Author Topic: Question regarding object mass, density and collission damage  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Question regarding object mass, density and collission damage
Hey there,

could someone please give me some insight into the combination of these three values ? There are currently a few unwanted combinations in our data.

a) Nearly no collision damage
b) A fighter coliding with a capitalship can push it away a few meters

I don't know why I started that once, but I edited the mass that PCS has been calculated. Currently I have

fighters with 5000 to 15000
transports and small cap around 100.000 to 200.000
destroyers  300.000 to 400.000
cruisers 500.000 to 600.000   (in the WC-Universe cruisers are bigger than destroyers)
carriers 700.000 to 900.000

What I want to have it the following :

a) Fighers and small explosions shouldn't be able to push away bigger ships
b) Some collisions should be deadly for the player. Crashing into a capship or an asteroid with more than 50% speed should be killing the player
c) collision for the player with less than 50% speed should at least damage the player really hard.
d) fighter collision between Player and AI should at least deal more damage to the player
e) AI-Fighters should not be destroyed by those collisions with capships(since the AI is so dump and collides all the way)

Can someone give me a few hints here ? Thanks :)

Starman
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 04:09:28 pm by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Question regarding object mass, density and collission damage
Regarding explosions and impacts pushing cap-ships, that may be less of an issue with mass, and more of an issue with Moment Of Inertia, or MOI for short.  You can't edit MOI in PCS, but you can edit it in MODview.  In the same tab that displays the mass and eyepoint, theres a button called "moment of intertia".  Selecting that will bring up a box with spaces for 9 figures.  Setting all of these to "0" will prevent any odd spinning out.  Some moders however, prefur to import MOI data from existing Freespace ships to retain a certain degree of whack-ability to all craft (fighters especially), and since FS ship models are tried and true, they can be relied on.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Worth a try, but this pushing can also be related with the object mass and the explosion blast. What about the rest, can anyone help me with that ? :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Question regarding object mass, density and co
MOI settings are somewhat of a black and arcane art, sadly.  I don't think anyone has ever figured out where the values come from, beyond IIRC being related to tensors or something.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
A couple of people have come up with the formula for it actually, the trouble is that calculating it requires an algorithm that no one's quite sure how to impliment.  Why it's not just done on the global bounding box beats me, since that's where I'd think it would be easiest and least likely to royally break anything, but then I'm not writing the max exporter or PCS.  And it's sure not something you want to figure by hand.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
A couple of people have come up with the formula for it actually, the trouble is that calculating it requires an algorithm that no one's quite sure how to impliment.  Why it's not just done on the global bounding box beats me, since that's where I'd think it would be easiest and least likely to royally break anything, but then I'm not writing the max exporter or PCS.  And it's sure not something you want to figure by hand.

Define algorithm - surely if there's some sums on paper we can at the very least work up a crude app to calculate it 'manually' outside of conversion.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Something like the stuff found from this thread? Seems like Bobboau knows (or atleast knew) something about these...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Something like the stuff found from this thread? Seems like Bobboau knows (or atleast knew) something about these...

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmm.

Hmm.

Mmmm....

Hmm.

Bugger.  That.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well CP is back now. Let him have a go at it :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well CP is back now. Let him have a go at it :)

He'd probably find a way to make it more complicated.

:D

Offline BES

WOW that was some stuff that just stunned me, I got a D in math,but it seems to me that the fighters mass is set too high if they collide with a larger ship it will move them,even changing a rockeye missiles mass to 15000 will move a very large ship a few feet, so I dont think its that complicated.

on the fighters should blow up on impact with a bigger ship, I thought that had to do with the fighters hull strength,speed,mass..mybe there is a way to alter the ships repair speed so it will lose subsystems when colliding with an astroid etc.

fighter vs fighter collision damage depends on fighter speed,mass,hull strength, etc

another AI could be made that could tell enemy ships to not collide all the way as you put it

(I like python scripts, the math isnt as complicated when it comes to collisions etc, mybe some sort of python script plug-in could be made to fix the collision thing)<---not an expert in that area but I think it may be easier..

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I have read somewhere that $density is related to the collission damage, but I forget where and can't find it anywhere
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
(I like python scripts, the math isnt as complicated when it comes to collisions etc, mybe some sort of python script plug-in could be made to fix the collision thing)<---not an expert in that area but I think it may be easier..

You should learn Lua then and script it for us :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It would probably be possible (and the math much less nasty) to calculate MOI off of the bounding boxes rather than the individual polygons.  Maybe not the master bounding box, but whatever the proper term is for those green things that show up in PCS when you turn on "bounding box debug".  As long as the ship is of uniform density, it seems like those should give a rough approximation of shape.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM