Author Topic: How do I figure out what's eating my framerate?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline eicca

How do I figure out what's eating my framerate?
Running 3.7.4 official on OSX 10.12.2, MacBook Pro 13" 2011 model. Using MediaVPs 2014, currently playing retail FS2 campaign.

Sometimes my computer drops to 5fps when a Sathanas model is rendered, in game or in tech room. Sometimes it runs it just fine. It's never consistent. I've stripped down the effects to mostly basic stuff, but like I said, sometimes it runs just fine.

How can I go about figuring out what's killing my FPS?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: How do I figure out what's eating my framerate?
I'd hazard a guess that the fact you're playing on a 13" Macbook is what's killing your FPS.  I sincerely doubt that thing has any sort of dedicated video card.  Exactly which graphical features have you disabled at this point?

Offline eicca

I'd hazard a guess that the fact you're playing on a 13" Macbook is what's killing your FPS.  I sincerely doubt that thing has any sort of dedicated video card.  Exactly which graphical features have you disabled at this point?

I've disabled differed lighting, framebuffer shockwaves, post processing, soft particles, anti-aliasing, glow maps, missile lighting and shadows. Like I said, some of the time it runs great. Some of the time, completely randomly, it runs terrible. Doesn't seem to be related to background processes.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
I'd wager that your entire system is going to have performance issues here and there depending on the mod you're playing. The original FS2 campaign was designed for old systems, so it shouldn't suffer too much there. Mods from recent times have taken advantage of modern hardware to abuse the hardcoded limits of the game, having battlefields with tons of weapons and ships flying around (beams are a BIG offender in terms of performance). There's not much you can really do to fix performance unless you were to upgrade to hardware with much greater performance limits.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

I've disabled differed lighting, framebuffer shockwaves, post processing, soft particles, anti-aliasing, glow maps, missile lighting and shadows.
Have you tried -no_glsl?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Try tracking how much video memory you're using through something like RTSS and MSI Afterburner. I'd wager if you're getting massive slowdowns when a YUEG ship like the Sath is rendered it's probably because you're running out of VRAM.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

I've disabled differed lighting, framebuffer shockwaves, post processing, soft particles, anti-aliasing, glow maps, missile lighting and shadows.
Have you tried -no_glsl?

This.  You're probably on an Intel integrated card.  Which uses available normal RAM as video RAM (much slower than real VRAM, btw).

Offline eicca

Sounds like it could be RAM issues then, if it's intermittent.