Author Topic: More speed than speed limit while turning (BtRL) ???  (Read 3580 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
More speed than speed limit while turning (BtRL) ???
I suppose this is not a bug but some kind of feature I didn't know about. I post it here rather than mantising.

Take a look at the screenshot. My ship speed limit is 200 but when I turn hard I reach 350. What's happening?

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: More speed than speed limit while turning (BtRL) ???
Momentum I guess...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
It's a side-effect of the high damp values. Combined with a timely use of Glide, you could do things like this:
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
It is really silly IMO, especially when watching someone else's ship do it in multiplayer.  I (and Turey :yes:) added an option that fixes this:
in ai_profiles.tbl, add to the end:
Code: [Select]
$use newtonian dampening:               YESThis only works on builds made after 2007.07.19
I'm hoping to convince the BtRL crew that this option is necessary ;)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Wasn't there a trick similar to this in Descent where you could go faster than your ships top speed? It was called Tri-vectoring or something?

Edit: Or maybe Tri-chording?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 06:01:34 pm by Flipside »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
It is really silly IMO, especially when watching someone else's ship do it in multiplayer.  I (and Turey :yes:) added an option that fixes this:
in ai_profiles.tbl, add to the end:
Code: [Select]
$use newtonian dampening:               YESThis only works on builds made after 2007.07.19
I'm hoping to convince the BtRL crew that this option is necessary ;)

Actually, with the changes to Glide, I don't see it as being needed for BtRL. The problem wasn't seeing them move at this speed while turning, but watching them use Glide to turn this sideways momentum into forward momentum. With the Glide speed cap, you can't do this, and you can still dodge the BtRL missiles (with this newtonian dampening, it slows you down while turning to the point where you can't dodge them anymore.)
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Well, I don't know if it has something to do with this, but enemy fighters (Cylons  or something like that ???) move extremely fast (turning) till you hit them the very first time, then they slow down quite a lot. At least for me it seems quite unrealistic...
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Edit: Or maybe Tri-chording?

:yes: ... hold down the slide in one direction whilst applying acceleration = 1337  :cool:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Is it the same code that causes this to happen in both FS2 and the Descents

Offline Topgun

Is it the same code that causes this to happen in both FS2 and the Descents
no. not really anyway.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
IDK, but there is some Descent code in FS.  *shrugs* not sure if any of it was left un-altered, though.