Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134699 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Notice that no one particularly wanted to talk about the subject when it was going on though? Why is it that it's only in March that we're talking about China's failures in December & January? Could it possibly be that people want to distract us away from talking about America's failure in March being talked about in March?

China's cover-up is ongoing. Four of the disappearances/imprisonments that I mentioned took place in February. Ren Zhiqiang disappeared earlier this month.

And again, it's only now that people want to talk about it. Those four disappearances happened in February! Why didn't you post about them in February if you wanted to talk about them? Why didn't you post about Ren Zhiqiang earlier this month then? Why is it only when people want to complain about jr2's whataboutism that all of a sudden they became important? Why is it that if you know enough about China to remember the names of missing dissidents (or cared enough to look them up), the fact that jr2's 21 million missing people claim was obviously utter bull**** didn't register as wrong immediately? Why is it that instead, it was something you felt the need to enter the thread and add to instead of challenging it?

No one is excusing China's behaviour. What I'm complaining about is that jr2 is being very selective in his criticisms. We all know and agree that China has made mistakes. No one is discussing China because we all agree. There's no discussion to be had! But jr2's entire contribution to this thread has been to misrepresent the truth by being very selective in what he complains about or to engage in whataboutism when he's called out on something. Many of the complaints he's making about China are also very valid about America. "The government spent a lot of time denying that Covid19 was a problem". Is that a complaint about China or America? Yet jr2's working very hard to excuse America's mistakes and is pointing out the mistakes China made even though no one disagrees about those? Why?

I honestly have to wonder why. And I have to start wondering why you decided to spend time arguing about the dates those dissidents disappeared rather than understanding the general point I was making.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

We all know and agree that China has made mistakes. No one is discussing China because we all agree. There's no discussion to be had!

I wasn't aware of this. I apologize for hijacking the thread.

We passed the 9/11 death toll in the past two days! CONTINUE THE DOUBLING

Are we there already? I thought the coronavirus death toll was in the low two thousands.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can we, as a thread, make an informed decision and ignore jr2's meaningless waffle
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Can we, as a thread, make an informed decision and ignore jr2's meaningless waffle

If he was just one person deliberately deluding himself, I'd say yes. But unfortunately this is the same kool-aid that most Trump supporters are cheerfully drinking down. It's amazing that the same people who cheerfully accepted that the virus was under control a month ago and that claims it could become a danger were a hoax are still listening to the same sources but that's apparently the world we live in now.

China didn't go far enough,

Then you know that what the US is doing right now isn't going far enough either.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
You cannot hide a pandemic. You can for some time cook the numbers of the infected or deliberately do not test people. But at some point all hospitals will be overrun by the sick and fill with dead bodies. Good luck hiding that. It is a conspiracy theory on the level of moon landing deniers to claim that Chinese numbers arent at least broadly correct. And I say it as someone who hates communists.

Say what you will about China but they did ultimately handle this crisis really well. Compare to incompetent crackpots in Western authorities such as "masks dont work, travel restrictions are ineffective" CDC and WHO.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Say what you will about China but they did ultimately handle this crisis really well. Compare to incompetent crackpots in Western authorities such as "masks dont work, travel restrictions are ineffective" CDC and WHO.

The US implemented travel restrictions pretty early.

You may have noted that they did not work.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
The US implemented travel restrictions pretty early.

You may have noted that they did not work.

Not early enough, and they did flatten the curve. Would be even worse without them.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We all know and agree that China has made mistakes. No one is discussing China because we all agree. There's no discussion to be had!

I wasn't aware of this. I apologize for hijacking the thread.

We passed the 9/11 death toll in the past two days! CONTINUE THE DOUBLING

Are we there already? I thought the coronavirus death toll was in the low two thousands.

Whoops you’re right, I should’ve waited 24 hours before declaring 9/11 2. Unless the doubling stopped!

Whoops you’re right, I should’ve waited 24 hours before declaring 9/11 2. Unless the doubling stopped!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Assuming half of cases are asymptomatic or undetected, we're closing in on 0.1% of all Americans infected. That may not sound like much but it's one in every thousand, and the asymptomatic won't know they're spreading it to two or three other people. The flu usually gets to 1 in 6 Americans every year and COVID has a much higher R0.

