Author Topic: Game crashes in M6  (Read 21118 times)

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Debris slots? Could we be hitting a debris object count limit?

I don't think so. The assertion is what triggered the exception which has something to do with the sound code. I think that's been fixed in 1.02.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The default key bindings were changed based on player suggestions.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Gaiiden

still crashing consistently for me, although I have not noticed a specific point at which the crash occurs. I'm on to like my 12th crash so far. Sometimes the mission lets me play right up towards the end protecting the evac raptors but I usually end up dying by that point. So frustrating!

What do you need me to do reporting-wise?

Offline Swifty

We'll need you to run the Debug exe and play the mission until you get the crash to occur. When that happens, look for fs2_open.log in your data folder of where you installed the game and post the log here. That will tell us what location of the code the game is crashing on.

Offline Gaiiden

if you mean set the  FS2 Open Executable to the Debug version, then it crashes as soon as I click to enter the Briefing screen. I can't see the error window because my main display stays black until I bring up the task manager on one of my side displays and task-kill the pop up window with the information

and please tell me this verification step goes away after a few more posts...

Offline Swifty

The game is probably bugging you about there not being a 640x480 loading screen. You can ignore those by pressing "No".

When running Debug builds, it's probably best to run the game as a window instead of full screen so you won't get trapped when an error window pops up and have to dig yourself out using the Task Manager. You can go to Advanced Settings and check the "Run in Window" check box underneath the "Dev Tool" section.

Offline Gaiiden

Okay ran through the mission on debug and completed it (evac'd with Prometheus).

Go figure :P I've attached the log anyways. Won't be able to play again until next Tues

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The last bug only seems to be occurring in release builds. So running the debug build is a work-around (albeit a slow one).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline crizza

The default key bindings were changed based on player suggestions.
Uh, is there a way to get the old bindings? A simple textfile would suffice.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Here you go.

You could have just extracted the ControlConfigDefaults.tbl from the R1_Core.vp yourself, but I figured it was almost as quick to attach it. :)

Offline crizza

Thx man, I'm feeling kond if dumb right now^^
Do I past it just into the table folder?
Guess I although could just print it, run the game and do everything by hand :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Copy the file into your table folder. It might be smarter to install it as a mod though. Follow this post's suggestions.

Offline Brennus

• Urban Legend
I can also confirm, post v1.0.2 and w/ or w/o "old collision", M6 will CTD 100%.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"

Offline Madcat

I'm crashing too I'm afraid, probably for the same reason everyone else is. This last go it happened right after the first mention of the Raptors.

Windows 7
i5-2500k @ 3.30Ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 560 Ti

That's interesting... my system specs are pretty close, but I just completed M6 with Patch v.1.0.2 and new collision code enabled, no problems at all.

Windows 7
i5-3450k @ 3.10Ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 550 Ti

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Possibility of corrupted patch download?  IDK...  Anywho, post debug logs (how-to is in my sig).

1.02 and still randomly crashing

Offline Echelon9

1.02 and still randomly crashing

Due to this:

Code: [Select]
ASSERTION: "snd->info.n_channels == 1" at sound.cpp:666  Sound should be mono! Sound file: Engines_AB_Col_Viper_MK7.ogg
I'll leave it to one of the linux devs to comment, re OpenAL Soft.
Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenAL...
  OpenAL Vendor     : OpenAL Community
  OpenAL Renderer   : OpenAL Soft
  OpenAL Version    : 1.1 ALSOFT 1.14

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well - the sound in question *is* stereo, there's a comment in the code saying that by this stage is should be been converted to mono but I'm not familiar enough with the sound code to know where that's supposed to happen.  Given that it's the afterburner sound that triggered this, if it were a straight-forward bug you'd have expected it to trigger a lot more than just in M6.

As for OpenAL, I've mostly been using 1.13 and I'm not aware of any issues with 1.14.  Some of the error handling (or something similar) has changed between the versions though, I know that 1.14 logs some errors on start that I don't get with 1.13.

@sixsixfive - is OpenAL 1.13 available in the debian repos and would you be able to try using that instead of 1.14?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

@sixsixfive - is OpenAL 1.13 available in the debian repos and would you be able to try using that instead of 1.14?

no it's not and a system wide replace is not possible because other applications are build against 1.14 but I will try LD_PRELOAD / LD_LIBRARY_PATH anyway this error comes randomly so no guarantee

i am also crashing every single time

i5 2500k
12 gb 1333 mhz ram
2 x zotac 550 ti (1gb ram)
windows 7 home premium 64 b

i dont think its my low memory.

i will try collision detection.

does anyone have suggestions? how does debug mode work? dont really want to keep playing this over and over this one mission.

other than this great work guys! amazong mod. i have been waiting for a real BSG shooter game to come out and this is incredible. is there a donate option somewhere?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:17:59 am by joshtb86 »