Author Topic: BP AoA Combat video  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Avatar

• Beet Taster
Threw together a little somethin-somethin because I just freaking LOVE blue planet and thought I'd share it with you guys. I know I fly like a drunken bear and it's probably quite obvious that its my first video, but it might be fun.

Additional information: So, when I like something I tweak it. I arranged suitably dramatic selections of  curse of prescience, forced entry, and universal truth. And a little preserving balance. As a homeworld fan I tend to focus more on big ship combat, so when I played with the tables it was oriented towards making the big ships a bit more exciting.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:05:07 am by Avatar »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Nice video, but I'm seeing some irregularities.

In 2:36 - 2:45 you can see plenty of blue pulses with long trails. From their origin, I'd say those are TerPulses. However, TerPulses do not have trails at all.

In 3:47 - 3:51 you can see a lot of smaller blue pulses, I'd figure those are STerPulses. Their rate of fire seems to be much faster than they should be, even with 3612 AI mod.

In 3:44 you can see a hull piercing effect. However, BP does not use this explosion as piercing effect.

Seems like you've done quite a bit of tweaking, can't say I really like those changes myself.

He stated in his post he altered the tables, so don't be surprised if his BP is different from the official BP.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
oh **** wtf

That was amazing. Now, I'm with you - I view warship setpieces as basically the coolest part of FS - but even though the BP warships are pretty uber, I don't remember them being that beastly. You must've done some modding of your own, and (rather contrary to Fury  :p) I think it's gorgeous. Probably wrecks mission balance, but what the hell, it's awesome.

Because holy crap that was some amazing firepower. (I especially liked the boosted Shivan weapons, like the missile turrets on the Cain.) You also look like you upped turret fire rate and made a lot of them burst weapons using that 3.6.11 flag, which is intensely sexy.

I am impressed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:51:46 am by General Battuta »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You almost sound like you haven't played BP2, which is ironic.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, I was going to mention that I thought he'd like UEF ships.

Offline Qent

I really like those pulse trails. :yes:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:30:31 pm by Qent »

Offline Avatar

• Beet Taster
Yeah, heh, I wanted to give the GTVA ships the same level of sexy firepower as the UEF ships from the trailers. I actually looked up how to make the trails from the karuna's weapon files and started messing with it to make it shorter and more distinguishable. It's just too nice an effect to pass up! It also helped differentiate them from the swarms of terran turret 2 pulses. Fury's right, actually, I made a few table tweaks in between recording sessions. On one of them I accidentally turned the trails off of the terpulses. Yeah, from 1:30 to 2:00ish. Wasn't bad looking at all, actually. Might experiment with a much longer, thinner, and fainter trail.

I think total rate of fire is down on the big pulse turrets actually, they fire two shots over one and a half seconds and wait about two or three more before going again as opposed to the one second or half second reload time they used to have. The smaller pulse guns I need to double check, but I can get back to you on the numbers. Yeah, old sterpulse = 3 shots/sec, mine is 2 shots/1.5 sec. The effect is just way easier to see.

I can't speak to the hull piercing effect actually. No idea how that happened. Maybe that's the flak hull piercing effect? I ... believe it has one. I didn't mess with that, I just thought it was pretty neat.

It's actually a whole lot harder now, with the exception of universal truth, though I lost that twice while recording. Shivan bombs lock on and reload considerably faster, so when bombers (fff nahemas) slip through the rain of fire and start homeworld sliding all over the place they can really ruin someone's day. If you watch the universal truth segments I put up around 5 mins in, I think you can see in one of 'em I was about to lose the temeraire. Terran Turret 2 now does only a quarter damage to shields, so those rapid fire cannon need to score a very very large number of hits before they can actually kill something. Note at ~3:30 a nahema flying right through about a hundred direct hits with only a moderately damaged forward shield quarter. Then I shot its shields off with balors.

Then those PD guns will kill people quickly. The big pulse guns also excel at stripping shields, but they're rather more dodgable. Even more amusingly, the most badass shipkilling bombers of yore, the nephilim and the seraphim, are too big to really dodge that well and so the defenses do represent an improvement on GTVA shipbuilders part towards competency. Of course, Nahemas are fast and not as big, so a few tend to slip through. I actually thought about making it the other way around, where the rapid fire guns rocked at shields but bounced off of armor, but that didn't seem fair to the shield-heavy shivans.

The burst flag didn't work, actually, or I was doing it wrong. That's all swarm and swarm wait.

Speaking of boosted shivan weapons, yeah, it's no longer possible to loiter around shivan capital ships for extended periods of time (with some exceptions). Their point defense guns don't DPS quite as hard as GTVA ones do, but they're nothing to sneeze at. I also put the cycle flag on the shivan and vishnan guns, cause in the freakin' fs2 opener the manticore has cycling lasers and I like that effect. What else... the shivans have a big pulse gun of their own now, you can see at the very end its blasts trailing off into the distance behind the Laraje. And yeah, Cains now feature a large array of antifighter weaponry, Liliths a balance of missiles and anticapitalship beams, and the Rakshasa is a four pack of SReds with some point defense. Lilith is general purpose (and, well, the Lilith and thus the best), the Rakshasa is for shock jumping, and the Cain is for sitting around grinning and wasting everyone's time like an idiot.

