Author Topic: FSO + 4K + display scaling = FPS weirdness  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Delta_V

FSO + 4K + display scaling = FPS weirdness
Ok, so I'm trying to get FSO running on my laptop with the following specs: i7-4710HQ, GeForce 970M, 16GB RAM, and 4K display.  I've got everything installed and "running", but I'm struggling to get to the "running well" stage.  This was all done with FSO 3.8, and the newest wxlauncher.

First, I try and fire it up in 3840x2160, with settings basically maxxed out, just to see what happens.  I used Blue Planet's The Blade Itself for testing, as it is a fairly demanding mission, and I wanted somewhat of a "worst case" scenario.  Running FSO in 4K, I could only get ~20 fps in this mission.  Not surprising, the 970M was never really cut out for gaming in 4K.  Now the weirdness starts.

So I switch FSO to 1920x1080 with max settings.  An i7-4710HQ and 970M should be able to crush this game running at 1080p, and sure enough, the frame rate jumps to 80-90 fps, even in a demanding mission like The Blade Itself.  There's just one problem - the game is only displaying in 1/4 of my screen.  I figure display scaling (I had been running at 225% scaling) might be messing with things.

Thus, I drop scaling to 100%, restart my computer, and try again.  This time, the game takes up the full screen, but I am back down to 20 fps.  This is weird, so I take a screenshot, and sure enough, the game is still rendering in 1920x1080.  Why on earth am I getting the same framerates as when it was running 3840x2160?

Next, I tried manually reducing my display resolution to 1920x1080 and leaving scaling at 100%.  Same thing.  Game takes up full screen, and is rendered at 1920x1080, but I'm only getting 20 fps.

Why do I get good framerates when the game is only displayed on 1/4 of the screen, but awful framerates when it is displayed in full screen, even though it is rendering at the same resolution?  It doesn't make sense, but I'm out of ideas, and any help would be appreciated.

I also ran a debug build @ 1920x1080 with my display set to 3840x2160 & 100% scaling, and the results are attached.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Re: FSO + 4K + display scaling = FPS weirdness
It looks like DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) is enabled. :nervous:
If so, disable it in nvidia control panel.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If that's the case, then it's weird -- FSO reports a render resolution of 1920x1080 in use; As far as FSO can tell, that's what it's running at internally.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Delta_V

It looks like DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) is enabled. :nervous:
If so, disable it in nvidia control panel.

I've attached a screenshot of my NVidia control panel.  It doesn't have an option for dsr, and I can't find it in GeForce experience, either.

Random note, should GeForce experience detect FS2 Open as a game? Tried pointing it at my FS2 folder for ****s'n'giggles, and it came up empty.  It definitely uses the 970M when launched, though.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Delta_V

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to give an update on this issue.

I had given up on getting FSO to run on my laptop, and got busy IRL anyway, so I didn't touch it for a few weeks.  Yesterday, I was bored, and figured "what the hell, I'll see what happens", so I set my screen to 1920x1080, fired up FSO, and... it works.  1920x1080 with great FPS.  Just like that. No problems whatsoever.

Which is great and all, but... what the hell?  I CHANGED NOTHING. Followed the exact same steps and used the same settings as I did when I was getting terrible framerates - same screen resolution, same screen scaling, same game resolution, same launcher, same FSO version, same settings *in* the launcher... and yet my FPS is quadrupled.

The performance I'm getting now makes sense with my hardware - it was always the low framerates I was getting before that were weird.  But was is even stranger than the issues I was having is that I have absolutely no explanation for why it changed.

So yeah, the issue is resolved.  Well, not "is resolved" so much as "mysteriously disappeared with no explanation as to why or how", but at any rate, it's gone.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Maybe the driver updated?  :nervous:

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Code Gremlin decided to haunt another computer.... Congrats!   :D :yes:

Offline Delta_V

Maybe the driver updated?  :nervous:

See, that's the thing. I'm currently living in the country, where my only internet is through my phone, unless I go to the library in the nearest town. So no driver updates for me.  Like I said, NOTHING CHANGED :P

Normally, I am quite good at diagnosing computer issues, but I have absolutely no explanation here.