Stay home. You may have it already. You could save hundreds or thousands of lives by cutting off your infection tree at the base.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:42:01 am by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Lol wait I forgot we have to fix the economy. Everyone go work, go spend money, it can't infect more than 100% of us but the stock market has no ceiling!!!!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Number must go..... down?

this is unnatural, anticapitalist and probably a liberal lie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In more serious news, this has me slightly worried.

TL;DR: Thomas Schäfer, finance minister for the german state of Hesse, has committed suicide. Apparently, according to the investigators, he left a note in which he cited the stress of dealing with the fallout of covid as a reason.
This is both understandable and worrying: Frankfurt am Main, Hesse's capital, is Germany's financial center. In his role as finance minister, it was his job to organize a large portion of Hesse's response to corona and to reassure people that everything was getting dealt with. Schäfer was one of the rising stars of the hessian CDU, it was pretty much assumed (and he was planning to) take over the hessian CDU and, with it, the position of hessian Prime Minister. In his public appearances, he was always exactly the sort of politician germans tend to like: Solid, competent, self-assured without being cocky. That he was overwhelmed by this crisis and that he apparently did not see a way through it is worrying on many levels.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
This is just extremely sad. While a lot of people just don't care at all, such persons as this minister work and worry themselves into the ground like this. And it's a recurring theme all around the world...

Aaaaaaand while medical facilities in Poland are severely reglamenting the use of safety equipement like, among other things, face masks, in order to save them up for critical situations, our glorious government decided that not only the presidential elections will go according to schedule, but also every member of the election local oversight is going to have an adequate amount of masks and gloves provided by them, just as every voter. And they started stocking up. The estimate is that the oversight personnel will require about 4,2 million face mask + single use glove pair sets for this one single day. Plus an additional set per every voter. About 13-15 million sets total if the voter attendance is below one third.

Current prime minister declared that the elections are perfectly feasible and that the quarantine was tightened exactly to make sure they happen.

Because of this, some high ranking members of municipal administration had declared civil disobedience against the goverment, and I presume more cases are to follow. At least one presidential candidate decided to withdraw their application as a form of strike against this. The National Electoral Commission pushes the government as hard as they can to move the damn election day.

i want out
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Trump says he'll have done a good job if only 100,000 people die

Setting that bar so low you have to dig for it.

They're digging either way  :blah:

So the construction jobsite I've been working at is re-opening Monday after being closed for a week. It's a wide open solar field, but there are about a hundred dudes who are going to be staying in motels in town, or carpooling daily, and still sharing the same handful of portable toilets.

But, they are checking everybody's temperature at the gate to make sure they don't have the corona.

I have decided I don't need to be a part of that, and I let them know I won't be in this week.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Trump says he'll have done a good job if only 100,000 people die

Jesus frakkin' christ on a sh!ttim wood crutch, what a manchild. Could President* Trump possibly be any more of a brat about this?

So the construction jobsite I've been working at is re-opening Monday after being closed for a week. It's a wide open solar field, but there are about a hundred dudes who are going to be staying in motels in town, or carpooling daily, and still sharing the same handful of portable toilets.

But, they are checking everybody's temperature at the gate to make sure they don't have the corona.

I have decided I don't need to be a part of that, and I let them know I won't be in this week.

Yeah, on a similar note, I came down with a sore throat 2 days ago (on my day off) and called in sick from my job at the supermarket yesterday and today. I'm pretty sure it ain't the coronavirus as a sore throat isn't a (major) symptom since Covid-19 is a respiratory ailment, but I'm not taking any chances of this sore throat migrating into a chest cold. (That's how I got pneumonia a few years back: by being the proverbial good soldier and showing up to work before I was fully recovered.) If work doesn't like it, tough. I need the paycheck, but I need functioning lungs more. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The good news is my sore throat is almost gone as of this writing, but I'm not going in to work until I'm sure I'm fully recovered. I'm giving it at least another day before I go back to work.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:30:51 am by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Having honestly no clue about your constitution, I'm asking genuinely if there any clause where he can get binned for just being bloody bad.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png