Author Topic: A high poly thing (HTL Moloch - WIP)  (Read 38704 times)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
A high poly thing (HTL Moloch - WIP)
*Works up enough guts to post this over here, then takes off into the shadows of the new HLP....;)

[sandy]I renamed the thread for clarity after checking to see which HTL ship it was about for the umpteenth time... ;)[/sandy]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 10:32:59 am by Sandwich »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Very cool, but I'm a bit worried about the polycount with all those ribs.

Offline WeatherOp

About 5,500 triangled. ;) I'm nearly done, and won't use that many more, I won't go over 6,000 total, with turrets.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
AWESOME

You MUST be the man to make the Rakshasa.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Hudson

Very sexy, Good work! Love the ribs!

Now it looks like a MORE EXPENSIVE vibrator!  W00t! :D

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Why are your screens all offset like that?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
BW: Try using [ color ] :p
-C

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I know that the [color] tags work. I know how to make them work. I even know how to get my normal colour. But colour has a u in it, and spelling errors should be fixed IMO
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Mmmmm it's my favourite ship... *Drools over the hi-polyness*

Offline WeatherOp

Another bad thing about TS 3.2 is that it lacks a good renderer, but Wings does a pretty good job.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 09:49:17 pm by WeatherOp »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hmmm. I think before anything else you should look over Nico's Moloch; as far as I know he hasn't finished it, but there are a lot of good ideas in there. You should also look at the original Volition concept art.
I don't think this is really much of an enhancement, to be honest. The form and shape hasn't changed at all, all the details have just gone into ribs that are too even and mechanical to look Shivan. If anything, they should be modeled after organic ribs that curve and taper, like the ones on the textures. The Moloch should ideally look like something from H. R. Giger's nightmares.

This treatment might not be out of place for the Rakshasa, however.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline WeatherOp

Hmmm. I think before anything else you should look over Nico's Moloch; as far as I know he hasn't finished it, but there are a lot of good ideas in there. You should also look at the original Volition concept art.
I don't think this is really much of an enhancement, to be honest. The form and shape hasn't changed at all, all the details have just gone into ribs that are too even and mechanical to look Shivan. If anything, they should be modeled after organic ribs that curve and taper, like the ones on the textures. The Moloch should ideally look like something from H. R. Giger's nightmares.

This treatment might not be out of place for the Rakshasa, however.

Actully, I did model the spikes to look like the textures, and in the textures they are straight as a tack, it's just :V:'s model that makes then look that way. While I would like to make them better, I don't want to use all those polys it would take to do so.

And I still have alot to do, so maybe I can make it look more better as I go. And on another thing, :V:'s concept art of the Moloch is the most poor concept art there, and the fact it looks far from the way the game Molch looks.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
daaaaamn that's sexy! :yes:

finish it or else. :p

5,500 polies isn't bad for that detail. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I know that the [color] tags work. I know how to make them work. I even know how to get my normal colour. But colour has a u in it, and spelling errors should be fixed IMO

Dude... Styxx worked for DAYS on a script to convert all the old posts so that they would look the way they were meant to. He replaced the old [ s ] tags with [ size=7pt ] (so all the small "don't hurt me" text wouldn't be struck out). He replaced ALL the old vB / Gamespy links to topics and threads with new SMF / Hard-light.net links to the same topics and threads. He even replaced [ colour ] with [ color ] so your guys' posts wouldn't look broken. The least you can do is stop being an (annoying) rebel without a clue and just use the color you want to without every single post making a statement, m'kay? SMF can't DO custom tags in that format - get over it.

I apologize ahead of time if this comes across as offensive; that's not my intention. I'm just a little peeved at all the hard work we put into this move getting tossed outside aside just because you say "po-tah-toe", not "po-tay-toe". :rolleyes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I replied in the other thread - no need to drag WeatherOp's thread off topic. And nobody says Po tah toe
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I liked what Nico was doing with the prow, though I don't know if there are even any references left of that.  The nu-Galactica style ribs are interesting and it looks much crisper than the original, though I'm sort of mixed as to whether that should be considered a good thing.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No offense at all to Nico, but I like this a lot better than his version; I always thought the Moloch was the most badass of the Shivan capships (Lucifer and Sathanas excepted, of course :p), and this really takes the original feel and cleans it up a lot.  Very nicely done. :)

Offline WeatherOp

Thanks for the comments, still have some to do, but luckly no one has spoted where I'm gonna put them. :P And by the way, anyone have any comments on how the turrets should look, content with the original or a more high poly version.

Offline WeatherOp

Bump. :)

Ok, after having to redo alot of the model, I have finally started adding detail again. I've changed the head back to a more original feel. And even tho I have adding more ribs elsewhere I have brought the P-count down to just below 5,000.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 09:48:55 pm by WeatherOp »