Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134738 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Y'all have problems.

I had a bit of a talk with people around. Seems like in my region noone ****ing cares anymore. Whatever data we have are most likely faked to be several times lower than they actually are, vaccine deploymet is horrible and plagued with misinformation and corruption, plenty of people lost their life's work because some bureaucrat assholes couldn't manage anything right. People stopped caring about masks, distancing, travel limitations and whatever related things.

Recently, removal of the citizen right to not accept a fine (and settle the matter in court) was suggested in the parliment, and wasn't declined yet.

Thousands upon thousands of penalties and forced closings issued by the sanitary services are being dismissed by the courts as issued illegaly and in blatant disregard of the constitution.

Of course, to many people the damage is already done. But who cares.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Shouldn't it be Republicana Factio Delenda Est...?
Actually, you’re quite right. I just got the mask today and I’m going to wear them tomorrow at work.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Guess whose place of employment is in the midst of a major outbreak? And guess who tested positive yesterday? This guy!

Offline Luis Dias

Jesus Christ, I wish you and your closest ones good luck and a strong recovery!

Offline Luis Dias

Back at the beginning of this **** I floated "three million dead Americans" as an absurd worst case scenario. We're up to 400,000! With 100,000 in the last couple weeks alone! So we're only three doublings from exceeding my goal.

Nice!!!!

The irony will be of course that the bulk of these deads will have occurred within a democratic presidency, and thus we will hear for decades how all of this coronavirus massacre was all the democrat's fault. Just seven hours after taking his office, Biden was already being "asked" by Hannity why was he not doing enough to fight the pandemic.

Seriously, I'm beggining to think that the death penalty is actually a good idea and everyone in the GOP propaganda machine should get it.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Guess whose place of employment is in the midst of a major outbreak? And guess who tested positive yesterday? This guy!

You can't have it because it's a hoax and wearing a mask infringes on your freedoms.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline starlord

Best of luck

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You can't have it because it's a hoax and wearing a mask infringes on your freedoms.
I mean everyone at my workplace (a high school) does wear masks for the entire day, except for lunch...which is where most of the teachers who got it were most likely exposed, since they all share the same lunch period. I don't know what my vector was, but it was probably cafeteria duty, when I'm in near-ish vicinity of over 75 kids removing their masks to eat.

At the moment the only real symptoms I have are full loss of smell and partial loss of taste. That and sheer boredom from being confined to the walls of my bedroom.

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

• Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy Was He?
I say it's all a subtle Shivan ploy to try wiping us out before we end up "out there" to face them...we nearly defeat them...and they pull a SKYNET time jump trick on us.
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."  - Captain John Sheridan
-------
In Diffucult Ground; Press On
In Encircled Ground; Devise Strategems
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Sun Tzu on The Art of War circa 400 B.C.

At the moment the only real symptoms I have are full loss of smell and partial loss of taste. That and sheer boredom from being confined to the walls of my bedroom.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to go on a diet and play some video games!

(seriously though, I hope it stays mild, and that you get well soon)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Yeah I have that still. Seems like it can take a very long time for it to come back.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Half a million dead here.  Nearly 2.5 million through the whole world.

I think it is a sign of how isolated my community really is that I haven't lost anyone I know personally yet.  But the waste of it all, the stupid pointless waste of all those lives makes me grieve just the same.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You'll have to forgive me for not remembering, but where is your "here"?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

No worries.  I'm fairly quiet and mostly just lurk.  I live in the US.  More specifically, south Texas.  Couple hours away from anyplace anyone would actually want to be, but as I'm learning, that too can be an advantage sometimes...

On a positive note, my wife was able to get her 1st dose of vaccine this morning!  Thank God.  Me and the kids aren't eligible yet.  My mom and dad did too last week.  They live much further north, but they're definitely old enough to qualify.  From what she's telling me, it was all being handled very efficiently and professionally.  It's a miles-long drive through leading into the parking lot around an old fairground.  Then they split the cars into 4 lanes, get everyone registered while they are still a ways off from the injections.  Then when they have enough cars of people ready, they pull them up into the area where they have all the nurses and doctors.  They already have all of the syringes staged and ready to go.  Swab and wipe, shot in the arm (she hates shots but says this one didn't hurt at all), and then they are told to pull up to a 15 minute waiting area.  Then some doctors walk by asking visually, "Thumbs up?"  You respond, "Thumbs up," they make a helicopter spiral and you're off to head back home.  All in all, took less than an hour.

Man that's a relief.  It's taking awhile, but relief is getting here.  It's just.... so much of this was preventable.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Positive actions are happening in most places now, that's what counts bud.   Hope you haven't been snowed in too much lately 👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Thanks.  Yeah, we got pretty chilly, at least for us.  A hard freeze that lasts more than 24 hours is kind of unheard of this far south.  There wasn't much snow for us, though.  Just a light dusting.  The kids complained about not getting to play in snow until about the 2nd night of the power outage.  By then it had dropped to 59°F (15°C for the rest of the civilized world) inside the house and about 23°F (-5°C) outside.  I count us lucky.  We bounced over and under the freezing point a couple times over as many days.  That helped us to hold onto our heat, I think.

Up in Houston they were below freezing for nearly the whole week.  Some houses dropped to just a hair above freezing indoors before they got power back.  And there are at least some cases of people freezing to death in their own homes.  The poor bastards.  We're just not ready for this sort of thing.  Our infrastructure wasn't made to handle much more than a light freeze.  We can handle temperatures well above 100°F (~38°C) for extended periods of time, but a lot of our generators cooling systems just flat our were not made to operate that cold, because it didn't used to ever GET that cold.

Guess that's yet another "new normal" we have to get used to.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Getting vaccinated next week!

Lucky to get in early, the EU (and The Netherlands in particular) dropped the ball when it came to the vaccinations, putting all its faith in the promises of one company in particular. Bit frustrated about the EU basically handing Boris Johnson a propaganda victory, more frustrated at the EU's laissez-faire approach to public health.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 09:59:52 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, it's kind of astounding reading about how it's been handled over there. We ****ed up pretty much everything else yet somehow we've done shockingly well at rolling out the vaccine. A number of states are making it available to everyone over 16 without restrictions now. My state is not nearly so competent, but it did make the fantastic call to allocate its entire initial batch of the J&J version to educators, so I got my dose a couple of weeks ago.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We did well in the UK too.

*mumble* *mumble* fascists *mumble* *mumble* trains run on time. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Yeah, it's kind of astounding reading about how it's been handled over there. We ****ed up pretty much everything else yet somehow we've done shockingly well at rolling out the vaccine. A number of states are making it available to everyone over 16 without restrictions now. My state is not nearly so competent, but it did make the fantastic call to allocate its entire initial batch of the J&J version to educators, so I got my dose a couple of weeks ago.

I mean it wasn't great until Biden took office, so. . .
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”