Author Topic: Mass Effect 3: You Invaded the Wong Planet [SPOILERS]  (Read 73285 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: Mass Effect 3: You Invaded the Wong Planet [SPOILERS]
Yeah, the game is good up until the last ten minutes. If you can deal with making up your own ending, I'd still suggest getting it.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wow. Talk about cashing it in. And to think, I used to be excited about this game. Oh well. I've got plenty to play already. So sad to see BioWare go the same way as all the other devs who have been swallowed up by EA and run into the ground. Ah BioWare, we hardly knew ya.

Of course, it's just opinion, but this sounds so ridiculous that I'm not buying it. Or using any other means to acquire it.

The game is fantastic until - yeah, the last ten minutes. It's almost a perfect conclusion to the series as long as you turn it off at the right moment.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So many fanfics of the last ten minutes are coming.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Spoiler:
I just wanted to go back to having a multi-species cooperative galactic civilization :-(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW954nbcLe8
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Finished ME3 yesterday. Spoilers following.
Spoiler:
The hell is with the crappy journal? It never changes to reflect current state of a mission, like when you've acquired the item the mission needs. Certainly, this wasn't much of an issue since people you need to find are all in the Citadel and any items you miss out on can be acquired from the Spectre console. The security checkpoint before war room slows player down so much it's annoying. Fuel. It's next to pointless in ME3 and now there are even fewer fuel depots than there were in ME2. It's just silly because in ME3 there's not much exploration unless you really want to go out of your way to ping every corner of the galaxy. And in the process gain reaper presence, ugh.

As a sequel to ME2, I think ME3 is pretty good game overall. However, on it's own it wouldn't be nowhere as good as ME1 or ME2. The game was completely designed around not having much of any focus on side-missions, you pretty much go to a planet, ping, launch probe, collect. These side missions feel so pointless that I would have preferred they would have been cut out completely, and instead picked a few of them and made them into part of the main missions like Cerberus missions. That would have brought more variety to missions. The game is much more focused on the main mission than any other Bioware game I've played to date. It works for a sequel and final game of the ME trilogy, so it's not much of a handicap. Those who haven't played ME1 and ME2 would probably find this game rather shallow.

I wish they'd have brought out back the level of customization we had in ME1, but this is better than ME2 at least. You really had a lot of choices for your armor, weapons and mods back in ME1. As far as weapon mods in ME3 go, it seems that getting scope and longer barrel is a no brainer. I wondered about the anti-armor mod though, but it seemed to lower base damage too much for my liking. Also, weapon upgrades. I honestly couldn't tell a difference between I and V level Mattock except for how much ammo it could have. I wonder how significant these weapon upgrades were supposed to be. In ME1 though, armor and weapon upgrades could make your team so strong missions became pretty much a cakewalk.

There's not really that much to spend money on, unless you want to get those Spectre weapons. But IMO they're worse than what you get in missions anyway, so what's the point. I think I only bought two armor pieces to maximize my weapon damage, which I think topped out at +50% and weapon upgrades for the weapons I thought were the best in their class. SMG's seemed totally worthless though, even compared to pistols. As for me, Mattock and Widow ftw.

And now the ending. When you confront IM, the last dialogue option gives you paragon/renegade options, but they're both grayed out for me. Even though I SHOULD have maxed out paragon as I completed every mission I found. What the heck is with that? Failing the dialogue check, your only option is to go renegade and shoot IM, there is no paragon option after dialogue. From what I understood, apparently destroying reapers also means destroying the geth, relays and most of technology which would kill a lot of people whose live literally depends on technology. This option is so silly that it's not even an option. Now, who the hell wants to merge organics and synthetics just like that, it's way too abrupt a change to force on everyone. Which leaves the third option, controlling the Reapers. Now, this option apparently saves the geth, relays and tech, so it's the only sensible option out of the three. Especially after it was confirmed Shepard IS able to control the Reapers, unlike IM. But then, what the **** is with the Normandy cutscene, it makes no bloody sense whatsoever. And after credits, what planet is that supposed to be?

Aside of super silly ending options and the even sillier Normandy cutscene at the end, ME3 is a good game if you treat it as a sequel to ME2, which you should. But goddamn it, the ending bugs me SO much. Even more than the silly plot device where you so conveniently find a lead to destroy Reapers right after they attack Earth. As stand-alone games ME1 and ME2 are better than ME3. Don't get me wrong, ME3 has solid improvements in key areas of gameplay, but the complete package leaves something to be desired. ME2 had a ****ty ending with that human reaper and all, but I think ME2 had less faults than ME3 does. But I think ME1 had even less faults than ME2 did, ME1's biggest issue was the inventory system, but other than that it was pretty damn solid, including a good ending.

I could have forgiven a lot of things in ME3, but come on was it really too much to ask to have an ending we could be satisfied with? It just leaves a sour aftertaste. Is ME3 worth buying? Hell yes if you've got ME1 and ME2 and liked them.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:58:24 am by Fury »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You really are grasping at straws to stick to your opinion that this game is bad, aren't you? I mean, nearly every single point you have raised in the previous thread as being a bad decision turns out to be actually well-executed in the actual game, or at least that's the opinion of people who have actually played it (and who are not on BSN).

Or at least that's your opinion.
If you truly like it, more power to you.

But it's not just his opinion, it's the opinion of virtually everyone who has played the game. I see no-one complaining about the omniblade other than you when you haven't even played the game yet. Hell, I was skeptic of it at first, thought it was too "cawl of dooty/gears of war" style, but it's actually fun. If you still don't like it, just tap F instead of holding it down and do a normal melee hit.  :rolleyes:

"Virtually everyone" my ass. There was a lot of complaining about it and there still is.

And the writing is so ham-fisted, I cannot even grasp how anyone can call it "great". I've seen better fanfiction out there.
Arguments ad populum are irrelevant anyway.

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yes, so have I.  Then again, some fanfictions are pretty ****ing awesome, so I (deliberately) fail to see your (poorly worded) complaint.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Spoiler:
And now the ending. When you confront IM, the last dialogue option gives you paragon/renegade options, but they're both grayed out for me. Even though I SHOULD have maxed out paragon as I completed every mission I found. What the heck is with that? Failing the dialogue check, your only option is to go renegade and shoot IM, there is no paragon option after dialogue.
Spoiler:
I had enough paragon to convince him he was indoctrinated. He suicides himself à la Saren. Quite lacking in creativity if you ask me.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ending spoiler for Fury:

Spoiler:
You can only persuade the Illusive Man if you've attempted to persuade him in every previous encounter, and there's a dialogue on Mars, early in the game, when you have to take one of the left-side conversation options to unlock the persuade.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYgr1rqEec

A somewhat reasonable video explaining the endings as attempted indoctrination. It sort of makes sense, considering how absolutely absurd the ending elements are, or maybe I'm just desperately reaching to for some sort of hope that BioWare didn't troll us.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken