Author Topic: Star Wars: Squadrons  (Read 9626 times)

Games that support both VR and regular modes have given me no end of performance issues in VR. The game runs just fine for me in regular modes, fwiw

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That is true to some extent, but I can usually get 90fps in other games by turning down the resolution or settings. Somehow VR is a lot more intensive than regular flatscreen even at a similar resolution. Maybe the FOV is bigger and it renders more stuff.

Apparently this is the issue.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:45:48 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I have this game and recently bought a Quest 2 headset, however, whenever I try to fire this up in VR after paring a gamepad to the headset (Xbox One gamepad), the gamepad unpairs itself and I have no controls in game? Either that or I just get a black screen within the headset, audio plays but no visuals? This happens whether using Virtual Desktop or the Oculus Link cable using a Radeaon RX 580 graphics card.

Does anyone know whats going wrong here or have any fixes available?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I have this game and recently bought a Quest 2 headset, however, whenever I try to fire this up in VR after paring a gamepad to the headset (Xbox One gamepad), the gamepad unpairs itself and I have no controls in game? Either that or I just get a black screen within the headset, audio plays but no visuals? This happens whether using Virtual Desktop or the Oculus Link cable using a Radeaon RX 580 graphics card.

Have you tried disabling the steam input API?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mikes

Isn't the quest the standalone headset? Didn't know you can even use that with games like that. Maybe pair the Gamepad to the PC in this case?

Lemme know how it works out in any case. I may be getting myself a Quest 2 too if it works well.

The balance of this game is totally ****ed up, and it sucks. The One Weird Trick to win in Fleet Battles seems to be "get put on the Republic team by matchmaking". The game is so skewed against Imperials that I almost never see them win.

My suspicion is that this is because Imperial ships being fast but lightly armoured makes them worse across the board at actually assaulting the flagship than shielded Republic ships, because that's where I consistently see the game break towards the Republic team.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

Isn't the quest the standalone headset? Didn't know you can even use that with games like that. Maybe pair the Gamepad to the PC in this case?

Yeah it's standalone but you can still connect to a pc system for traditional VR functionality is what I'm told.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The balance of this game is totally ****ed up, and it sucks. The One Weird Trick to win in Fleet Battles seems to be "get put on the Republic team by matchmaking". The game is so skewed against Imperials that I almost never see them win.

My suspicion is that this is because Imperial ships being fast but lightly armoured makes them worse across the board at actually assaulting the flagship than shielded Republic ships, because that's where I consistently see the game break towards the Republic team.

I think a part of it is that the implants on the rebel cruiser are much less obvious to spot and many just don't use the targeting computer to spot them.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

When I played it was the other way around, the meta revolving around the TIE Bomber consistently.

It seems to invert a fair bit based on skill level, having looked up more about the meta since.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

Lemme know how it works out in any case. I may be getting myself a Quest 2 too if it works well.

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on here for a while.

Yeah, using an Oculus Link cable in a USB3.0 port or better, or using Virtual Desktop wirelessly via the wifi, you can use the Quest 2 as a PCVR headset and play Rift and Stream VR games.

Still haven't figured this out, jusr gave up on the vr mode and played it 2d style, finished the single payer mode and then lost intrerest in it LOL. I've yet to try the multiplayer as I don't often play many multiplayer games and I would probably get beat quite easily on it.

I also have issues actually getting the game to work properly in VR mode too, sometimes I don't get an image, just a FPS counter in the top left hand corner of the display?

I've played COD Warzone on the headset via Vitrual Desktop and had the display as a large curved screen in front of me which is quite immersive, apart from having to play seated and using a joypad. Can't play it like that for too long however as 1. The headset gets hot 2. The charge doesn't last more than an hour and a half and 3. it can cause a little motion sickness LOL.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions