Author Topic: 3 Old Project Reminders for NEW modelers  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: 3 Old Project Reminders for NEW modelers
The Courageous is teh sex...

Something that's been yanking at my head for a while...is the Getter Three supposed to look like a Gratha?

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Yes it is...

I saw Michelle's Design on the SB.com site and asked her for permission (granted). I can't uv map so it's just raw right now.

Anyway I looked for designs that had hints of the original three, but are actually different. This is to represent a more modern distance from the 1976 series as the Getter-GX (meaning Xtra) is so watered down and rebuilt it bears almost no resemblance to teh former.

It was put together from a 74 Getter Wreck, a 76 Getter G wreck (The core), and teh new LAM airframe just invented (Battletech analog)

So here's teh break down su far (sunbject to change):

Getter 1 (mode1): Red Super Veritech  (Mode2): Aion
Getter 2 (Mode 1): Red vf-19 kaifire (Mode2)): A kitbash from Axeman and Atolm's works (will change)
Getter 3 (Mode1): Black F-302 (Mode2): Yellow Gartha (modified)

Keep in mind the final robot forms have bnot been created. Only Getter 1 has a temp version (Getter Armageddon by Shadow0000).

I want to have 3 new designs made for the three archtypes but also have a new interpretation.

Dual linking. Since this is a totally new approach the Getter's have "Half-modes", meaning only 2 can combine and still be functional.

They would now have 6 additions configurations to choose from that would not be robots, not equate to gunships...

ATM I have my eye on one for a 2/1 combo called "Hummingbird!" LOL

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Getter Robo G

Here are the high poly ships I posted a pic of not long ago with EA B5/amine influences.
There are all WIP's and I planned on poly reducign some or jsut kitbashing parts and crediting Sebastion (the author from Sci-fimeshes.com) problem is I don't have lwo and I think something is wrong.

3de fails to open then as well as TS..

Could someone with LWO open then and save them as cobs or 3ds (NOT max) ?

I could then access them probably.

any help would be appreciated.,  It's a 27mb DL

http://www.4shared.com/file/64810147/49233eac/ships.html

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Offline Getter Robo G

Ok, just scored a vf-11 for testing.

All the usual stuff fails but I think it should convert?

Can someone run this through PCS2 and post the .pof? I can reverse engineer it from there if needed just like I did with the Courageous.  :D

Once ready I plan to make two versions. The white main one, and the PINK Mylene custom textured one.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Getter Robo G

Bump for app question...

Do any of you use sketchup?

I've been exploring their database, but when I export to .3ds from a skp file it makes like 10 times the polys!!!

IS there something about the program that is wasteful? Even the simpliest looking structures are simply bloated with polys. Is there a specific set of options in under the export interface I need to click to do the bare minimum???

I don't mind only using some of them for renders, but 99% of the models that look like they would be 200 at most end up over 20k!!!

Offline Water

Bump for app question...

Do any of you use sketchup?

I've been exploring their database, but when I export to .3ds from a skp file it makes like 10 times the polys!!!

IS there something about the program that is wasteful? Even the simpliest looking structures are simply bloated with polys. Is there a specific set of options in under the export interface I need to click to do the bare minimum???

I don't mind only using some of them for renders, but 99% of the models that look like they would be 200 at most end up over 20k!!!
It's probably better for you to pretend that most of the sketchup models shouldn't be touched gamewise. A skilled sketchup modeler can create and export a game type model out of it, but most models produced are render models. It the price paid for making modeling easy - the model becomes more complex internally.

vf-11 pof  http://files.filefront.com/vf11b7z/;11978947;/fileinfo.html

For the lwo files - http://www.micromouse.ca/    AccuTrans 3D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:29:54 am by Water »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ok, just scored a vf-11 for testing.

Can someone run this through PCS2 and post the .pof? I can reverse engineer it from there if needed just like I did with the Courageous.  :D

Here ya go (beaten to it :rolleyes:

You have a VF-S?

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Getter Robo G

Water: Thanks! I'll try that VF-11 out soon! I need to revamp the basic map and then make a mylene one (pink).

Colonel: Hehe didn't notice earlier you could try diff formats...

It seems the .3ds exporter is bonked (at least for me).

.Obj works better but has some sort of texture issues. I can open the raw model and add a base color but for some reason adding certain textures causes 3dexpltation to crash? That's never happened before from a texture assigning! :)

We have three VF-s's. The old one, the HW2 one I was using as a placeholder, and the new Macorss VO one which I have decided is the long term placeholder if not final model.

Have you gone through our screenshots thread on Game Warden?
I also have a stickie for a "to DL List".

If things don't pick up I'm afraid matt will cull us from the active list of mods.

Yeah I get what you mean about sketchup. I was just really surprised how good people could use it, especially some fo those 500k+ models. I reduced a 500k carrier to only 230kish just fro my own fun (maybe a render later) in a form more CPU friendly as soem fo them I can barely rotate without crashing, lol!)

There are gobs of talented people who contributed there... Maybe some of our artists should start accounts there as a backup of there works, and to spread awareness of FS2 modeling.

Not only is the warehuse a great source of models, more importantly having all of them in one place under a searchable engine is awesome for IDEAS when thinking of a ship design because all the various styles can be seen relatively quickly on one site!!!

As for MACROSS (not teh RT mod) I made a new freind and will be gettign some M7/MF models from him (like a SWEET low poly B7!) I have it now and untextured VF-17, Uraga Carrier and North Hampton Frigate(?)

Anyway I hooked him up with MP's M7 models and more anime love will no doubt follow, non mod related, but is a great boost to my fanfic pic ability! :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 01:21:47 pm by Getter Robo G »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Make a Macross conversion with VF-25 Messiahs and I'll play it forever. ;7

Offline Getter Robo G

soon as I can secure one I will.

Anyway just to show i do use teh things people help me with:

Vf11b main and Sound Force Mylene version (pink)

Not good with placed textures (UV maps) but will try to get the patches/icons/decals on them ASAP.

But they work and blow up! Good enough for now!