Author Topic: Mass Effect 3: You Invaded the Wong Planet [SPOILERS]  (Read 73341 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Mass Effect 3: You Invaded the Wong Planet [SPOILERS]
25 hours in and this game is...actually impressing me quite a lot. the sense of scale both in terms of the physical gameplay space and the narrative is really well done.

That can't possibly be true. I mean, according to BSN the game is worse than DA2. You most be a biodrone forssurrr

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i have to agree with battman, the game is really well done so far.
Except for that snooki-like reporter on the citadel.

Spoiler:
CERBERUS MUST DIE! CERBERUS MUST DIE! CERBERUS MUST DIE! CERBERUS MUST DIE!
If you dont get it, you will. Soon enough anyhow.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
The metacritic reviews are amusing to peruse.

In order of frequency, here are the different review scores:
1. 10/10
2. 0/10
3. 2/10
4. 1/10
5. everything else

Some of those 0s cite the gay scenes, the endings, "THE WRITING!!!!", Origin, the day-1 DLC, etc. as reason to award a 0.  Some even admit to pirating the game and still award it a 0.  Honestly, even if the story ended up being horrible 0/10 by visual novel standards, it would still get a 5/10 for the multiplayer and gameplay alone.

Metacritic bombing over non-game issues is nothing new, and Bioware really hasn't don't themselves any favors whatsoever in that department.

I'm holding off on judgement on the plot, but so far it is not looking good.  The core gameplay is much improved (though **** you Alliance for taking all my weapons and armor and then making me buy new ones.)  While you're shooting things at least - the side quests have plenty of issues.

Multiplayer is still fun, if now stupidly imbalanced between enemy factions.  Quarian Infiltrators are basically "I win" vs the Geth on gold, and the reaper faction is vastly more dangerous then the other two for the same rewards.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This is one of those games where you're just going to have to grin and bear the Reapers' utter failure to use their tactical capabilities. Really any time you're sharing a horizon with a Reaper you should be dead, lasered through the face by one of the hull weapons (never mind the main ship-to-ship guns). but hey whatever
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:17:42 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
This is one of those games where you're just going to have to grin and bear the Reapers' utter failure to use their tactical capabilities. Really any time you're sharing a horizon with a Reaper you should be dead. but hey whatever

Oddly enough
Spoiler:
EDI lampshades this by wondering why the Reapers seem to be holding back their forces during the final assault.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The metacritic reviews are amusing to peruse.

In order of frequency, here are the different review scores:
1. 10/10
2. 0/10
3. 2/10
4. 1/10
5. everything else

Some of those 0s cite the gay scenes, the endings, "THE WRITING!!!!", Origin, the day-1 DLC, etc. as reason to award a 0.  Some even admit to pirating the game and still award it a 0.  Honestly, even if the story ended up being horrible 0/10 by visual novel standards, it would still get a 5/10 for the multiplayer and gameplay alone.

Extremists are always morons. The game pisses me off to no neds, and I still wouldn't dream of giving it such a redicolously low score. At the very WORST it deserves an average score. But I'd never give it a 10/10 or 9/10. Doesnt' deserve that either.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

This is one of those games where you're just going to have to grin and bear the Reapers' utter failure to use their tactical capabilities. Really any time you're sharing a horizon with a Reaper you should be dead, lasered through the face by one of the hull weapons (never mind the main ship-to-ship guns). but hey whatever

As far as I can tell, the whole plot is an exercise in passing around the idiot ball.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Well, it's a far more competent effort than Dragon Age II by far.

Really I have only three complaints the first is:

Interviews said that multiplayer wasn't going to be mandatory for getting the best endings in singleplayer. However, the only way to increase galactic readiness is to play multi otherwise war assets are at half strength. The best endings require a war asset rating around 5,000 or so and the cap seems to be around 6,000 so... you can do the math.

The other two issues are SPOILERIFIC:

Spoiler:
Kai Leng. I'm probably a bit poisoned to the character because of hearing how bad the novels with him in it are. But it seems like a case where the writers and artists are trying too hard to make him some sort of badass. He would have been better if introduced in ME2 as someone shadowing you for the Illusive Man.

