Author Topic: Search German --> English Patch for FS2  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Keddy

Search German --> English Patch for FS2
Well I have the German version of Freespace 2 but i wanna play it in english.
Is there an english patch or somthing other?
Thx.
Well I don't know what do write in here...mmmhhhh....mmhhhhh....well....ach **** it

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Search German --> English Patch for FS2
1. Run my Installer, it'll replace your German voice files with the English ones.
2. Open regedit.exe, and change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Volition\FreeSpace2\Language to English.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Keddy

Ok thanks, I'll try....well that takes time but ok... ;)
Well I don't know what do write in here...mmmhhhh....mmhhhhh....well....ach **** it

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
aren't messages.tbl, debriefing.tbl and medals.tbl (or what is their name) involved too?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Let's make this easy--download the English ISOs?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
aren't messages.tbl, debriefing.tbl and medals.tbl (or what is their name) involved too?

Maybe, but they'll be updated too, by my Installer.

Let's make this easy--download the English ISOs?

That's just silly. Why should he bother downloading all of the game data again, when there's likely quite a lot of overlap between the German and English versions?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Well, I'm not sure of what is different--I would assume it could be everything with the file system, the voice-acting is definitely different, as are all missions. Tables could be different too... quite a lot could go on the list though I'll stop there.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The differences between German and English versions are this:
 - The binary is compiled differently (only affects retail though, FSO can deal with all of that stuff at runtime)
 - The font is different, the German contains the extra characters that the English version lacks
 - The voices are different

.. but that's about it.  The tbls and missions are the same (even the English version has German string translations), and as far as I know all other data is the same.

To convert to a full English version all you really need to do is: get a copy of the English font files (in root_fs2.vp), make sure that the registry doesn't specify German as the game language (it doesn't have to be English, just delete the the key and the game will use the default), copy over the English voices.