few weeks and we already started getting cancellations for April but no panic at the supermarket or stuff like that though I had to wait outside the pharmacy (or chemist or however you call it) when I got some medicines for my brother (broken Achilles tendon, nothing to do with the virus) I had to wait outside to respect the two meters distance.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Has anyone read World War Z? The zombie outbreak starts in China. Coincidence? I think not.

Awesome book. Movie - not so much. Free MUSE gig we won in a radio competition tie-in with the movie - Priceless  :cool:

Re being forced to go in to work. I have worked at places before which supposedly encouraged remote working - on paper. The old-guard managers didn't embrace it however. Thankfully now I'm self-employed and work from home. Plus, being a colossal introvert I only go out and mingle if I really have to. My infection risk should be pretty low, and being a bit of an OCD hygiene freak forgetting to wash my hands after touching anything isn't an issue. Which is why I am not too worried.

If I wasn't in such a fortunate position I would be starting to get worried. The governments of many countries appear to be taking it seriously. I don't recall them doing half a s much for SARS, Swine Flu (H1N1), Avian Flu (H7N9), ebola etc. Although it is mainly immunocompromised individuals, the very old and the very young that are most at risk, there have been fatalities of perfectly healthy people in their 20s and 30s. Since my ex is immunocompromised due to chemo / medication it is a bit of a worry. Plus all three children have health problems and the youngest is only 9.

I am still technically subscribed to a number of 'prepper' type YT channels back from when I was researching for my book (insert shameless plug - its free) https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/trlzsg and some of them are freaking out. Not the best barometer perhaps, since preppers by their nature think about and plan for worst-case-scenarios, but still something to think about.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 03:52:33 pm by Iain Baker »
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I was forced to stay inside. My country's got 130+ cases. Plus, there are fake news as well as swaths of misinformation flooded as part of a manufactured nihilism. I guess that the age of manufactured nihilism and the coronavirus outbreak are something that campaign creators should take note of as inspirations.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I guess that the age of manufactured nihilism and the coronavirus outbreak are something that campaign creators should take note of as inspirations.

Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Anyway, in my area the situation is pretty bad. Hospitals ran out of ICUs, so it was ordered to "prioritize patients with higher survival chances": let the elderly die, and try to save younger patients.

This is chilling. https://threader.app/thread/1237142891077697538

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Meanwhile, things are becoming increasingly normal here in China. The only issue the Chinese are worried about now seems to be foreigners bringing the virus back in.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Also meanwhile, belated ineffectual travel bans are now in place, and the entire US professional (and amateur) sporting apparatus seems to be taking a hiatus.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not gonna lie, the outbreak here in the US is causing me at least some anxiety. (I'm a borderline hypochondriac as it is... according to my wife.) Though, the part that worries me the most is that we have a goddamn ****ing moron in the White House who made it all about himself, PR, and his political outcome. ****ing **** that mother ****er. He's going be the cause of at least a few deaths. He has no idea what he's doing.

I feel a little better after writing that sentence.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And now Tom Hanks and his wife tested positive.  We live in the ****ing worst timeline.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We live in the ****ing worst timeline.

That legit made me laugh out loud.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Yeah, i am in quarantine now.
Since yesterday, because in the company where my husband works there is at least one confirmed infected person. One of the Field staff. And now they taken down all Employees who have seen him once during the last two weeks and so all other persons who had contact with the persons who have seen him.

That is totally stupid as you meet many people during two weeks...

Even not much is changing for me, as i am working from home anyway. Only that i am not even allowed to leave the house or you will be caught by the police eventually. Great.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
We live in the ****ing worst timeline.

That legit made me laugh out loud.

What if this is the only timeline where Volition released the source code, or heaven forbid, made freespace.

Lots of toilet paper being hoarded in the UK for some unknown sheeple reason.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.