My main issue with him is on Thessia where it's supposed to be this massive defeat but it's really just him and a gunship and other than act of plot I would have had him. If say he planted explosives throughout the whole building and it came down on you during the fight while the gunship was doing a strike it would have seemed like less of a chump thing. They needed to establish better that yes, he had total control of the situation and you were completely screwed.

The second major issue with the plot:
Spoiler:
The damn kid! I was fine with the cheap shot emotional death. But the dream sequences just took you out of the game. Shepard turning in bed hearing their voices would have done the same thing without trying to seem "artsy" and cheap at the same time.

But the nail in the coffin was having the Catalyst look like the damn kid. I'd have been happier if, in fact, it was a conversation with Harbinger affected by the Crucible. It'd also have been nice to see them using it as a relay from darkspace, summoning the rest of the Reapers to Earth and hammering home that this really was the last chance to stop them. Having a Reaper controller AI on the citadel just seems like it introduces too many questions that they don't answer unlike vigil. It still could have been handled fine, but just about any representation other than the kid as "your collected guilt" would have been better.
This seems like Square-Enix crap.

Okay I lied, one other big issue bugging me:
Spoiler:
The Normandy crash landing thing also made no sense. Unless the Crucible is damaged and going to blow Earth up why the hell would Joker FTL? If Shepard got a comm through to him that firing it might hurt EDI I could see Joker going rogue, taking the ship out of the battle and trying to run away irrationally. A line or two of dialog after Shep's decision could have covered this. As it is, it felt like the ending of Knights of the Old Republic II.

It feels like the Normandy re-seeding humanity was supposed to be for the worst possible ending, and proper "Shepard's burial on Earth" and "Shepard's funeral on Earth and oh wait here s/he comes!" endings were supposed to be made but left out.

Honestly my main plot complaints are the Square-Enix crap
Spoiler:
Kai Leng trying to be badass
and
Spoiler:
the kid as the personification of Shepard's guilt
. Overall though it wasn't as intrusive as the nonsensical fights in Deus Ex: Human Revolution or its nonsensical end fight.

I do have a few intellectual issues with some directions the new writers took though:
Spoiler:
Basically individualistic AIs being viewed as inherently superior with the Geth being re-written to be like EDI. The most interesting thing about the Geth was how they were totally different cognitively but could still be reasoned with. The way the writers treated AI left a bad taste in my mouth, especially as a Shepard hell-bent on preserving *ALL* sapience. There should have been more of a moral dilemma around letting Legion re-write the Geth to his template based on "doesn't this go against your own ability to determine your path as an overall species that you originally planned?" Which is also why the 'renegade' ending seemed like the only proper moral option.

So, one bad design decision. One WTF? thing, but overall my complaints are more issues of some of the directions they went with some things which are utterly balanced out by:
Spoiler:
Tuchanka and Rannoch pure awesomeness
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:35:00 pm by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Extremists are always morons.
FDAA warning

this post contains nearly the lethal dose of irony
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I'm abut fourteen hours in, and I'm mildly impressed. Lots were chalking it up to be ****, but I'm really enjoying gameplay, and the narrative is sucking me in a bit too.

I just wish I hadn't used the wrong save to start.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Interviews said that multiplayer wasn't going to be mandatory for getting the best endings in singleplayer. However, the only way to increase galactic readiness is to play multi otherwise war assets are at half strength. The best endings require a war asset rating around 5,000 or so and the cap seems to be around 6,000 so... you can do the math.

Tell me you're lying. The odds are I won't be doing multi; I'd have to get gold for my hexbox again (don't look at me like that, it's where my previous saves are) and this will suck.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'd have to get gold for my hexbox again (don't look at me like that, it's where my previous saves are).
Try to look on the internet about ways to convert XBox saves to PC. I heard it was possible.

You could still make a ME2 save from scratch with a save editor of course. Works just as well.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras