Author Topic: I Just Wanted A Chance To Explain Myself  (Read 4450 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: I Just Wanted A Chance To Explain Myself
I apologize. That's not meant to be snide. I'm just disappointed that after opening up and seeking reconciliation, they've chosen to ignore it.

EDIT: Thank you for pointing out how that was coming across.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 01:32:24 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Hey mjn,

Apologies for not replying here sooner, as someone who mainly lurks and doesn't really engage with the community on the forums, I didn't feel comfortable writing a long post about how I feel about the whole situation. However, it's important to you and I hope by engaging here I can help rebuild some bridges between us.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for my remarks, especially the ones that came across as wanting to "cut and destroy". I was hot headed at the time and frustrated with your actions, but that doesn't excuse the way I responded. Quoting Fury's post from 2010 was a low blow, it was out of order and didn't help the situation. For that I'm truly sorry. I'm also sorry for how I continued the conversation after you'd logged on. It should have been clear to me that you weren't in a good place to receive criticism, but I pushed because I felt angry. Continuing to antagonise you was wrong, and did nothing to get across the issues I had in a constructive way.

I never wanted things to end up like this, and I bear a lot of the blame for things turning out the way they did. I'm truly glad that even through our hostile interaction, that you were able to see the issue that frustrated me in the first place. I want this community to be a welcoming place for newcomers, and voicing my issues in such a hostile manner achieved the opposite of that. I hope that you can understand that while my actions were wrong, that they came from a love of freespace and the community that surrounds it.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hey mjn,

Apologies for not replying here sooner, as someone who mainly lurks and doesn't really engage with the community on the forums, I didn't feel comfortable writing a long post about how I feel about the whole situation. However, it's important to you and I hope by engaging here I can help rebuild some bridges between us.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for my remarks, especially the ones that came across as wanting to "cut and destroy". I was hot headed at the time and frustrated with your actions, but that doesn't excuse the way I responded. Quoting Fury's post from 2010 was a low blow, it was out of order and didn't help the situation. For that I'm truly sorry. I'm also sorry for how I continued the conversation after you'd logged on. It should have been clear to me that you weren't in a good place to receive criticism, but I pushed because I felt angry. Continuing to antagonise you was wrong, and did nothing to get across the issues I had in a constructive way.

I never wanted things to end up like this, and I bear a lot of the blame for things turning out the way they did. I'm truly glad that even through our hostile interaction, that you were able to see the issue that frustrated me in the first place. I want this community to be a welcoming place for newcomers, and voicing my issues in such a hostile manner achieved the opposite of that. I hope that you can understand that while my actions were wrong, that they came from a love of freespace and the community that surrounds it.

Thank you for saying this, I do feel it's important. I bear plenty of the responsibility myself. We all share that love of freespace and this community. We're good.  :yes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I've only been around HLP for less than a year, but I just thought I'd pop on here and say welcome back. I really appreciate your work with FS, and the remastered cutscenes you've done are fantastic

Offline CT27

You've helped fix a cutscene for me and BTA is a great campaign so I'm glad to see you back.  You're an important part of this community.

Welcome back. :)

I'm just disappointed that after opening up and seeking reconciliation, they've chosen to ignore it.

So obviously I don't know you all that well but my own self-esteem issues have a tendency to assign the worst possible motives to people who I perceive as treating me poorly, like thinking they have a grudge against me, percieving their (attempts at) constructive critique as personal insults or a myriad of other things where I try to fill in all sorts of absences in the most doomer way possible. This gets progressively worse the more I know those same people weirdly enough. Not sure if you ever did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy but I find it to be a great help in these sort of situations.

To give you an example:
Choosing not to reply at it at this time is not the same as ignoring it. Lots of people who just need time like Qaz just now, or people who would prefer to just keep this in mind and then take it into consideration next time they talk to you, or people who were put off by some of the other posters in this thread. Some people simply don't think their words are needed or wanted, some people are worried that what they might say would actually cause more drama and some people are still on the fence or in the "actions speak louder then words" camp and that's also okay. The best option there is just to give people time. Not only are we here limited by the limitations of text-based communication, a significant amount of the community has professed to having mental health difficulties which both makes communication itself harder and the need to get it right stronger. That's a lot of pressure.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 08:25:58 am by -Joshua- »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Finally got the bandwidth to put some words together.

I'm very glad to see you back, mjn, and it was moving to read such an open and vulnerable post.

When I've described HLP at length to others, even non-gamers, your (real first) name has come up as a shining example of one of the most talented and prolific contributors this community has ever seen. :yes:

And I Know that, as a community member, I've sometimes let myself get sucked into obsessing over critiquing minor artistic details that just don't matter, like the arm position in your spectacular new Blue Lions logo from years back.

I still fondly remember having fun chatting with you at a Starbucks in Kansas City all those years ago. :)

And I really hope your senses of taste/smell come back. I can't imagine how hard that must be/have been.

P.S. Issue #3414 should be fixed as of the September 6 nightly. Let me know on the GitHub issue or over PM if it works!

EDIT: Typo fix.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 02:38:41 pm by jg18 »