Author Topic: FreeSpace be Thicc ;-)  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
FreeSpace be Thicc ;-)
Hi all.

My 2TB HDD was getting close to maximum capacity - even with all my work stuff moved over to a separate 1TB HDD. So I started looking at what was hogging so much space. It turns out that if via knossos you install all currently released campaigns, mod packs, MVPs etc. it come to over 0.5 TB. :eek2:

That would be it then. Uninstalling campaigns commences. Note to self - don't be all OCD again by installing everything at once - your HDD will thank you  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: FreeSpace be Thicc ;-)
It does accumulate doesn't it..
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Yup. I started zipping it all as a backup before deleting files, then realised it was going to take about 12 hours, and that gets a nope from me ;-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
I'm too scared to find out how much space fso takes up on my hd :shaking:
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
173 GB for me, I guess you could say "Freespace uses up all your free space."  ;7
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
All of the uploaded files on Nebula combined are 693 GiB. Most of that space is taken by .7z archives. If you extract all of them, you should get much more than 500 GiB but then you'd have all MediaVPs and more than 10 different versions of BP, BtA, Solaris, JAD and a bunch of other mods. :lol:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
173 GB for me, I guess you could say "Freespace uses up all your free space."  ;7

Original game title is "one day in 20 years, I'll eat all your - FREESPACE"
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

As of this minute, mine takes 87 GB. I frequently look to see if I can uninstall old MediaVPs.  I have called for all mods to be updated to the latest MediaVps and Port files for the sake of preserving Harddrive space

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Original game title is "one day in 20 years, I'll eat all your - FREESPACE"

Both funny AF  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
As of this minute, mine takes 87 GB. I frequently look to see if I can uninstall old MediaVPs.  I have called for all mods to be updated to the latest MediaVps and Port files for the sake of preserving Harddrive space

It would also make everything look preeedy  :) In principal I agree, but I imagine this might be easier said than done, since Real Life is rarely that kind or convenient  :p

It would also make everything look preeedy  :) In principal I agree, but I imagine this might be easier said than done, since Real Life is rarely that kind or convenient  :p

I know Herkie says he won't be updating his Aftermath series because he doesn't think they will work in anything but 3.72, plus he lost the original files of the series

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Updating to forever the newest MediaVPs is a lot more time than you think especially if you haven't touched your said mod for a while now and had no remote idea whether they at all ran with the latest and shiniest.

First, you will have to run through the whole campaign(s) again, with debug builds. The more you have released, the more time it will take. Already, the thought of running through all those missions for the 192,684th time again just once more requires some dedication I wouldn't blame anyone for not having. Second, unless you're extremely lucky and everything works perfectly, you'll have to extract all the files and fix whatever stuff you've run into. Good for you if those are just little things like renaming subsystems or getting rid off unused-but-not-deleted weapons or ships from the tables. Chances are, over the years, the debug build you used for the old release became obsolote, and the new one will find errors you have no idea how to fix. Searching the forums then asking for advice if you can't find the solution you're looking for? Some might say this is ridiculous and stop there.

Assuming you fix all the errors the debugs complain about, and the many missions run through as a campaign from start to finish fine, you will inevitably run into stuff you want fixed/polished now that you've decided to revisit your old battlegrounds. A directive forever remaining incomplete here, cluttered messages, missions starting so abruptly it surprised even you as the maker of said mission, weird briefing icon placements, stupid messages here and there, unclear, confusing, or nonexistent recommendations in mission messages of debriefings. Oh, and WTF was I thinking when I released this mission with this difficulty? Have I forgotten to play or was the mission so ridiculously unbalanced in the first place? And the list goes on and on. Rinse and repeat for all the missions you're revising.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.