Author Topic: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)  (Read 213468 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)
the descent freespace intro is labeled FS1_Intro.ogg, taylor named it that.
It's really named intro.ogg, but where it's hosted didn't allow for two public files of the same name, and it didn't allow folders or anything.  I had no choice but to change the filename of one of them.  Since the FS2 movies were going to be linked directly though, I kept it's intro the correct name and just changed the other one.

That's why I didn't want to host them directly from that site, since it would require each user to rename the FS1 intro movie. :)

From my sig...

CUTSCENES (MOVIES)
Put the FS2 cutscenes in your "C:\Games\FreeSpace2\data\movies" folder.
Put the FS1 cutscenes in your "C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Fs1_port_3\data\movies" folder.

And this should answer your other question (I hate it when people list their files unsorted, with icon view, it makes my head spin, so here's the proper way to list it IMO. Although sorting by size can often be more helpful, alphabetically may be easier in this case.):

What are the -710 files? I just beat the campaign again (missed the Order of Galatea medal, dammit)... =) Loads of fun.

Offline Shade

MediaVP patches for 3.6.9 compatibility until the new set is done. You can find them in one of the release candidate threads in the recent builds forum, usually in the first post.

[Edit] Actually, it won't hurt to have them linked to in this thread either:

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavp/mp-710_adveffects.rar
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavp/mp-710_effects.rar
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavp/mp-710_models.rar
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Thanks! I should try that, I was having some effects problems with OpenGL and was using D3D8 instead... but D3D8 doesn't like the .ogg videos for some reason and won't display the cutscenes properly. I can hear sound and see a fuzzy screen, but that's about it.

[Edit] okay, still have effects problems with OGL, big black boxes around my subachs and other shooting effects, etc. Back to D3D it is for me.... after I try tossing in the adveffects to see if that helps.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 06:01:08 pm by TigrisJK »

i use to have the same problem, I'm not exactly sure what fixed it, but I'm sure someone here knows the solution to the black boxes on opengl

i use to have the same problem, I'm not exactly sure what fixed it, but I'm sure someone here knows the solution to the black boxes on opengl

Oh good, at least I know it's a known problem and it's fixable! =) If someone knows, that would make my life pretty fantasmic.

Had to remove adveffects... pretty, but fps dropped from 80 fps to 15 at times. Sad... cause it was really pretty. =)

Offline Shade

Which mediaVP version are you using exactly? If it's 3.6.7, that's your problem, but also easily fixed by going Here to get the 3.6.8 Zeta VPs.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Aha. Someone should update the Indiegames site then. I think that will fix it, I'll edit this post when I find out! =)

[edit] Everything works! W00t! Now in OpenGL... I started up the mission simulator just to fly around cap ships and admire the shinemaps, hehe.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:23:07 pm by TigrisJK »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
[Edit] okay, still have effects problems with OGL, big black boxes around my subachs and other shooting effects, etc. Back to D3D it is for me.... after I try tossing in the adveffects to see if that helps.

Look directly above your post. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

It actually says to look exactly where I just told you on the front page, in both the second and third news posts. Admittedly, the downloads section is not up to date, but then strictly speaking these are not official releases yet. Once the final 3.6.9 media VPs are done, I'm sure the downloads will reflect that too :)

Offline ShivanSpS

actually... you only need to do a minor change in the cutscenes.tbl of FS1 to can use the .VP of all movies...

;;
;; INTRO
;;
$Filename: intro.mve
$Name: Introduction
$Description:
Deep in the Ross 128 system, the GTA Installation Riviera picks up a
distress call from a Terran pilot.  A disbelieving communications
officer listens as the pilot frantically requests cover from
phantom attackers.
$end_multi_text
$cd: 1

to

;;
;; INTRO
;;
$Filename: FS1_intro.mve
$Name: Introduction
$Description:
Deep in the Ross 128 system, the GTA Installation Riviera picks up a
distress call from a Terran pilot.  A disbelieving communications
officer listens as the pilot frantically requests cover from
phantom attackers.
$end_multi_text
$cd: 1

POLL:

Which do you prefer:

1. 2 folders of 10 oggs each (current setup)

2. 2 movie vp's

3. 1 combined movie vp

Offline miskat

I honestly prefer the OGG files by themselves.  Makes for easier downloads, IMO.

I'm getting a CTD while playing the Derelict mission "The Horror in the Deep".

During the briefing, go into Ship selection.  Then go into Weapon selection, and select the Maxim, it is greyed out.

CTD after a long period of lag.

I honestly prefer the OGG files by themselves.  Makes for easier downloads, IMO.

So, you wanna download 20 separate files, or two packages of 10?

Offline snake60

@ [DW]-Hunter : thanks for the new upload

@ Huggybaby : i know you have the files too, but i had already dowloaded all the others vid, and i prefer not to dowload the whole pack again (as yours are in a zip). But thanks anyway

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
actually... you only need to do a minor change in the cutscenes.tbl of FS1 to can use the .VP of all movies...
That doesn't really fix anything though.  The name "intro" is hard-coded in the game to play at startup.  You change wouldn't fix that, only allow the correct intro to play through the techroom.  Plus, it makes a lot more sense to just rename the file than to edit the tbl. :)

Offline miskat

20 files.

To be honest, I love the idea of VP files... I really do.  But they scare me half to death on some issues.  Especially with a community project like this.  I know there is lots of content floating around that might be cool that is NOT in the mediavps... well... how do I get that content except to look for it.  But as a newbie I don't even know where to begin looking.  It's things like this... how to say... I never know exactly WHAT is in a VP... or what is not.  I can open a VP file and look at its structure and content, but sometimes that is not so informative, as I don't always know what it is I'm looking at.

Speaking of additional content... I saw somewhere screenies of weapon trail particle effects.  Are those implemented in the 3.6.8 ZETA/-710 mediavps in FS2?  I didn't see them in the FSPort....  If not... where do I get them?  XD  They look spiffy.

Offline ShivanSpS

That doesn't really fix anything though.  The name "intro" is hard-coded in the game to play at startup.  You change wouldn't fix that, only allow the correct intro to play through the techroom.  Plus, it makes a lot more sense to just rename the file than to edit the tbl. :)

But cant have 2 files which the same name in a single .vp and even if posible, how can be sure that the game will play the correct file? hahah -.-

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That's why you make two VPs, stick one in your FSPort directory, and throw the other with the MediaVPs.  Problem solved. :)