Author Topic: FSO Installer consistently failing to download a few specific files  (Read 2117 times)

FSO Installer consistently failing to download a few specific files
In a fit of stupidity, I inadvertently deleted my FS2 Open install when I purged my GOG.com folder a few nights ago, so I've been trying to do a Complete install from the FS Open Installer. As the topic title mentions, however, there are a few specific files where it will always start them and then fail a few minutes later. Those files are:

* OGG Custscenes
* Derelict Voice Pack
* Inferno
* Shivans
* Shrouding the Light

Any idea why this might happen?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FSO Installer consistently failing to download a few specific files
The hosts are probably offline. Fortunately none of them are vital.

Offline would imply the downloads fail immediately, or at least without managing to download any data at all.  What I see instead is that they download a few tens of megabytes, then abruptly fail.  The point at which they fail varies; I've sometimes been able to get one completely installed by trying to install it alone, so that it downloads faster.

By passing FSO-I through a web proxy and looking at the logs, I noticed that all of the failing files are hosted on www.freespacemods.net.  Several other mods are hosted on fsport.freespacemods.net and are reliably downloadable.  Perhaps moving the failing mods to the more reliable server would be helpful here.

Another idea would be to enhance FSO-I to resume downloads that get interrupted mid-flow.  I would have a stab at that myself, but I can't figure out how to build a working installer from source using Eclipse; it can't seem to find its own internal config files.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You should be able to load the project by going to File -> Import, selecting General -> Existing Projects Into Workspace, then selecting the fsoinstaller directory and clicking Finish.  Alternatively, you can build it at the command-line using Ant.

I'll ping achtung to see if there are any known issues with freespacemods.net.

I'd already managed to import the project - it did that automatically when cloning the Git repo.  It just doesn't seem to make a complete build product.

I'll try using Ant directly instead, see if that works any better.

I have concluded that Eclipse is a big ball o' WTF.  So is Java as a whole, but you probably knew that already.

The Windows version of Eclipse apparently comes with a copy of Ant, which is not exposed for command-line use.  I did eventually manage to figure out how to trigger an Ant build from within Eclipse.  It then promptly complains that JAVA_HOME doesn't point at a JDK; its stated vale is pointing at a directory with "jre" in its name.  I eventually found where Eclipse has a setting for which JRE is active, and changed it to the JDK sitting right next to the JRE.  Ant then promptly complained that the JDK didn't contain some tools archive it needed.  Manually setting the JAVA_HOME environment variable did bugger-all.

My Mac doesn't have Ant installed for command-line use either.

My primary Linux box *does* have Ant installed in the normal way.  It - or the Java compiler, whichever - complained that the build was configured for too old a version of Java which was no longer supported.  I updated it to 1.8.  The build then succeeded.  But I have to say "ant jar" to make it actually build the jar that I'm familiar with seeing.

When actually running the installer on that same Linux box, I get the splash screen for a few seconds, then a *segfault*.  A segfault, in Java, which doesn't even use pointers.  WTF.  Oh wait, the error screed says the fault occurred in a section of C code "outside the VM".  Well that's all right then.  Not.  The official build triggers the same segfault, as it happens.

So I can run the installer on Windows, but I can only build it on Linux.  This is going to do wonders for my edit-compile-debug cycle latency.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
So I can run the installer on Windows, but I can only build it on Linux.  This is going to do wonders for my edit-compile-debug cycle latency.

:(  In case it helps, I can run the installer on Linux (Mint 17, yeah it's a bit old) & this is the JRE I'm using;

Code: [Select]
$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_111"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.7) (7u111-2.6.7-0ubuntu0.14.04.3)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.111-b01, mixed mode)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I'm using Mint 18.  Looks like the newer version of OpenJDK it carries is b0rked.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It is.  Another person on Linux ran into this problem on the Installer thread, starting at this post.

Chromatix, if you're on IRC this evening, I can help you get set up with your Windows configuration.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I guess you could also try installing the Oracle Java JRE on your Linux box? (lemme know if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs & I'll shaddup  ;))
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Nice one, Sméagol.

With Goober's help, I was able to build the installer on Windows today, so I have a basis for testing any improvements I come up with, without having to jump through all of the hoops.

I suppose I'd also like Java to actually work under Linux, but it's a problem I can come back to later, as it's no longer urgent.