Like I said, there's only a few missions where the changes got dramatic - Fallen Angel is rather a lot tougher with the lucifer blowing arbiters away in single shots, though I swapped all of its blob turrets for SAAA and proceeded to be rather... disappointed... with its performance. They have ****ty arcs, and its missile turrets practically never fire. The hard part about Fallen Angel is that your allies will burn the Lucifer down to 15% health rather quickly, even after I nerfed their beams somewhat. Preserving the Balance has some... hecticness; I swapped out a few blob turrets on the nose of the Demon out for some beefed up SReds (I imaginatively named them MRed), so if the Temeraire is going down too quickly you can lop those off. Also, the Ravana's point defense DOES work rather admirably. Universal Truth is honestly the battle of endor at this point. The contribution of the random number generator now exceeds the contribution of the player, but it's all worth it for the eyecandy. Oh, and Curse of Prescience should last a little longer. It's my favorite level, so I might have reduced the lucifer's forward firepower and massively improved its broadside firepower, so it has to pull significantly closer before it can dole out the harshness.

EDIT: A really easy way to make everything exactly the same as it was would be to put the "huge" flag on terpulse and sterpulse, meaning those .25 damage vs. shields gatling guns would have a lot harder time knocking down the bombers on their way in and putting more emphasis on the player. I may have to try that out, even though it goes against the fluff. Too bad there isn't a way to increase bomb hit points or introduce random aiming error into a blob weapon...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:32:03 pm by Avatar »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Too bad there isn't a way to increase bomb hit points or introduce random aiming error into a blob weapon...

You can actually do both of those. And I believe the pulse weapons already have some random aiming error by use of the $fof flag.

Offline Avatar

• Beet Taster
...awesome, so you can. Thanks!

Been playing around a bit more, toned down the trails on the capital pulse cannon turrets as well as reducing both velocity and rate of fire on the point defense gun. I messed with keeping the DPS of all altered turrets the same and only messing with FOF, rate of fire, and velocity but that actually really messed balance up.

Short version: Terpulse is INSANELY good against fighters.
Long version: I switched from 175 damage/.5 seconds to 875/2.5 seconds. Didn't alter velocity, or FOF, didn't alter range. Six otherwise unengaged Nahemas didn't make it to bomb range attacking the top of the Orestes. Ended up doubling the FOF to compensate for their crazy power.

I've been playing with some blobitized shivan flak-type weaponry, including a sort of blob hose that fills a wide arc with very low damage energy blasts. I'll probably give them high knock to compensate.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The TerPulse is indeed fooking awesome.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
1:41 was magnificent. Perseus flying past you going ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA... ;)

Your tweaks remind me strongly of PI, a mod where blob turrets are almost as bad as AAAs.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
1:41 was magnificent. Perseus flying past you going ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA... ;)

Your tweaks remind me strongly of PI, a mod where blob turrets are almost as bad as AAAs.

I love PI's blob turrets.  :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The PI blob turrets are actually much less deadly than BP pulse weapons even un-tweaked.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Still, PI managed to make blobs feel dangerous.  Points for that.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Looks very cool but frankly I highly prefer gameplay videos where I can actually hear what's going on.

Offline Avatar

• Beet Taster
oh heh heh I have a headset instead of speakers... camstudio can't distinguish between audio in and mic in on it so "what's going on" was mostly me clicking my mouse frantically and mumbling, "man where's my interface at" and "damn I suck at driving" :D. Sorry, zookeeper... that's another bug that needs to be ironed out.

In terms of blob turret dangerosity; I decided to make a strafing run on the GTC Duke's engine and fly past the hull at close range. Bad freaking plan. STerPulse plus a whole bunch of Terran Turret 2 knocked me down to 14% health pretty quick, and all the manticores or dragons or whatnot (oh my!) didn't help.

Not sure I feel about the TerPulse deadliness, actually. Kinda wish I could make the turrets slew all slow-like, so that while it -is- indeed insanely stupid to park your fighter in front of a 10m wide barrel gun or whatnot, they're not office-building sized antiaircraft cannon.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Remember, though, that the StratComm ships don't mount flak by default, so those pulse turrets really need to take up slack.

They're fluffed as something new and awesome and need to act the part.

Offline Avatar

• Beet Taster
Well I mean I was also planning on giving that 875 damage death-blast an area of effect. It IS a battleship cannon, and the 1.2 km/sec velocity definately means they can hit fighters along their line of sight. Just wanted to make getting  fighters on their line of sight a LITTLE harder, as befits such a colossal weapon. Though... now that I think about it, that will lead to them comically chasing after teeny fighters while a much tastier target was far enough away to engage effectively. Maybe not :/

Offline Qent

I think that's possible.... Turret Optimum Range, Turret Direction Preference, Target Priority, and the "fire on target" flag all look promising.

How does Target Priority work?