Author Topic: WxLauncher Ignores New Builds  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
WxLauncher Ignores New Builds
So you may have seen that I have been experiencing problems with CTDs in many campaigns, despite using what I believed to be the newest builds.  I say "I believed", since I was downloading the newest ones, extracting them into my freespace folder and selecting the last one seen in the launcher.  I wasn't however, comparing the filename of the one I just extracted to the latest one listed in the launcher.  Today however, I noticed that after extracting the latest build and opening the launcher, I see that there is nothing newer to select.  Upon comparing the latest listed build in the launcher to what I've got in the fs2 folder, I see that its not listing anything newer than April 1st.  I've even deleted every build prior to the 3.7.4 RC1, and it still won't show the newer builds.  I've tried updating the WxLauncher to 0.11.0 and it still ignores all new builds.  What could be causing this?  Could I simply run the exe directly and assume that all of my command lines options and other settings in the launcher will be activated as well?

Update:

Well, the good news is that as long as I have run a build through the launcher with the desired command line settings and mod selections, any exes run directly will retain these preferences.  Secondly, it seems that the post April 1st builds are having a better time with the CTD problem I'd been experiencing.  Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the fact that the launcher is ignoring new builds, which will make it difficult if there are any changes to command line options on newer builds.  A solution to this would still be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:56:33 pm by Trivial Psychic »
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: WxLauncher Ignores New Builds
Can you take a screenshot of your "FS2 Open executable" dropdown?

FYI, upon launching, wxLauncher writes the commandline options to the cmdline_fso.cfg file in your data folder. Any changes made to this file by hand won't be reflected by wxLauncher, but it can be manually edited.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Here's my launcher screen, and I also included a grab of my freespace2 folder.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Maybe I'm missing something but I can see the build labelled "4fa84ee" in your wxLauncher dropdown, and that build in the 2nd screenshot has a last updated date of 1st May?

There is an issue that the build ordering scheme doesn't currently fit in with the wxLauncher build sorting scheme, which makes it hard to see what builds are more recent... probably needs an update to wxLauncher to recognise that specific format and order by the date in the filename rather than the git hash (which by definition is not ordered in any way).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
[facepalm]
OK.  I guess I just assumed that the launcher would know that the newest one would be newer than the one at the bottom and tag it on there.  Is there any way to adjust the launcher or the build generator so that the launcher always aligns in the builds in order of date or build stepping, (3.7.4, 3.7.5, 3.7.6, etc.) and then by date within?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Don't worry, you're not the only person to have been caught out by this!!  :D

Yes, it should be possible to modify wxLauncher, it just needs someone to pick it up & do it.  I think the last time it was discussed it was decided that this was the best option, since the current build naming scheme means the builds auto-sort when displayed in explorer (which by default sorts alphanumerically on the filename).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
If nobody else gets around to it before me, I can try figuring out wxLauncher's build parsing (need to teach it about AVX builds anyway).

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thanks.  On the subject of the launcher, why did the "launch FRED" option get removed?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Thanks.  On the subject of the launcher, why did the "launch FRED" option get removed?
It's not removed; it's just hidden by default. Hit F3 and it should show up, IIRC.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
While I'll be a monkey's distant genetic cousin!  Thanks again!