Author Topic: Questions about mods  (Read 3253 times)

Vincenta196

Questions about mods
I see that most of you guys here have either played some mods or 2 or have created your own. All the pics I have seen on these forums look cool, and all I can think of is making one (mainly to severly transform my campaign). I just want to ask, how do you make a mod? I have 3D studio max, as well as photoshop and Maya 3.0, and was told (by Thunder on my first post) that I can convert models from 3DSM. Anything else I need to know, like the weopons and whatnot?

------------------
"Casualties many: percent dead not known: we are winning." - PFC Raynold's response to my "what's your status?" while he is testing FS2 campain.

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
OK I'm a bit confused,...you wanting to make a mod or make renders of your mod?

And if you have TS you don't need to convert 3ds models...TS will import them and you can resave them as COBS  

------------------
Warlock
DeathAngel Squadron
CO

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon
Ghosts of the Past Forum
Ghosts of the Past WebSite
To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Vincenta196

sorry bout the confusion, i want to make a mod.
I feel kinda dumb saying this, but what does TS stand for?

------------------
"Casualties many: percent dead not known: we are winning." - PFC Raynold's response to my "what's your status?" while he is testing FS2 campain.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
TrueSpace.  A 3D modelling program.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
No worries   We ALL Started somewhere  

So fire away with the ?'s and we'll do our best to answer them  

------------------
Warlock
DeathAngel Squadron
CO

Ghosts of the Past Forum

Warlock

Vincenta196

TrueSpace, now i see. I guess I'll do a search for it or something like that (don't know if I need to buy it or just dl it). Now I know what i am looking for. About the weopons, is there anything special I need to do about those? I think I can handle the 3d part, but as for editing weopon damages and the statistics, where do I go to do that? I am told that there is a DMtools kit, and I have no clue where to get that, or what it stands for. (thx for the help about TS)

Btw, Warlock, thanx for the confidince booster, i don't feel like such a putz anymore

------------------

[This message has been edited by Vincenta196 (edited 03-20-2001).]

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Anytime  
Truespace 2 is a free download,..I can never spell they're company/site name so go to www.google.com  and do a search for Truespace 2 download and you should find it easily.

DMtools..I think they've got a link here at HLP for that,..not sure.

Weapons,..no real modeling needed (except turrets on Cap ships) once you have the DMtool set, extract the following from the sparky.vp

weapons.tbl
ships.tbl
weapon_exlpo.tbl

all the data you need to format is there  

You'll also need FSMM for the models.

Use the FRED2 forum on the main VBB, search for things like FSMM, TBL, etc and you can find a wealth of knowledge to get you going  

Another good idea is to first start out easy,..weapons modding..just play with a weapons .tbl entry and see what you can do ,..helps you get a grasp of what means what.

------------------
Warlock
DeathAngel Squadron
CO

Ghosts of the Past Forum

Warlock

Vincenta196

thanks for the links Warlock,it helps a lot. now I am tempted to hold back my campain till i get to put into it all fo my origional ideas, but i can always do another campain to please the people around me (at the station i am at)

------------------

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
First, go here. http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/fsdl.shtml

Go to The FS tools section, and download the following(in order of importance):

1. DLL Pack
2. VPView(either one, choose between stability and features)
3. TableView
4. Modelview
5. Aniview

Or, just get the DLL pack and the Freespace Kit(includes just about everything.)

Next step, install everything(in any order, doesn't matter.) Fire up TBLview first, just long enough to tell it yes to associate automatically with TBL files. Close TBLview.
Fire up VPView next, tell it to automatically associate with VP files, and go into options. Make sure it has found your Freespace home directory(and thus your VP files.) Use the Open VP file option, and select and open root.vp. You will see a nice organized list, and at the top will be a bunch of table files. To view them, just double click on them. TBLview will open automatically. If you actually want to edit them(and you will.  ) then from VPView right click on the TBL file of choice(start with Ships.tbl and Weapons.tbl) Tell it to extract to dir, and use the tree and the buttons at the bottom to create a freespace\data\tables\ directory. Hit OK, and tell it yes when it asks if you want to decode it.

Now, you can actually edit the table file. Use Notepad or Word to open up the TBL file you created. You will see a bunch of text behind semicolons- these are called "remarks" and don't actually affect the table data. If you want to add comments on what you are doing, just type a colon and everything after it on that line will not count. Scroll down, and you will eventually get to the ships/weapons. Each ship or weapon has a whole list of table entries with numbers and/or text, all of which can be changed. For details on what everything does, go to http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/fs1/mods/
for FS1 mods, http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/fs2/mods/  for FS2 mods. Almost everything is the same between them, however, so if you know how to do one, it's pretty easy to do the other.

Another thing to remember- when FS looks for files to use for textures, effects, models, table files, etc it looks first for those files in your Data directory, and if it doesn't find them there, it will look in the VP file. In other words, you don't have to change anything in the VP file- you just have your modded copy in the right folder in the Data directory, and that will take precedence over whatever is in the VP. If you wanted to change the Orion texture, for example, you could find the texture it uses in the other VP file, export it out(right click on it and export,) change colors and appearance, and put it in your data\maps folder. It's amazingly easy and simple, and I can't wait to see what amazing new ideas you manage to come up with.  

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
If you got 3dsmax, just keep it, modelize under it, then export to .3ds. Truespace loads 3ds file without any pb, and, trust me, you better work under 3dsmax than under truespace  .

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2
http://robotechlan.com/freespace2/
SCREW CANON!

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Don't they still offer it all together as a single kit?

Sides you left out VPView   That's a must have,..being all the rest is in there  

So Vince what station are you at?

Oh another word of advice, don't rush into a campaign to large, we've seen many a huge great idea come crashing down when it got too large to manage. A great way to learn is start with a few small things, play around and get a feel for everything. But above all else, allow plenty of time for your campaign. Like mine, we're not expecting a release until nearly 2002 and we started in 2000  

------------------
Warlock
DeathAngel Squadron
CO

Ghosts of the Past Forum

Warlock

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
You can ad the .tbl files in wordpad

------------------
     [email protected]               hello,great bb
Ik houd erg veel van bier
And girls.
yea suppernova's let her rip:D
Action is reaction by: Newton
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Vincenta196

I am officially stationed just outside of garder, but i live off base. I got a large group of marines to get hooked on FS2 (most of them I am in charge of).

as far as modeling goes, i am going to do as much as i can possibly do myself, but my graphic arts friend is way mroe fluent in 3DSM than I, so most likely I will be under his teaching.

as for large campains go..... um...... well...... i think i did abad thing. i posted earlier that the campaign I made was 34 missions long. now that i think of it, i think it's way more than that. i have the exact # of missions up somewhere (not all of them are on this pc) so i will try to put up the correct # thanx for the campain advice

------------------

Vincenta196

Well, I counted. 50 missions total, single playerable. 49 of those missions can be played multi-co-op. I also put up the page on my web page that has some info about the campaign (as well as a better blurb) and the title. it's at www.angelfire.com/games3/vincentscorner/freespace.html  talk to you all later

------------------

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I am continually amazed by the rate at which this community is willing to help people who can offer things to the community. Vincenta, as you can see from the above numerous and rich-with-useful-answers replies, we can help you pretty much wherever you want.

Well done, everyone - this is what makes me proud to be part of the community.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.